Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cow Proof Fence? Not Electrified

On 12/13/12 1:29 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:54:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Barbed wire supposedly tamed the American West. Ten foot treated
4x4s set 4 foot in. Five strands of barbed wire on the critter side.
Others suggested something solid so the cattle can't see your stuff.
Maybe add that to your side? It's on that very long list of things
I've never heard of doing.
Have you ever seen cattle guards? My dad's neighbor had a couple.
He also had an old cow that could get through or over a fence.
She never went through a cattle guard as far as anyone knew.
His guards were several pipe perpendicular to the road. There was a
little trench under the guard. I want to say it was only a foot or two
deep.
A bit here from Wikipedia:
http://tinyurl.com/bdg7z9j

A local farm has those and they work well. To enter his farm requires
no gate. Just drive over them, but the cattle never walk over them.
Probably expensive to install though.

It's easy to see why the real cattle guards work. Cattle are
afraid of falling through. What gets me is the virtual cattle guards on
the highways in the Wikipedia article.
I wonder if just laying some brightly painted 1" or smaller pipe on
some boards would have the same effect.