Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Cow Proof Fence? Not Electrified

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:23:46 -0600, "Abby"
wrote:

Hi and Happy Holidays,

What would take to build a fence that cows could not break through or jump
over? We have a recurring problem with a neighbor's cows breaking through
our fence. We are looking for an alternative to an electrified fence (I
posted a separate query about electrified fences the other day.) The
problem area is at most 25..30 feet but we might get by with a 10 foot
section. The fence is at the top of slope which makes it more difficult for
them to jump over it. We have seen them break through and there were more
than on animal pushing. We are in Costa Rica where during the upcoming dry
season the pool and irrigated plants will be irresistible.

Thanks,
Gary

Being a farmer myself, I have horses, but the neighbors have cattle. I
have 6 foot tall fence posts with 5 strands of with barbed wire, where
the cattle are. The rest of my fences (only for the horses), are just 2
strand electric on metal t-posts (3 strands where the small ponies are,
because they tend to roll under the fences without that lower wire).

I also have one strand of electric fence on the barbed wire line fences,
(on my side) mainly to keep the horses away from the fence, because
horses have thin skin compared to cattle and can easily get cut up on
barb wire.

You'll save a lot of money using an electric fence. compared to the cost
of materials for other fencing types. You can get a solar fencer that
dont need electricity too. They work well as long as you have enough
sun.