Chris Nail

Default Food safe woods

I want to build a butcher block table and need a little information
about the types of woods that can be chosen. I have thought about
using strictly hard maple, but I am considering trying to build
something like the one that David Marks built. Does anybody have a
recommendation on the types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

Chris

Steven and Gail Peterson

Have you looked at his website? There should be a detailed, step-by-step
procedure including what types of wood were used, and what finish. Try
www.diynet.net.

Let me know how this works out.

Steve

"Chris Nail" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a butcher block table and need a little information
about the types of woods that can be chosen. I have thought about
using strictly hard maple, but I am considering trying to build
something like the one that David Marks built. Does anybody have a
recommendation on the types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old Nick

On 5 Jan 2005 05:44:24 -0800, "Chris Nail"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I want to build a butcher block table
types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

hemlock, oleander.

I am glad you thanked me in advance..........
Leon

Hard maple would be my suggestion and no other. Many of the other woods
that look nice by contrast do not wear or hold up as well as hard maple. If
you are building for show pick any wood. If you are building for use for a
long time I suggest maple and especially advise against open grain woods
like oak or walnut.

"Chris Nail" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a butcher block table and need a little information
about the types of woods that can be chosen. I have thought about
using strictly hard maple, but I am considering trying to build
something like the one that David Marks built. Does anybody have a
recommendation on the types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

Chris

George

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On 5 Jan 2005 05:44:24 -0800, "Chris Nail"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I want to build a butcher block table
types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

hemlock, oleander.

I am glad you thanked me in advance..........

Except, of course, the hemlock you refer to is an herb, not a tree.

Best possible answer is to avoid those woods which are rich in extractives.
You can search for "toxic woods," avoiding any which are listed as a
sensitizer, but the rule of nose - if it's sharp-smelling, forget it, and
the rule of color - if it can be extracted by boiling, forget it. Should be
pretty good.

Or you could use what everybody else does - beech, birch, maple.

Eastern Hemlock's a tanbark tree with a bad odor, so you wouldn't want to
use it.

JRYezierski

Ignore any open/wide grain hardwood(such as oak,ash) or softwood
(pine,popular)
Use a tight close grain such as hard maple,birch,cherry,mesquite.
Is this table going to used as a cutting butcher block?
Or is it a normal table with butcher block style(just end grain of many
pieces glued togather?
If its going to used as a dining non cutting table than use any type of wood
you want,closed grain or open grain.

Jerome
"Leon" wrote in message
om...
Hard maple would be my suggestion and no other. Many of the other woods
that look nice by contrast do not wear or hold up as well as hard maple.
If you are building for show pick any wood. If you are building for use
for a long time I suggest maple and especially advise against open grain
woods like oak or walnut.

"Chris Nail" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a butcher block table and need a little information
about the types of woods that can be chosen. I have thought about
using strictly hard maple, but I am considering trying to build
something like the one that David Marks built. Does anybody have a
recommendation on the types of wood to ignore?
Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old Nick

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:53:32 -0500, "George" george@least vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

it was an hoke

George

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:53:32 -0500, "George" george@least vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

it was an hoke

SO? I get a chance to give a useful answer and tweak you too. Win all the
way.