Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow, anyone else get it, too?

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:50:42 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Stay safe and warm. Around here, we don't have a need for a snow
shovel but I have a lot of memories of many a snow storm from playing
in it, working in it and traveling in it. I still love to look at
snow when it first falls but that's about it. I never had a snow
blower so I had to deal with it the old fashion way but then I was
younger so that helped. Be careful too !!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow
shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

We didn't get hit near as hard as the northeast, but reached about 4 to 6
inches. I snowblow my drive and walk when it reaches about 4 inches. If more
falls, it's easier to snowblow the rest in a quick swoop...that is, if it
doesn't snow much more as was the case here. It also allows easier access
out of the drive if we have to work or any other reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow
shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

We weren't hit near as hard as the northeast, but reached about 4 to 6
inches. I snowblow my drive and walk when it reaches about 4 inches. If more
falls, it's easier to snowblow the rest in a quick swoop...that is, if it
doesn't snow much more as was the case here. It also allows easier access
out of the drive if we have to work or any other reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow
shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

An hour north of NYC, 12" I'm told.
In Yonkers (just above d'Bronx,NYC), ZERO.... last nite it was in fact
accumulating, a few inches it looked like, but rain washed ALL of it away,
nary a flake.... Angst gets an effing break, finally.....
--
EA

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

We got about six inches here in Waterloo Ontatio - 2 inches before
midnight, and about 4 after. Shoveled at midnight when I got home, and
fired up the Yamaha blower this morning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following on 12/27/2012 8:50 AM (ET):
Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

About 6 inches of wet snow. My 18 hp garden tractor with an attached
40" wide snow blower even had a hard time. The engine kept bogging down.
I had to take smaller bites than usual. Took twice as long to clear my
100' driveway.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad you were prepared for the snow,eh.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

We got about six inches here in Waterloo Ontatio - 2 inches before
midnight, and about 4 after. Shoveled at midnight when I got home, and
fired up the Yamaha blower this morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It was heavy, here. And, taller than my snow blower. Even with two helpers,
it took a while.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"willshak" wrote in message

About 6 inches of wet snow. My 18 hp garden tractor with an attached
40" wide snow blower even had a hard time. The engine kept bogging down.
I had to take smaller bites than usual. Took twice as long to clear my
100' driveway.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed.
This morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door
propped open a little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow
shovel in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess
I know what I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't
have heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

NW Vermont. 12-18" depending where you were. About 14" here. All powder.
Don't care. Don't ski. Just shovel & snowblow. It all blows.

Happy holiday,
Red...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 00:00:35 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed.
This morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door
propped open a little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow
shovel in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess
I know what I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't
have heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

NW Vermont. 12-18" depending where you were. About 14" here. All powder.
Don't care. Don't ski. Just shovel & snowblow. It all blows.

You can shovel my share. It was 50F with sunshine today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Bout 8-10" here, south of Cleveland, plus a couple inches on the
ground from last Saturday. Very wet, very heavy; was glad for the big
blower.

Today took our new (used) dog (1.5 y/o husky/golden mix) for a long
walk in the national park (right outside my door). Tough going for me
in the deep snow; Golda had a blast. 2 and half hours to go about
that many miles. I was beat; she was as full of energy as when we
started (sleeping now though!)

Anybody here used snow shoes? That dog needs a lot of walking and it
sure is convenient to just walk in the park instead of getting in the
car and going somewhere with cleared sidewalks or trails. But it's
hard to walk in the woods because of all the fallen stuff you can't
see through the snow. There's a nice clearing to walk that used to be
a road, but the snow was knee high there. I figure snowshoes might be
the way to go but have never tried them.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-27-2012 08:50, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Ours was Wednesday. I had a doctor appointment eight miles away.

Looked out, didn't see the blizzard they had promised. Radio said it
was south of us but it was coming.

Took me 48 minutes to get there because of the headwind. But I figured
the good news is I'll get home faster and the wind will make the storm
_stay_ south.

Wishful thinking. When my appointment was over, it was full force. I
decided to hang out in the library near the doc's office till it was over.

Only a mile from home when I put on a rather spectacular display of
acrobatics on an unplowed street. My audience, who had a four-wheel
drive pickup, took me and my bike to my house and then me to the E.R.

No fractures, but I'll be a semi-sedated one-armed man for a while.

Someone else will have to shovel my walkway. If he/she has a heart
attack, I can put them on my trailer and drag it one-handed the three
blocks to the E.R. faster than the ambulance can make the round-trip.

