Posted to alt.home.repair

Default first tools

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Eneva wrote:

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

1) Bahco adjustable spanner (or any other *good* make, not a pound-shop
piece of cheesemetal).

2) Screwdriver handle with changeable hex bits and a set of good quality
bits covering crosshead, flat, hex/allen, torx. That, including the torx,
should allow you to open any electrical appliance.

Those two alone will let you open most things and deal with minor plumbing
issues like leaky taps and stuff.

3) If you were actually going to do some actual DIY, then a *good* (Blue
Bosch, Makita, Hitachi or equivalent make[1]) battery power driver/drill.
Ideally a bigger mains drill and a smaller battery driver that could drill
to 1/8", but as a compromise, get one medium battery device is a
fantastically versatile piece of kit.

I have one of these:

http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showite...387452&loc=GBP

For it's size it is insanely powerful - it can put 6mm wide 100mm (that's
probably No12 x 4" remmebering from my childhood) Screwtite screws (self
drilling lubricated woodscrews) into regular timber with ease. It can also
manage a bit of light drilling with hex drills.

[1] I speak from a British perspective - there may be "well known good"
makes particular to your location.

That still leaves upto one tool...

4) Side cutters for minor electrical stuff. Or good pliers that can actually
strip too.

I do not know if it counts as a "tool", but a bloody good torch would be on
my essentials list - say a Maglite LED (maybe rechargeable). Pocket 2xAA is
a practical size to have in the car but still be useful, or a 4D cell "real
mans" version for keeping around the home. I like Maglite - solid,
waterproof and serviceable.

You really need to tell us what you usually do? Do you do any auto work,
even if it's fitting a new radio, changing a wheel. Any actual DIY or do you
just want to be able to fix day to day problems?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Eneva wrote:
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Every house needs...

pliers
screwdriver (one that uses bits is handy, saves screwdriver
proliferation)
hammer
crescent wrench (alternatively & better, a set of sockets)

Power, depends on what you want to do with them but...

3/8" drill & bits
cut off saw
router and basic bits
sander

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 8:50*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Every house needs...

* * router and basic bits
* * sander

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4?
I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
On Dec 10, 8:50 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Every house needs...

router and basic bits
sander

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4?
I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

What would you prefer? Milling machine?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

I would not limit it to just 4 tools. For $ 20 to $ 50 you can get a tool
set that contains many of the most needed tools. Granted that they will not
be the top quality,but will be a good starter kit.
To that add a corded 3/8 drill, 25 to 50 feet of drop cord, and drill
bits. The battery powered stuff is nice, but if not used very much, the
batteries will be dead when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Eneva wrote:
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Check out the local thrift shops for hammers, screwdrivers, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Dec 10, 10:18*am, Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

* For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Screwdriver
Pliers
Hammer
Duct Tape
WD-40

That is all you need for anything!

don't forget the first-aid kit. Well since you have the duct-tape,
all you need is paper towels to make a band-aid.
I've done that on more than one occassion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:00:24 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Dec 10, 8:50*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Every house needs...

* * router and basic bits
* * sander

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4?
I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a router, belt sander, and
orbital sander. I have not used any of them in years.

I'd add a circular saw and saber saw to that list before a sander or
router. A sawsall is handy too. and yes, an electric drill is at the
top of the list for power tools. I also use an angle grinder very often
for metal, and even use it on wood occasionally, when I need to hack a
small fraction of an inch off a board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:18:51 -0800, Bill wrote:

In article ,
says...

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Screwdriver
Pliers
Hammer
Duct Tape
WD-40

That is all you need for anything!

U forgot the vice grips!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(Herb Eneva) wrote:

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Hmmm... why don't you first order yourself a copy of a good home repair
book, and count it as tool one. This one is great and has been around
for eons, but there are others as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Do---...tely/dp/076210
5798/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355183219&sr=1-4&keywords=home+repai

(Sorry about the long link... if necessary, copy/paste to fix...)

