Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Key shut off won't work on snow thrower,need help.

wrote:
I have an old Montgomery Ward, with a Tecumseh engine, snow thrower
that keeps running when I take the plastic key out. I turned it off by
turning the choke down. I notice the other day that it was leaking gas
( I think from the carb) when the key was left in and seemed to have
stopped when I took it out. How does the key work and is this
something I need looked at or fixed??

Thanks

As other have said, the switch is nothing more than a simple shorting
operation. Something (probably a spring) is no longer shorting out.
Simplest fix is to just pull the wire off the switch and fasten it so
you can just push it against the machine to make a short. A remote
possible is that something has pulled the wire loose leading to the
motor.

Harry K