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
€” Samuel Butler, 1612-1680
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best wishes. Hope you get dug out, OK.
I had to hire two teen boys to help.
Age is catching up with me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"frag" wrote in message
eb.com...

Same here. It's very heavy and wet snow. Darn wind blew it against the
door and I had to push my way out. And it's all drifted up to my knees
right where I have to walk near the side door and the car. The car is
still buried. I'm partly disabled and right now my whole body hurts.
Tomorrow more digging with the long handled shovel which should make it
easier to get all the stuff piled next to the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you mentioned the 48 minutes, I was wondering
if you were driving or bicycling. Sad that you got injured.
You a one handed Usenet poster, now?

One friend of mine took a spill recently (no snow). Same,
a kind person watching had a pickup truck, gave him and
his bike a ride back to his car.

Some kind people left in the world.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-27-2012 20:59, Stormin Mormon wrote:
When you mentioned the 48 minutes, I was wondering
if you were driving or bicycling. Sad that you got injured.
You a one handed Usenet poster, now?

Yep. Left-handed, to boot. And my job is 80% typing.

I'm not a one-handed biker, though. I can steer with one hand (under
reasonable conditions), but mounting and dismounting are a problem
(thanks to yesterday's ham-handed dismount). Fortunately, the office,
pharmacy, grocery, and several restaurants are within a half-mile (which
is the reason I chose this house and got rid of the car).

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
€” Samuel Butler, 1612-1680
Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad you can make it to important places. Close, is good. I'm about 1/4 mile
from a convenience store, and real stores about 2.5 to 3 mile from here. For
me, vehicle is important.

The fellow across the street (disabled long haul driver), car still snowed
in. If he hasn't got it figured by tomorrow, I'll probably haul my snow
blower there, and do what I can.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
You a one handed Usenet poster, now?

Yep. Left-handed, to boot. And my job is 80% typing.

I'm not a one-handed biker, though. I can steer with one hand (under
reasonable conditions), but mounting and dismounting are a problem
(thanks to yesterday's ham-handed dismount). Fortunately, the office,
pharmacy, grocery, and several restaurants are within a half-mile (which
is the reason I chose this house and got rid of the car).

--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thursday Dec 27, 2012
Last night, about two inches snow on myside step, when I went to bed. This
morning, opened the door (swings in). I'd left the storm door propped open a
little, and good thing I did.

I'd marked the face of my snow shovel in inches, I stabbed the snow shovel
in, and read the snow depth, 11 (eleven) inches of snow. Guess I know what
I'll be doing this morning, afternoon, and evening.

Frequent breaks, and hydration breaks. Hope myself and others don't have
heart attacks today. Will take awhile to get ambulance here.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My new snowblower continues to do a great job. Went to bed last night
and there was about 2" on the ground and still coming down. Got up
this morning and looked out at 5:45 AM and saw black asphalt and rain.
I did not even have to open the garage door. That snowblower was a
great investment last year; it is still saving me a lot of work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:13:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
-snip-
My new snowblower continues to do a great job. Went to bed last night
and there was about 2" on the ground and still coming down. Got up
this morning and looked out at 5:45 AM and saw black asphalt and rain.
I did not even have to open the garage door. That snowblower was a
great investment last year; it is still saving me a lot of work.

I hear ya-- mine didn't work this time, [10"- heavy stuff] but you
know it isn't snowing much when you still enjoy blowing the crap
around with a new shiney toy.

I'll trim up the edges today and make some paths for the dog.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:50:10 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:13:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
-snip-
My new snowblower continues to do a great job. Went to bed last night
and there was about 2" on the ground and still coming down. Got up
this morning and looked out at 5:45 AM and saw black asphalt and rain.
I did not even have to open the garage door. That snowblower was a
great investment last year; it is still saving me a lot of work.

I hear ya-- mine didn't work this time, [10"- heavy stuff] but you
know it isn't snowing much when you still enjoy blowing the crap
around with a new shiney toy.

I'll trim up the edges today and make some paths for the dog.

Jim

Jim, just how much snow (depth) can a blower blow away ? I never
had one so I have no experience nor where I live now, will I ever need
one g.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:13:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
-snip-
My new snowblower continues to do a great job. Went to bed last night
and there was about 2" on the ground and still coming down. Got up
this morning and looked out at 5:45 AM and saw black asphalt and rain.
I did not even have to open the garage door. That snowblower was a
great investment last year; it is still saving me a lot of work.

