Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cow Proof Fence? Not Electrified

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 7:23*am, "Abby" wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? *We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. *We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) *The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. *The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. *We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. *We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Strong posts and hogwire. All that is needed are posts that they
cannot break or push over plus wire they can't crawl through - it's
not rocket science.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 9:23 am, "Abby" wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

I would bet that a 6 foot high wood fence that the cows could
not see thru would do the trick. They tend to go thru places
that they can see thru. Around here, such a fence would cost
a bit over $100 if installed yourself, and it doesn't have to be
substantial, --- just something that blocks their view....
As a plus, you could decorate the "inside" part part with
hanging plants, or shelves, or whatever.
You could paint the "outside" pink, to **** off your neighbor....

(big grin)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 4:21*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 11, 7:23*am, "Abby" wrote:

[...]

Plus a strand of barbed wire on top. Or it they are good jumpers,
longer posts and two strands of barbed wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 4:22*pm, Robert wrote:
On Dec 11, 9:23 am, "Abby" wrote:

[...]

Pink is an acceptable colour in Costa Rica.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2012 7:23 AM, Abby wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or
jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking
through our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified
fence (I posted a separate query about electrified fences the other
day.) The problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a
10 foot section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more
difficult for them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and
there were more than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where
during the upcoming dry season the pool and irrigated plants will be
irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Cheap and easy. Get a load of wooden pallets and stand them up along the
fence on the cow side. Fasten them to the fence wire so they will stay
upright. Try to get as many pallets with a full compliment of boards as
possible. You may have to add some boards.

The cow will always try to get feed on the other side of the fence, even
if grass is green and belly high on their side. If it's hard for them to
see, they will go elsewhere.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:23:46 -0600, "Abby"
wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

You can buy corral fence that comes in sections, made of 2" pipe.

Or the coils of razor wire stacked.

Pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Concertina_wire.png

BTW, Andy, did you ever finish those (20?) mahogany doors? How did
they turn out for you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/12 9:23 AM, Abby wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or
jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking
through our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified
fence (I posted a separate query about electrified fences the other
day.) The problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with
a 10 foot section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more
difficult for them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and
there were more than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where
during the upcoming dry season the pool and irrigated plants will be
irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Barbed wire supposedly tamed the American West. Ten foot treated
4x4s set 4 foot in. Five strands of barbed wire on the critter side.
Others suggested something solid so the cattle can't see your stuff.
Maybe add that to your side? It's on that very long list of things
I've never heard of doing.
Have you ever seen cattle guards? My dad's neighbor had a couple.
He also had an old cow that could get through or over a fence.
She never went through a cattle guard as far as anyone knew.
His guards were several pipe perpendicular to the road. There was a
little trench under the guard. I want to say it was only a foot or two
deep.
A bit here from Wikipedia: http://tinyurl.com/bdg7z9j

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Dec 11, 4:54*pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/11/12 9:23 AM, Abby wrote:

[...]

My alternative to that problem would be to shoot them as they come
thru and make steaks out of them.
if the neighbor can't control his cows, thats his problem.

Just kidding.... I would suggest using barb wire and strong posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message ...

On 12/11/12 9:23 AM, Abby wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or
jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking
Gary

Barbed wire supposedly tamed the American West.

Hasnt worked here. Brahmas maybe more pain tolerant? Maybe a different
wire?

Others suggested something solid so the cattle can't see your stuff.

The fence is close to the house and the views here are amazing. Something
tall would be an detraction. I would like to extend the property line down
the slope where anything we put up is out of view. The cow's owner refused
a similar request by the previous owners. Allegedly, he has a problem with
the community's developer and is taking it out on the homeowners.

Have you ever seen cattle guards? My dad's neighbor had a couple.

I remember them. I like that idea. Some small plantings in front and it
would not even be visible.

My best idea so far is cables stretched between very strong, reinforced
poles.

