Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is silicone caulk safe for use on food items

Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid)
livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru
it. I'm thinking about using a piece of tin, putting 100% pure silicone
on the tin, and bolting it thru the plastic. But is silicone safe for
this sort of use? I dont want to make my horses sick.

Or, has anyone used something else for this type of repair? I was
wondering about using fiberglass autobody matting and the fiberglass
liquid, but question if that will adhere to the plastic. I'm not sure
what type of plastic is used on these tanks, and not sure how to find
out.

Another thought is gluing the tin on with JB-Weld, but again, will it
adhere to the plastic?

Then too, is fiberglass and JB-Weld safe on food items?

I was looking for the MSDS sheets for silicone, but google has 3.6
million possibilities and seems to refer to OSHA, but they dont seem to
have the sheets on their HUGE website that would take days to hunt thru
all of it. Then there's http://www.msdsonline.com, which wants us to
pay $499.00 for the data. Screw that! This should be free to the
public.
I'm at a loss where to find these sheets online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The is the sealant page for McMaster Carr. Most of the sealants include
the MSDS sheet once you drill down by clicking on the product number.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sealants/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2013 12:50 AM, wrote:
[...]

There's stuff made for sealing fish tanks.
Suspect that's safe...but check to be sure.

Here's another place to start:
http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

wrote in message
Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid)
livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru
it. I'm thinking about using a piece of tin, putting 100% pure silicone
on the tin, and bolting it thru the plastic. But is silicone safe for

Why don't you call Rubbermaid customer service and ask their advice since
they would know....

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/...re_stock_tanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 5:54*am, "SRN" wrote:
wrote in message

Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid)
livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru
it. *I'm thinking about using a piece of tin, putting 100% pure silicone
on the tin, and bolting it thru the plastic. *But is silicone safe for

Why don't you call Rubbermaid customer service and ask their advice since
they would know....

http://www.rubbermaidcommercial.com/...egory-expanded...

Rubbermaid makes the tank, not the silicone sealant that
he wants to use....

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

Rubbermaid makes the tank, not the silicone sealant that
he wants to use....

Rubbermaid knows what type of plastic it is and what type of glue or sealant
will work...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Heat up where you want to join with a hair dryer, then "weld" it with a hot glue
gun. If it's a large hole, you'll need patch material, perhaps cut from a bleach
or similar bottle. Be sure to "weld" it on both sides. The hair dryer gets the
plastic warm, so the hot glue will bond to it better. This all assumes the tank
is polyethylene.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:12:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

[...]

You can find the MSDS for most such things with a simple Google
search; "framis +MSDS".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:12:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid)
livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru
it.

....snip...

I was looking for the MSDS sheets for silicone, but google has 3.6
million possibilities and seems to refer to OSHA, but they dont seem to
have the sheets on their HUGE website that would take days to hunt thru
all of it. Then there's http://www.msdsonline.com, which wants us to
pay $499.00 for the data. Screw that! This should be free to the
public.
I'm at a loss where to find these sheets online.

The is the sealant page for McMaster Carr. Most of the sealants include
the MSDS sheet once you drill down by clicking on the product number.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sealants/

You can find the MSDS for most such things with a simple Google
search; "framis +MSDS".

Is framis safe for use on food items?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 1:50*am, wrote:
[...]

If Rubbermaid does not help you, there is an inexpensive FDA approved
silicone based caluking tube sealer/glue you can buy:

Has that traditional 'vinegar' smell. When My Hamilton Beach
coffemaker started leaking, some kind person here recommended an FDA
approved high temperature silicone based sealer from ?? Cost around
$10 for a tube. Worked PERFECTLY! I even used it to seal cracked/split
aluminum pie tin that started to leak. It does NOT stick well to
plastic like you find in the store bought mashed potato tubs.

As long as you use the selant as just that a gasketing material it
will work for you.

I put the contact info in a place where I will always be able to find
it instantly ...and can't remember where that is.
Try a search in this group for coffe maker repair [coffee pot?] my
name and silicone based FDA approved, possibly during 2011.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2013 3:50 AM, wrote:
[...]

As others suggest, you can probably find the MSDS on line by Googling
MSDS and product name or get it from the manufacturer.

MSDS will not tell you if it approved for food contact, only
manufacturer can tell you as there may be components he need not
disclose on the MSDS. I write MSDS's myself for small manufacturers and
something like a sealant could contain a dozen chemicals and if the
manufacturer was considering food contact all of his chemical suppliers
would have to approve of the use of their chemical.

If your use is for something to hold water for animals, I would feel
safe with the mention of fish tank sealant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 19, 1:50*am, wrote:
Actually it's not really a food item, but I have a plastic (Rubbermaid)
livestock tank that has a hole in it from the tank heater melting thru
it. *I'm thinking about using a piece of tin, putting 100% pure silicone
on the tin, and bolting it thru the plastic. *But is silicone safe for
this sort of use? *I dont want to make my horses sick.

Or, has anyone used something else for this type of repair? *I was
wondering about using fiberglass autobody matting and the fiberglass
liquid, but question if that will adhere to the plastic. *I'm not sure
what type of plastic is used on these tanks, and not sure how to find
out.

Most of that type of tank is made from polyethylene or polypropylene.
Adhesives do not still well to them. I'd use your methods of a
silicone sealant and bolts.

Silicone is food safe. It is used in all sorts of medical devices,
implants, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The is the sealant page for McMaster Carr. Most of the sealants
include the MSDS sheet once you drill down by clicking on the
product number.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sealants/

You can find the MSDS for most such things with a simple Google
search; "framis +MSDS".

Doesn't a retail store have to have a copy of the MSDS for each item they
sell?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:19:08 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

[...]

Do you know how to use Google?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:50:43 -0600, "HeyBub"

The is the sealant page for McMaster Carr. Most of the sealants
include the MSDS sheet once you drill down by clicking on the
product number.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sealants/

You can find the MSDS for most such things with a simple Google
search; "framis +MSDS".

Doesn't a retail store have to have a copy of the MSDS for each item they
sell?

I don't believe so, though there may be one in the back for employees
(OSHA).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Do you recognize a joke when you see one?

BTW... Googling framis +MSDS returns one hit:

This thread via Google groups. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:48:06 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

[...]

I suppose I really do need to put smileys everywhere. Lefties are
just too literal. No brain.

BTW... Googling framis +MSDS returns one hit:

This thread via Google groups. ;-)

Senior Member

I would use the fish tank sealant.

You see, the reason they don't recommend using ordinary silicone for making or repairing aquariums is because ordinary silicone caulk will contain mildewcides. The way mildewcides work in silicone caulk is exactly the same way they work in mildew resistant latex paints; the mildewcide has such a high affinity for water, that it migrates through the caulk or paint to the surface, where it kills any mildew spores before they have a chance to grow.

The problem with using regular silicone on an aquarium, is that the mildewcide leaching out of the caulk could kill the fish. The amounts we're talking about are small, so I doubt it would have any effect on a horse, but for your own peace of mind, better to use a caulk meant for fish tanks.

I'm sure you could buy a fish tank silicone in any pet store, especially those that cater to people that keep tropical fish.

Silicone caulk dadiOH[_3_] Home Repair 26 December 27th 11 07:41 AM
Help! Help! Silicone caulk Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 13 September 22nd 07 01:08 PM
silicone caulk Patt Home Repair 3 June 26th 06 03:26 PM
silicone caulk MKnott Home Repair 1 November 23rd 05 12:32 AM
Food safe woods Chris Nail Woodworking 7 January 6th 05 11:37 AM