Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Enamel through an airless

I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless? Cleanup
with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run through
an airless?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Post to rec.woodworking, they know about sprayers.

I was told over there that in general, latex is tougher on nozzles than
oil -- at least in air spray guns. So it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's just two containers, tho, why not just brush it on? By the time
you've figgered all this out, you'd be done.
Mebbe a garage-floor-type epoxy paint, if durability is important. But
rustoleium is good.

You might also try rustoleum primer in a spray can, followed by a one of
their spray enamels. Their primer is really tough. I spray the undersides
of my vehicles with a cupla cans, when I get a chance.
--
EA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2013 3:00 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless? Cleanup
with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run through
an airless?

Steve

Are you painting five-gallon containers or using five gallons of paint?
I have no idea about airless sprayers, but used a Preval sprayer
(about $4 for can of air and 8 oz container for the paint) and Rustoleum
enamel, which worked flawlessly when I repainted an old range hood. I
had used a Preval with alkyd semi to paint a bunch of louvered doors,
and used Penetrol to thin, per the instructions with the
sprayer....Preval was perfect for the louvered doors and gave a lot less
spatter than regular spray cans. Only occ. drip, which can be corrected
right away with a small foam brush wrung out in mineral spirits.

Since the range hood was so small, I think I decided to just use m.s.
for thinning...didn't even take the hood down, just masked and laid out
tarp and newspaper. It looked brand new when I was done.

I keep extra Preval sprayers on hand for my frequent bouts of
inspiration (and the brainstorms that drive my husband crazy) )

http://www.preval.com/sites/default/files/Preval.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2013 3:00 PM, Steve B wrote:
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless? Cleanup
with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run through
an airless?

Steve

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgimages/d...eEnamel_07.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:00:50 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless? Cleanup
with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run through
an airless?

Steve

Be just a little bit more vague, Steve.

Now:

I would not pull out an airless for only 4-5 gallons of paint. RTM,
for the enamel compatibility of the sprayer Spray tips too). Clean-up
takes longer in a good airless that shoots 5 gallons in 20 minutes.

Pick your poison. And so on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Steve

Cleanup may take 5 gallons or more of solvent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:22:54 -0800, "Pat" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Steve

Cleanup may take 5 gallons or more of solvent.

.... or cheaper is water
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup
with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through
an airless?

Steve

Be just a little bit more vague, Steve.

Now:

I would not pull out an airless for only 4-5 gallons of paint. RTM,
for the enamel compatibility of the sprayer Spray tips too). Clean-up
takes longer in a good airless that shoots 5 gallons in 20 minutes.

Pick your poison. And so on.

You okay, Oren?

I was merely asking if the liquids in enamel would be bad for an airless
sprayer. I have since read up, and have changed to an alkalyd paint, as it
is gentler on the sprayer, and has a good outdoor performance rating.

The surface I am going to paint is the corrugated sides of seagoing
containers, and metal similar to that with the corrugations. A nightmare
for a roller, and a hell of a long time for a brush. I don't see any other
practical way to get a nice coat on there, avoid wet lines, and get good
even coverage.

Hope you feel better soon.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Steve

Cleanup may take 5 gallons or more of solvent.

AHA! A relevant response. Thanks. I had thought of that when I asked the
question. I have changed choices to alkalyd, which can be cleaned up with
mineral spirits, and hot soapy water. I think I knew the answer when I
posted the question, but I like to run my ideas in front of others, because
sometimes, I learn things, and avoid pitfalls that others may have fallen
into.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am
thinking
of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Steve

Cleanup may take 5 gallons or more of solvent.

... or cheaper is water

Will water clean and dissolve enamel?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Pat" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to paint a couple of containers, about five gallons. I am
thinking of using Rustoleum enamel.

Is there anything particular to running enamel through an airless?
Cleanup with mineral spirits?

Investigate another paint, such as acrylic latex?

Suggestions for a long lasting tough exterior paint that can be run
through an airless?

Steve

Cleanup may take 5 gallons or more of solvent.

AHA! A relevant response.

Christ, a fukn Ig-clone.
--
EA

Thanks. I had thought of that when I asked the
question. I have changed choices to alkalyd, which can be cleaned up with
mineral spirits, and hot soapy water. I think I knew the answer when I
posted the question, but I like to run my ideas in front of others,
because sometimes, I learn things, and avoid pitfalls that others may have
fallen into.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

For the record you can run any paint you want through it. Just use
the appropriate solvent to clean. You can recirc the solvent but let
it spray the left over paint out. You can usually tell when the spray
stops being paint and starts being solvent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I was merely asking if the liquids in enamel would be bad for an
airless sprayer. I have since read up, and have changed to an
alkalyd paint, as it is gentler on the sprayer, and has a good
outdoor performance rating.

What liquids are there in "enamel" that there aren't in alkyd paint?
Actually, how does alkyd paint differ from "enamel"? AFAIK, enamel (paint)
is just glossy oil paint. Or maybe you mean a water born alkyd?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Will water clean and dissolve enamel?

You're talking about oil paint, right? Yes if you use a detergent too, no
if just water.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

Will water clean and dissolve enamel?

You're talking about oil paint, right? Yes if you use a detergent too, no
if just water.