Pura vida,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or
jump over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking

Thanks,
Gary

My alternative to that problem would be to shoot them as they come
thru and make steaks out of them.
if the neighbor can't control his cows, thats his problem.

Just kidding.... I would suggest using barb wire and strong posts.

I have considered loading them onto a truck and selling them. The family
who extracted extracted the cow from the pool could keep the proceeds from
one and the rest go to the children's home. We will be getting legal
advice.

Pura vida,
Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 7:23*am, "Abby" wrote:
Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? *We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. *We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) *The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. *The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. *We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. *We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

I've been to Costa RIca twice and have seen those "large cows" of
which you speak...

The success control strategy that I saw was large diameter steel pipe
fencing ....
IIRC it was nominal 2" pipe (2.375" OD) welded constrution about 6'
tall with horizontal members at 2', 4' & 6'.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Being a farmer myself, I have horses, but the neighbors have cattle. I
have 6 foot tall fence posts with 5 strands of with barbed wire, where
the cattle are. The rest of my fences (only for the horses), are just 2
strand electric on metal t-posts (3 strands where the small ponies are,
because they tend to roll under the fences without that lower wire).

I also have one strand of electric fence on the barbed wire line fences,
(on my side) mainly to keep the horses away from the fence, because
horses have thin skin compared to cattle and can easily get cut up on
barb wire.

You'll save a lot of money using an electric fence. compared to the cost
of materials for other fencing types. You can get a solar fencer that
dont need electricity too. They work well as long as you have enough
sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:54:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 12/11/12 9:23 AM, Abby wrote:
[...]

A local farm has those and they work well. To enter his farm requires
no gate. Just drive over them, but the cattle never walk over them.
Probably expensive to install though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's easy to see why the real cattle guards work. Cattle are
afraid of falling through. What gets me is the virtual cattle guards on
the highways in the Wikipedia article.
I wonder if just laying some brightly painted 1" or smaller pipe on
some boards would have the same effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:54:58 AM UTC-5, Abby wrote:
The fence is close to the house and the views here are amazing. Something
tall would be an detraction.

Here we go. Here come the million and one excuses why the simplest, most obvious, most cost effective solution cannot possibly work. Here come the million and one suggestions of convoluted, contrived, complicated, expensive, impossible methods to solve an otherwise simple benign problem.

I know, let's genetically engineer some giant wood nymphs to patrol the fence line 24/7 and chase the cows away!

Look, it's either you have dead cows in your pool every other day, or you lose some of the view. These cattle are NOT going to stop for anything that is not solid and/or electrified.

If you want the view, get a bigger pool skimmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 12:14*pm, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:54:58 AM UTC-5, Abby wrote:
The fence is close to the house and the views here are amazing. *Something
tall would be an detraction.

Here we go. Here come the million and one excuses why the simplest, most obvious, most cost effective solution cannot possibly work. Here come the million and one suggestions of convoluted, contrived, complicated, expensive, impossible methods to solve an otherwise simple benign problem.

I know, let's genetically engineer some giant wood nymphs to patrol the fence line 24/7 and chase the cows away!

Look, it's either you have dead cows in your pool every other day, or you lose some of the view. These cattle are NOT going to stop for anything that is not solid and/or electrified.

If you want the view, get a bigger pool skimmer.

Yep, I got the clear impression that she isn't interested in any
reasonalbe ideas a couple days ago.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2012 10:54 AM, Abby wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message ...

Barbed wire supposedly tamed the American West.

Hasnt worked here. Brahmas maybe more pain tolerant? Maybe a different
wire?

We hold buffalo out here w/ "bob" wire. It is, of course, more than
just 4-strand and it's 6" posts on 8- or 10-ft centers and 7-ft high,
but it holds 'em.

What you need is to build a fence that is actually a fence instead of
some pansy-livered imitation of a fence if that's the objective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

On Dec 13, 12:14*pm, wrote:
[...]

The cattle guard has been mentioned a half dozen (and now 7) times, and
it's cheap, easy, effective, and won't block the view.