Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Key shut off won't work on snow thrower,need help.

I have an old Montgomery Ward, with a Tecumseh engine, snow thrower
that keeps running when I take the plastic key out. I turned it off by
turning the choke down. I notice the other day that it was leaking gas
( I think from the carb) when the key was left in and seemed to have
stopped when I took it out. How does the key work and is this
something I need looked at or fixed??

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an old Montgomery Ward, with a Tecumseh engine, snow thrower
that keeps running when I take the plastic key out. I turned it off by
turning the choke down. I notice the other day that it was leaking gas
( I think from the carb) when the key was left in and seemed to have
stopped when I took it out. How does the key work and is this
something I need looked at or fixed??

Thanks

Mostlikely just shorts out the magneto, as likely should happen when
the
throttle is moved to the very slowest position. AFAIK such keys are
merely safety devices, to keep kids from getting hurt.

On such engines, nothing so sophisticated as key shutoff of fuel
supply.

Fuel leak likely from leaking o-ring, like around main mixture
adjustment,
or leaking float valve, or perforate float. Carb-rebuild time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it has a plastic key then it most likely has a metal
contact inside that has lost some of its spring.
Basically when you pull the key out the metal contact inside
is suppose to touch the ground and short out killing the ignition.
Since most people like to leave the key in for all these years
the metal contact that is suppose to short out looses its spring
and doesnt work right. You can remove it and bend it again to
give it some spring again. Easy fix.

Now the carb problem.... You might have an issue where there
is a little dirt in the needle valve. If the carb hasnt been cleaned
in
years I would bet that's the problem. I'd try cleaning it out with a
little
carb cleaner. Otherwise a small carb rebuild wouldnt hurt either.
(basically clean it out and replace all the old gaskets)
I would also check the float and make sure its not filled with gas.
Sometimes they fail from a pinhole leak and the float doesnt work
the way its suppose to anymore.

Tom

wrote:
I have an old Montgomery Ward, with a Tecumseh engine, snow thrower
that keeps running when I take the plastic key out. I turned it off by
turning the choke down. I notice the other day that it was leaking gas
( I think from the carb) when the key was left in and seemed to have
stopped when I took it out. How does the key work and is this
something I need looked at or fixed??

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If it has a plastic key then it most likely has a metal
contact inside that has lost some of its spring.
Basically when you pull the key out the metal contact inside
is suppose to touch the ground and short out killing the ignition.
Since most people like to leave the key in for all these years
the metal contact that is suppose to short out loses its spring
and doesn't work right. You can remove it and bend it again to
give it some spring again. Easy fix.

On ours the wire attached to a shorting contact on the lowest setting
of the throttle broke off.
So we used to throttle down and then choke the engine to stop.
Finally last year doing some other maintenance we reattached the wire
and now we just push the throttle right down to where it contacts and
shorts out the ignition.
IIRC it is the same circuit that is grounded (shorted out to frame) by
removal of the plastic 'key'?
Our is a Tecumseh engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I notice the other day that it was leaking gas
( I think from the carb) when the key was left in and seemed to have
stopped when I took it out. How does the key work and is this
something I need looked at or fixed??

I think you are relating the unrelated, the fuel leak was likely a
result of shutting it off with the choke, and it stopped because it had
leveled out, not because you pulled the key. The no shut off is as the
other posters have explained probably due to the contacts separated by
the key being tired & no doubt an easy fix. If the key enclosure is
impenetrable, you could always replace the whole thing with almost any
sort of a switch, a key switch preferable if youngsters are a problem.
I bought a used mower that had a piece of spring steel bolted next to
the spark plug, you push it with your foot to shut down, crude but
effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The carb bowl is located on the bottom of the
carb. It normally has a 1/2" nut on the bottom
of it. I would turn off the gas (if it has a cutoff switch)
If no fuel cutoff switch, just use a good plastic cup
under the carb to catch the gas. Once drained you
can take off the carb bowl. In there you might see
some dirt on the bottom of the bowl, clean it out.

The needle valve is visible when you pull the
float all the way down. The needle looks like a little
metal pencil with a wire attached that connects to the
float. Easy to get out, a little more tricky to get back
in. Clean the needle valve off with a carb cleaner....

I can go on here about how to do a basic rebuild...
Sound like something you want to do????
If not that's ok.

A quick way of taking care of a leaking carb can also
be just to put in a fuel cutoff switch under the gas
tank of that snowblower. That way when its
off no more gas pours out. When you run it, its
not much of a problem at that point because the
gas is properly being sucked into the motor.

Tom

wrote:
Where do I find the float? I am just a user and know nothing
mechanical.

Thanks

Now the carb problem.... You might have an issue where there
is a little dirt in the needle valve. If the carb hasnt been cleaned
in
years I would bet that's the problem. I'd try cleaning it out with a
little
carb cleaner. Otherwise a small carb rebuild wouldnt hurt either.
(basically clean it out and replace all the old gaskets)
I would also check the float and make sure its not filled with gas.
Sometimes they fail from a pinhole leak and the float doesnt work
the way its suppose to anymore.

Tom

Snow thrower with track drive? Welmoed Sisson Home Ownership 8 December 12th 06 02:44 PM
Starting a Snow Thrower. PaPaPeng Home Repair 5 October 30th 06 12:58 PM
Snow thrower yaofeng Home Repair 14 December 7th 05 03:42 AM
snow thrower advice jb Home Repair 18 November 12th 03 05:43 PM
Gonna buy a snow thrower SJ Home Ownership 4 September 15th 03 08:02 PM