Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default Wireless kitchen blender

I saw an segment on Headline News this morning about new technology at
a tradeshow. It showed a kitchen blender that is cordless. It gets
its power inductively from a specific location on the countertop. If
you move the blender away from the location, the blender doesn't work.

I laughed at it because I can just imagine how this would go in my
house. My wife would want this new blender. I would have to replace
the countertop with this new type of countertop. I would have to run
AC power to the underside of the countertop. Of course, this would
require replacing the kitchen sink and faucet, as well. Due to
replacing the countertop, the walls would have to be painted because
I'm sure there would be a noticable difference. With new painted
walls, the cabinets would need to be cleaned or replaced. Now that
the cabinets, walls and countertop are looking like new, the floor
would definitely need to be replaced. Maybe even have to get all new
appliances as well.

All for a freaking $100 blender.....

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:
[...]

What makes you think it only costs $100? A Vitamix
is like $400 and that's nothing exotic. They do come up
with some real whacky ideas though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 11:19*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 11, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:

[...]

with some real whacky ideas though.- Hide quoted text -

What would happen if you left a knife, for example, on the countertop
over the subsurface gizmo? Would the knife start twirling around on
the countertop? Could be hazardous to the body of anyone nearby, not
just the wallet for initial installation (or the resulting kitchen
makeover)..
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 11, 10:19*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 11, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:

[...]

Yea, I probably low-balled the price. I can see the convenience of
being cordless, but now they are adding another point of failure into
the equation. If all of the appliances go to this new technology and
your countertop fails, thats a much larger problem than just replacing
the appliance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Jan 11, 10:36*am, rlz wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:19*am, "
wrote:

On Jan 11, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:

[...]

the appliance.- Hide quoted text -

Here's the link to the story:
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/1...09#videoplayer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 12:59*pm, rlz wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:36*am, rlz wrote:

On Jan 11, 10:19*am, "
wrote:

On Jan 11, 11:55*am, rlz wrote:

[...]

Here's the link to the story:http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/1...ario-armst...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, it's pretty lame. There are already cordless blenders
that use rechargable batteries for those that don't want a
cord. I don't need one of those either. This new thing is like
us hearing for years about how your refrigerator is going to
be connected to the internet. Another solution in search of
a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:

Yea, I probably low-balled the price. I can see the convenience of
being cordless, but now they are adding another point of failure into
the equation. If all of the appliances go to this new technology and
your countertop fails, thats a much larger problem than just replacing
the appliance.

See my earlier post on a wireless table lamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:59:46 -0800 (PST), rlz
wrote:

Here's the link to the story:
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/1...09#videoplayer

Many of these gizmos at CES are just prototypes. Many will never see
their way to market....

2 cents

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here's the link to the story:
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/1...09#videoplayer

Many of these gizmos at CES are just prototypes. Many will never see
their way to market....

Right. Many are there just to get Gee Wiz points in the news (free
advertising). They're projects that are done because they can be
done, not because they have any use. OTOH, often the need comes after
the invention. It pays for manufacturers to shotgun ideas.

2 cents

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:27:41 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

rlz wrote:

Yea, I probably low-balled the price. I can see the convenience of
being cordless, but now they are adding another point of failure into
the equation. If all of the appliances go to this new technology and
your countertop fails, thats a much larger problem than just replacing
the appliance.

See my earlier post on a wireless table lamp.

How about some dehydrated water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote in news:00d605f2-b160-440f-a4f9-eebef773ef74
@hf3g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Great, a blender that can only be used in one spot. How use....less.

Will running the blender deep-6 anyone nearby with a pacemaker?

How bout that Pong game shown prior?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:04*pm, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 01/11/2013 10:07 AM, wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty lame. * There are already cordless blenders
that use rechargable batteries for those that don't want a
cord. *I don't need one of those either. *This new thing is like
us hearing for years about how your refrigerator is going to
be connected to the internet. *Another solution in search of
a problem.

What's lame about it? *Seems to be a pretty innovative application of
inductive power transfer that is already in use with electric
toothbrushes and cellphones.

If you have no need for the new technology then this doesn't affect you,
unless you just like complaining because it is new.

Jon

What's lame about it? Let's start with that fact that you
would need to install the other half of the blender under
the counter. That enough for me. Then look around at
kitchen counters. I don't know about your house, but here
every counter has a drawer under it. Even if you have some
locations that don't have drawers, it's going to severly limit
where you could install this thing. Then, if you do install it,
you have to keep that spot free for the blender.
Oh, and did I mention price? What do you think that piece
of junk is gonna sell for? And what exactly is the big problem
here that it solves?