Someone asking DAT Q proly shouldn't be using a spray gun.
And this is after doing some reading??? goodgawd....
--
EA

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

I was merely asking if the liquids in enamel would be bad for an
airless sprayer. I have since read up, and have changed to an
alkalyd paint, as it is gentler on the sprayer, and has a good
outdoor performance rating.

What liquids are there in "enamel" that there aren't in alkyd paint?
Actually, how does alkyd paint differ from "enamel"? AFAIK, enamel
(paint) is just glossy oil paint. Or maybe you mean a water born alkyd?

--

dadiOH

Herein lies my confusion.

I used to use enamel way back before California outlawed it, and then the
ornamental metal business had to readjust big time. At that time, in the
80's, I used what was called "enamel". It used solvents to clean up. It
was an oil based paint, and water would not clean it up very well from tools
or sprayer.

I tend to think that what I am thinking about is VOCs. The stuff in the
paint that keeps it wet while contained, and help it dry when exposed to
air. And the VOCs (volatile organic compounds) would be what eats on the
soft plastic parts of the sprayer.

Enter: alkyd. Described as a synthetic oil vehicle that cleans up with
mineral spirits. Not sure what the VOCs, or comparable component, does to
plastic parts, but the fact that it would clean up with common thinner makes
me think the VOCs are not as strong or corrosive as other solvents used to
clean up paint.

I am asking what to use, as I obviously don't know. I am going to paint the
exterior of two ocean-going containers, along with some corrugated metal I
put on them. It is going to be exterior, exposed to a harsh environment. I
would like to go with something that it doesn't take plastic eating
components. I have used alkyd before, and it performs to what I want. The
clean up seemed easier than "real" enamel.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions on what to use.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Steve, get a good quality oil based paint. Equipment enamel works well,
like the stuff Tractor Supply sells for painting a tractor. Water blast
the container to remove any loose material - let dry.

Make sure to strain the paint - an old ladies nylon will work. Life is
better if you have a reversible tip for your gun - Graco calls theirs
RAC. I would use a 515 (10" spray pattern, .015 )

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

[...]

I would use a paint that is meant for that purpose. Most likely, an oil
paint, possibly poly (not likely to find that except at a marine store).
Read some at
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProductFinder.asp?pfm=BBS

Automotive paints should perform well too. I know nothing about them but
here, briefly, is what I know about paint in general, learned both
empirically and by reading...

Paint is a coating meant to protect and/or beautify a surface. All paints
consist of:
1. a material that will dry and/or cure to a film (a resin)
2. a liquid to keep #1 in suspension or dissolved until use (a vehicle)
3. something to make it opaque; used to be, it was usually white lead,
now, most is titanium oxide
4. color
5. possibly, other materials to modify properties of the above

Take away the last two and you have varnish. (Or lacquer. Or shellac.)

There are a whole bunch of different types of paints but for our purposes we
can divide them into two: oil base and water base.

Water base paints use acrylic, vinyl, PVA and others for the resin, water
for the vehicle. Their films are durable and elastic but not very hard.

Oil base paints use alkyd, polyurethane, phenolic and others for the resin;
the most common is alkyd. They use petroleum based products such as mineral
spirits for the vehicle (used to use turpentine). Their films are durable
and hard but not very elastic. Any of various oils are added to the mix to
increase elasticity but at the expense of hardness...more oil = more elastic
but less hard. Nothing in oil paint will hurt your sprayer.

When you were talking about "enamel" you were really talking about plain old
oil paint. AFAIK, it is always glossy unless something else is added to it
(by the manufacturer) to reduce the sheen. Used to be, you could go into
any decent paint store and buy some flatting powder (talc). Ask for that
now and all you would get are blank stares.

The manufacturers of water base paint call some of their product "enamel".
It isn't; it is neither hard nor as glossy. Moreover, it takes months to
cure...set something on a shelf six months after being painted with it and
it is very likely it will wind up stuck to the shelf. I think acrylic
paints are great for walls, wonderful for the exterior of a house but suck
for anything else.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

Regarding that corrugated metal you put on the containers, is it galvanized?
If so, it will need special attention. Here are some informative links...

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...vanized-metal/

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/ho...ized-metal.htm

http://www.galvanizeit.org/about-hot...vanized-steel/

http://diynovice.wordpress.com/2009/...vanized-metal/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2013 11:00 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Alkyd paint IS oil based. Do NOT get any water in an airless hose when
cleaning up an oil based paint, it will curdle the inside of the hose
and you get to buy a new hose. If it takes you 5 gallons of thinner,
you're doing it wrong.

What a horrendous collection of mis information.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
On 1/28/2013 11:00 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

It's hard to believe the subject of oil paint and water even came up.
--
EA

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
dadiOH wrote:

Regarding that corrugated metal you put on the containers, is it
galvanized? If so, it will need special attention. Here are some
informative links...

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...vanized-metal/

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/ho...ized-metal.htm

http://www.galvanizeit.org/about-hot...vanized-steel/

http://diynovice.wordpress.com/2009/...vanized-metal/

Proly should have the subtitle, Why NOT to paint zinc.... goodgawd....

In your previous post, you omitted "epoxy paints". DanG mentioned
"equipment paints" -- I wonder if those are epoxy paints. I see epoxy
paints as garage floor paints, as well.
--
EA

--