I hear ya-- mine didn't work this time, [10"- heavy stuff] but you
know it isn't snowing much when you still enjoy blowing the crap
around with a new shiney toy.

I'll trim up the edges today and make some paths for the dog.

Jim

Jim, just how much snow (depth) can a blower blow away ? I never
had one so I have no experience nor where I live now, will I ever need
one g.

I have had experience in 1 meter (39 inches) of snow with an old 5
HP single stage craftsman with drift cutters - it wasn't pretty but
it got the job done. 30 inch drifts with the old Canadiana 5/26 2
stage was a bit easier. The old 4/22 Noma Trackdrive worked very
hard to handle 16 inches.

So far my new and expensive 6-24 Yamaha Hydro has not had to tackle
more than about 8 inches in widely spaced drifts - I should have
bought that new blower LONG ago!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2012 09:20 AM, Doug wrote:

[snip]

Stay safe and warm. Around here, we don't have a need for a snow
shovel but I have a lot of memories of many a snow storm from playing
in it, working in it and traveling in it. I still love to look at
snow when it first falls but that's about it. I never had a snow
blower so I had to deal with it the old fashion way but then I was
younger so that helped. Be careful too !!!

I'm usually too far south. On average, it snows less than 1 day a year
(and that's usually in February). However, this year we got a white
surprise on Christmas.

It was a cold night and the electricity went off. At least I have gas logs.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If judged only by the results that challenge the laws of probabilities,
then the power of prayer is nil." [Judith Hayes, U.S. freethinker,
author]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:13:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
-snip-
My new snowblower continues to do a great job. Went to bed last night
and there was about 2" on the ground and still coming down. Got up
this morning and looked out at 5:45 AM and saw black asphalt and rain.
I did not even have to open the garage door. That snowblower was a
great investment last year; it is still saving me a lot of work.

I hear ya-- mine didn't work this time, [10"- heavy stuff] but you
know it isn't snowing much when you still enjoy blowing the crap
around with a new shiney toy.

I'll trim up the edges today and make some paths for the dog.

Jim

Jim, just how much snow (depth) can a blower blow away ? I never
had one so I have no experience nor where I live now, will I ever need
one g.

Depends on the blower- and the snow. [and to a small extent, the
operator]

The perfect snow for my little electric is 2-6" of wet stuff. It will
throw it 40'.
My 8hp 30 yr old Bolens starts working hard at around 8" if it is wet.
[dry fluffy stuff goes 10 feet-- the wetter stuff just turns to water
and runs down the side of the machine.]

My 'new' [to me] 8HP Ariens is apparently only limited by how creative
you can get in feeding it. We ended up with a foot of fairly dense
snow. As I was cleaning up this morning I started widening the
end of the driveway where the plow throws . Because it was heavily
salted it was a pretty dense mass of frozen [about 20F] chunks, snow,
and ice. The machine kept asking for more-- In first gear I could
take a full 26" swath without bogging the machine down at all.

My dad's driveway drifts. He will have a hard drift of over 5 feet.
He buries his snowblower in up to the chute-- then backs it up. If
he's lucky, the 'cave' collapses- and he repeats. If not- he knocks
it in with a shovel. as far as 'how far' his Ariens blows the
snow?blowing. . . All he needs to do is get the snow in the air-- it
soon becomes part of the landscape in the field below.

Once he's broken through he has drift cutters that shave off up to
about 4 feet high in each pass- He's 90 and *lives* for a nice
storm. [me, not so much]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim. And I admire your dad... 90 and still going and then
some ... Wow !!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

On 12/27/2012 09:20 AM, Doug wrote:

[snip]

Stay safe and warm. Around here, we don't have a need for a snow
shovel but I have a lot of memories of many a snow storm from playing
in it, working in it and traveling in it. I still love to look at
snow when it first falls but that's about it. I never had a snow
blower so I had to deal with it the old fashion way but then I was
younger so that helped. Be careful too !!!

I'm usually too far south. On average, it snows less than 1 day a year
(and that's usually in February). However, this year we got a white
surprise on Christmas.

It was a cold night and the electricity went off. At least I have gas
logs.

I used to laugh when I lived in the south at:

1) the people in the north getting the snow and/or bitter cold.

2) at the TV (in the south) when the red severe weather banner came across
the screen warning of upcoming bitter cold temps...like 15-20°F

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:04:43 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

[...]

I do now. I usually call up the kid and laugh at him. ;-)

Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 08:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
OT - Snow Cliff Metalworking 14 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM
"Snow" on TV during use Tim R. Electronics Repair 9 December 29th 04 09:54 PM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM