Posted to alt.home.repair

Default enamel through an airless

I need to spray about five gallons of alklyd enamel through a Graco XR7
sprayer. This will be the most efficient way to do this project. I have
sprayed a lot of latex paint through it over the years, and it did fine.
Just wondering what the differences are with enamel. Clean with mineral
spirits? Check to make sure I am using the right orifice? Tips
appreciated.

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:03:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to spray about five gallons of alklyd enamel through a Graco XR7
sprayer. This will be the most efficient way to do this project. I have
sprayed a lot of latex paint through it over the years, and it did fine.
Just wondering what the differences are with enamel. Clean with mineral
spirits? Check to make sure I am using the right orifice? Tips
appreciated.

Steve

Manual:

"To spray oil-based materials after spraying
water-based materials, flush the system
thoroughly with mineral spirits or a
compatible oil-based flushing solvent first.
The solvent flowing out of the prime tube
should not contain any water."

It also states when spraying solvent, ensure proper electrical
grounding.

Page 13 has a chart for selecting tips.

http://wwwd.graco.com/Distributors/DLibrary.nsf/Files/309225/$file/309225W.pdf

It's to dang hot to paint -- here anyway :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 18, 11:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I need to spray about five gallons of alklyd enamel through a Graco XR7
sprayer. *This will be the most efficient way to do this project. *I have
sprayed *a lot of latex paint through it over the years, and it did fine.
Just wondering what the differences are with enamel. *Clean with mineral
spirits? *Check to make sure I am using the right orifice? * *Tips
appreciated.

snip

Any place that sells a customer a 5 gallon batch of expensive enamel
surely has some expertise in spray equipment requirements. Failing
that, make up a list of questions and contact Graco customer service
and ditto for the paint manufacturer. With the price of paints these
days, you're prudent to get brand specific recommendations about
solvents, Penetrol addition, viscometer checks, whatever. Generally,
IMO the enamel painting will be somewhat easier than latex, with more
chance of runs perhaps. Good luck.

joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We worked from 5 PM to 1 AM yesterday, and will do so again tonight. You
musta had that great sunset we had yesterday. WOW! And then
..................... COOL! With those big hotel parking lot lights out
there, it's like daytime, just 30 degrees cooler. I got to get this
squirted so I can get it buttoned up. Have a lot of low spots to fill up,
and prep, but it's getting there. If I don't spray it with an airless, but
the little hand pot, I know I will come up with a nice checkerboard effect.
Plus, I want it fairly thick. Will have some new pics soon. Had to add
three more rows of laterals to screw the sheets to per company engineer.
Hoisting frame next item, 3" sq. tube, 16' span, 10' between rails so I can
lift boat off trailer, and have hoist system for when I feel lazy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote Generally,
IMO the enamel painting will be somewhat easier than latex, with more
chance of runs perhaps. Good luck.

joe

This is metal, and is going to be outside 24/7, do latex is not an option.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:09:20 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

We are boiling at 108°F right now. I understand why they build roads
and overpasses at night. I won't work outside in July/August.

At 5 o'clock the Sun hasn't set yet and is cooled to 80°F well after
dark. My body refuses to work night shifts anymore after years of
shift abuse, but it is a perfect time.

In one more month I can work outside :-/

The XR7 will put 5 gallons on in a very short time. Let the metal
cool off awhile...

Is this your cargo container trusses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve .013 tip 10" fan pattern so you need a .1310 tip
strain paint though panty hose before spraying
if its hot out float a little mineral spirtits on top of paint to keep top
from skinning over
wear protective clothing tyvek and a mask as well as a spray sock
two light coats not one heavy coat,this paint runs like a greyhound

Sherwin Williams makes a "d t m" (direct to metal acylic) that works great
on metal
in that case use a .1510 tip and float water.Clean out with water and and
chase water out with laquer thinner

"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to spray about five gallons of alklyd enamel through a Graco XR7
sprayer. This will be the most efficient way to do this project. I have
sprayed a lot of latex paint through it over the years, and it did fine.
Just wondering what the differences are with enamel. Clean with mineral
spirits? Check to make sure I am using the right orifice? Tips
appreciated.

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now on facebook, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Is this your cargo container trusses?

Yeah, the trusses and the containers themselves.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 12:03*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I need to spray about five gallons of alklyd enamel through a Graco XR7
sprayer. *This will be the most efficient way to do this project. *I have
sprayed *a lot of latex paint through it over the years, and it did fine.
Just wondering what the differences are with enamel. *Clean with mineral
spirits? *Check to make sure I am using the right orifice? * *Tips
appreciated.

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now on facebook, too.

Buy a paper cone type strainer, look into adding some "penetrol" if
the paint does not go on the way you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:47:44 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

Buy a paper cone type strainer, look into adding some "penetrol" if
the paint does not go on the way you want.

The paper cone (do they make them in 5 gallon size?) is great for a
quart size spray gun. For a 5 gallon bucket, HD sells a 5 gallon mesh
bags (and 1 gallon).

They work very well. Line a clean bucket, pour the paint into it and
then lift the bag out. Strains all the "goobers" out that can clog a
tip.