Not only is it lame, but so is the company showing it.
"Wireless blender? According to all the other product
terminology out there, it's should be called a "Cordless blender".
Routers and modems are wireless. Chainsaws, vacuums,
and blenders are cordless. There are even cordless
blenders out there already, so there really ain't much new
about this. But glad it impressed you....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 3:20*pm, chaniarts wrote:
On 1/11/2013 1:04 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

On 01/11/2013 10:07 AM, wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty lame. * There are already cordless blenders
that use rechargable batteries for those that don't want a
cord. *I don't need one of those either. *This new thing is like
us hearing for years about how your refrigerator is going to
be connected to the internet. *Another solution in search of
a problem.

What's lame about it? *Seems to be a pretty innovative application of
inductive power transfer that is already in use with electric
toothbrushes and cellphones.

If you have no need for the new technology then this doesn't affect you,
unless you just like complaining because it is new.

Jon

toothbrushes and cells are pretty low power, and that's used for
charging. seems to me that a blender will require a much higher power
transfer, unless the blender is also just being charged and has internal
batteries. in that case, it won't be as powerful for as long as a corded
blender.- Hide quoted text -

I did a little googling and it is indeed a cordless blender
with batteries. That means it just gets charged, as you say.
In addition it has the feature that you get to stand on
your head to try to figure out how to mount the charging
half under the counter. Assuming there is room there to
do so. And then figure out how to power it from under
the counter. Gee, you have spare outlets under your
cabinets waiting for this marvel? I have plenty of outlets
above the counter and I don't see the big problem with
plugging in a blender.....

Now a cordless immersion blender, that you can hold
in your hand and use to blend up sauce in a pot while
it's on the stove, THAT is innovation that actually does
something useful. I have one of those.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:19:38 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Will running the blender deep-6 anyone nearby with a pacemaker?

Ask the doctor about induction appliances... before you buy 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will running the blender deep-6 anyone nearby with a pacemaker?

Ask the doctor about induction appliances... before you buy 'em.

It's not really an induction appliance like say an induction
range. It just uses induction to charge the batteries, so
it's more like a cordless touthbrush, with far less power
than what it would take to actually run the blender.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

wrote:

Will running the blender deep-6 anyone nearby with a pacemaker?

Ask the doctor about induction appliances... before you buy 'em.

It's not really an induction appliance like say an induction
range. *It just uses induction to charge the batteries, so
it's more like a cordless touthbrush, with far less power
than what it would take to actually run the blende

On the video clip that was on TV, if the blender was on the induction
spot of the countertop, the blender would work. They moved the
blender about 2 feet away from the spot, the blender wouldn't turn
on. It doesn't appear to have batteries in the blender.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 9:20*am, rlz wrote:

wrote:

Will running the blender deep-6 anyone nearby with a pacemaker?

Ask the doctor about induction appliances... before you buy 'em.

It's not really an induction appliance like say an induction
range. *It just uses induction to charge the batteries, so
it's more like a cordless touthbrush, with far less power
than what it would take to actually run the blende

On the video clip that was on TV, if the blender was on the induction
spot of the countertop, the blender would work. *They moved the
blender about 2 feet away from the spot, the blender wouldn't turn
on. *It doesn't appear to have batteries in the blender.

That must be a different video clip than the link you
provided. That one doesn't even show it working.
I based my comments on the PCWorld article about
the blender at CES:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20243...ountertop.html

"LAS VEGAS—The Chinese company Haier demonstrated at CES on Tuesday a
wireless blender powered by an electric transmitter that hides beneath
your kitchen countertop. The wireless coupling technology is similar
to the tech used in conductive charging mats for laptops. Just set the
blender on top of the counter for a while then pick it up and blend
your ingredients into liquid. "

It makes sense to me because to charge it, there is cheap
consumer electronics out there already that does that, eg
cordless tooth brush. The other half of the blender can be
small, powered off a wall wart, etc. Still dumb in my world,
because even installing that underneath a counter isn;t
something I'd do to solve a non-existent problem. And then
what do you plug it in to under the counter?

If the induction had to actually power the blender when
it's running, it would require a far more powerful, expensive
solution needing AC power, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

we used to read our son a book -

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

And????

I've not read that one.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ps56k" wrote in message
we used to read our son a book -

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here's the link to the story:
http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/1...09#videoplayer

Many of these gizmos at CES are just prototypes. Many will never see
their way to market....

Right. Many are there just to get Gee Wiz points in the news (free
advertising). They're projects that are done because they can be
done, not because they have any use. OTOH, often the need comes after
the invention. It pays for manufacturers to shotgun ideas.

God I hate to say this but I actually agree with you 100% above. Now
I need to go put soap in my mouth.