Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to get some super-warm, XXL, mittens?

Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

Google helps, but you really don't know if the product
(mittens) is any good -- or not, eg made in China.

Also, will it hold up, like being worn when shoveling
snow, which puts immense stress on not just the seams
but also the material itself?

Also, I'm just plain getting too old to put up with
freezing hands when out on a winter-day's walk --
or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

move? it's 78F here today
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 3:42*pm, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2012 2:39 PM, David Combs wrote:

or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Blower????

--

Hear! Hear!

Go ahead, put that big pile at my EOD (in snow blowing terms, it the
"End Of Driveway", not the start). I'll just blow it away.

I hate mittens...I need my fingers. Buy a pair of tight fitting cloth
gloves and cut the tips off so that your finger tips are exposed. Then
go to a sporting goods/hunting store and get a pair of good gloves big
enough to go over the "homeless man's gloves". The cloth gloves will
add extra warmth and you can take off the outer gloves if you need
your fingers for something intricate. Your hands will stay warm for
quite a while with the cloth gloves.

I know they make mittens with tops that fold back, exposing fingertip-
less gloves, but since I hate mittens, I made my own glove version as
described above.

I actually start wearing finger-less gloves quite often around this
time of year, like for walking the dogs, etc. My hands stay warm, but
I have full use of my fingers.

I got a pair of these for $2 at HD because the tag had fallen off and
no one could figure out how much they were supposed to be:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/grease-...rge-22103.html

I wear those by themselves but for "undergloves" I buy a few cheap
pairs of cloth gloves from the dollar store. You want them to fit
tight so you can get a pair of regular gloves over them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote:

Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

Google helps, but you really don't know if the product
(mittens) is any good -- or not, eg made in China.

When I spent a lot of time outside my best/warmest/longest wearing
mittens were a pair of unlined leather mittens and a couple pairs of
wool liners. The mittens were big enough that if I needed to use
fingers sometimes I could wear a pair of gloves in them instead of the
knit mittens. The leather shed most wet snow and never wore out.

The looked similar to these-
http://duluthpack.com/plunge-mitts.h...FUOK4AodPGQADQ

Also, will it hold up, like being worn when shoveling
snow, which puts immense stress on not just the seams
but also the material itself?

Also, I'm just plain getting too old to put up with
freezing hands when out on a winter-day's walk --

For walking mittens are great.

or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

i'll repeat the recommendation for a snow blower.g you're obviously
too friggin' old to be shoveling snow if your hands still get cold
while you're working.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

Google helps, but you really don't know if the product
(mittens) is any good -- or not, eg made in China.

Also, will it hold up, like being worn when shoveling
snow, which puts immense stress on not just the seams
but also the material itself?

Also, I'm just plain getting too old to put up with
freezing hands when out on a winter-day's walk --
or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

REI would be my first choice
Snowmobile mittens is also a choice

The new Fleece lined ones can be quite warm
In many the liner and outer shell are separate and you can buy more liners
to just were them without the liner
The thing with fleece is that some of them are way too thick and give you
sweaty hands that will chill in the long run
Balancing the thickness of the fleece vs how cold it is is the trick

When I'm out in the woods I wear 3 layers
1) Tight-knit fingertip-less gloves
2) Fleece gloves
3a) Nylon waterproof shell mittens
3b or fleece-lined waterproof shell mittens
With that combination, I have been comfortable right down to -40

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message

Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands. . . .
Recommendations?

Any store that supplies farmers, mechanics, linesmen etc.,
i.e. people who must work out of doors in all weathers.
The nearest to me is called Princess Auto.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
chaniarts wrote:

On 12/12/2012 1:42 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2012 2:39 PM, David Combs wrote:

or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Blower????

--

move? it's 78F here today

Yeah, agreed. I grew up in that "40 below" crap. Still can't understand
why people live like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-12-12, David Combs wrote:
Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

I can't be positive, but after returning two down coats, one an
alleged "Alaskan Guide Parka" (whatta laugh!) to has-been Bean and
Crapelas, I'm gonna try these guys:

http://www.refrigiwear.com/Gloves/id...ed_Cowhide_???

I recall wearing a Refrigiwear coat decades ago, it being so dang warm
hadda occasionally take it off to avoid sweating. I don't know if
this is still the case all these years later, but their stuff is still
USA made. I also notice they have XXL glove sizes.

HTH
nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message
Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

Google helps, but you really don't know if the product
(mittens) is any good -- or not, eg made in China.

Also, will it hold up, like being worn when shoveling
snow, which puts immense stress on not just the seams
but also the material itself?

Also, I'm just plain getting too old to put up with
freezing hands when out on a winter-day's walk --
or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Thanks!

David

Check Cal's Ranch Supply, Cedar City, Utah.

http://www.calranch.com/

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Hard to find are gloves or mittens for large hands.

Google helps, but you really don't know if the product
(mittens) is any good -- or not, eg made in China.

Also, will it hold up, like being worn when shoveling
snow, which puts immense stress on not just the seams
but also the material itself?

Also, I'm just plain getting too old to put up with
freezing hands when out on a winter-day's walk --
or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Thanks!

David

I have trouble finding loose gloves. Mittens are necessary for best warmth.
Try a ski shop, sporting goods. One year I bought a thin glove with metal
reflecting shreads in it, to be used alone or with gloves. Seemed to work
well.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2012 2:39 PM, David Combs wrote:

or shoveling snow for two or three hours (only to
have the snow-plow-truck pile it up again, with
HEAVY, wet, soon-to-freeze-solid stuff, at the
start of the driveway, meaning another hard hour
out there.)

Recommendations?

Blower????

--

Yeah, but blowers sure don't do much when the snow is wet
and heavy, or have been shoved into a wet super-heavy

Gotta attack by hand, and quickly, before it freezes!

David

PS: actually, I don't do the whole driveway, just
the part at the top (slopes up to the street) in front
of and around where we keep the car at those times.

And just that is a real bitch, with that snow-plow
truck coming by every 90 minutes or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 12, 3:42*pm, dpb wrote:

Hear! Hear!

Go ahead, put that big pile at my EOD (in snow blowing terms, it the
"End Of Driveway", not the start). I'll just blow it away.

I hate mittens...I need my fingers.

Well, my fingers freeze in gloves. With mittens, my fingers, instead
of each being surrounded by the cold, have each other to keep them
warm. The middle fingers have something between one third and one
half of their surroundings being another supplied-with-warm-blood finger.

Buy a pair of tight fitting cloth
gloves and cut the tips off so that your finger tips are exposed. Then
go to a sporting goods/hunting store and get a pair of good gloves big
enough to go over the "homeless man's gloves". The cloth gloves will
add extra warmth and you can take off the outer gloves if you need
your fingers for something intricate. Your hands will stay warm for
quite a while with the cloth gloves.

I know they make mittens with tops that fold back, exposing fingertip-
less gloves, but since I hate mittens, I made my own glove version as
described above.

I actually start wearing finger-less gloves quite often around this
time of year, like for walking the dogs, etc. My hands stay warm, but
I have full use of my fingers.

Myself, for cold indoors, cut slots in ankle-length athletic socks,
so my fingers can stick out but palms stay relatively warm -- AND --
I can still type on the keyboard. Not so with with manufactured
fingerless gloves that I've tried -- can't get my fingers close enough
together to touch-type on the keyboard.

I got a pair of these for $2 at HD because the tag had fallen off and
no one could figure out how much they were supposed to be:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/grease-...rge-22103.html

I wear those by themselves but for "undergloves" I buy a few cheap
pairs of cloth gloves from the dollar store. You want them to fit
tight so you can get a pair of regular gloves over them.

Good ideas!

But for me, fitting tight cuts off the circulation a little (long, thin
arms).

For shoveling snow, mittens work fine for me. But my hands still
get cold after a while.

Question: what does the Army use when it's really cold, or they're
mountain troops?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, all. Will check out some the places mentioned!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks again!

David

Super warm gloves for building Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 17 October 28th 12 08:45 PM
O/T: Warm Enough Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 343 July 17th 12 10:32 PM
where to buy SUPER WARM mittins -- like for climbing Mt. Everest? David Combs Home Repair 16 February 13th 12 10:03 PM
Warm at last Mike Stanford Woodworking 4 October 27th 11 01:06 PM
FA: Super cheap metalworking equipment -Mitutoyo, Starrett, Super/morse Joee Metalworking 0 April 19th 05 08:07 AM