This book will become an old friend... and has whole section devoted to
tools and the like.

Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2012 3:20 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

First, ask your neighbors that question.
They'll be happy to show you their stuff.
Now, you know what you can borrow.

Go buy the second-cheapest Chinese combo screwdriver/wrench/socket set
you can find at the after Xmas closeout. Take the neighbor with the
best tools on that shopping trip.
From then on, as you learn what you'll need, buy QUALITY
tools. You can always fall back on that cheapo stuff.

Nobody can tell you exactly what you need.
A car-guy will need different stuff from a house builder.
Don't be in a hurry. Before you know it, you'll have
a garage full of tools, then a shed full of tools then a
second shed full of tools. And, even though you have ten
sets of socket wrenches, you'll always be missing the size you need. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Dec 10, 8:50 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Every house needs...

router and basic bits
sander

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4?
I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a router, belt sander, and
orbital sander. I have not used any of them in years.

I'd add a circular saw and saber saw to that list before a sander or
router. A sawsall is handy too. and yes, an electric drill is at the
top of the list for power tools. I also use an angle grinder very often
for metal, and even use it on wood occasionally, when I need to hack a
small fraction of an inch off a board.

We're all different. I had 2 routers before I bought my first reciprocating
saw. I certainly use my router and router table much more often than my
reciprocating saw. Just yesterday, I tried my hand at making cabinet doors
and drawer fronts. I made a lot of sawdust with my router but the
reciprocating saw never left its case. I also used my palm sander, but not
my saber saw.

As I said in my response to the OP: We need to know what the adult in
question plans to use the tools for before we can offer a list specifically
for him/her - especially when we start talking about power tools. Sure, a
screwdriver set, hammer, locking pliers and a tape measure are a decent
start for hand tools, but the choice of power tools really depends on what
tasks are in this particular adult's near future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb Evena, or someone who calls themself Herb Evena asked...

For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best four
hand and power tools?

Before that question can be answered, I think we need to know what will the
adult in question will need the tools for.

For general home repairs, one set of tools will work but for someone with a
desire to try woodworking, a different set of four would be required.

I probably don't need a pair of pliers to build a book case, and I probably
don't need a circular saw to change an outlet.

Another question: what is your definition of a "tool" in this instance? Is
a single handle with multiple inserts one tool or more? Is a 18v kit with
a circular saw, drill, reciprocating saw and flashlight a single tool or
does that fill the full quota of 4?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On 12/10/2012 3:20 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

First, ask your neighbors that question.
They'll be happy to show you their stuff.
Now, you know what you can borrow.

Go buy the second-cheapest Chinese combo screwdriver/wrench/socket set
you can find at the after Xmas closeout. Take the neighbor with the
best tools on that shopping trip.
From then on, as you learn what you'll need, buy QUALITY
tools. You can always fall back on that cheapo stuff.

Nobody can tell you exactly what you need.
A car-guy will need different stuff from a house builder.
Don't be in a hurry. Before you know it, you'll have
a garage full of tools, then a shed full of tools then a
second shed full of tools. And, even though you have ten
sets of socket wrenches, you'll always be missing the size you need. ;-)

A few years back I broke all my tools down into 5 groups.
Plumbing
Electrical
Carpentry
Mechanical
General
There are some things that overlap such as screwdrivers and basic pliers
But over time I got into more specialized versions for each category
e.g Electrical screwdrivers and pliers have insulated grips
Mechanical screwdrivers have hardened tips
etc.
I also color-coded the tools by dipping the handles into colored rubber
coating

Has made keeping track of them far easier.
Particularly when SWMBO dips into one tool box and then just puts the tool
back on the bench (If that).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12-10-2012 18:17, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A poorly made screwdriver will make a simple job more difficult and
even more costly if it damages the fasteners. For only a few more
dollars, get one with a good comfortable grip.

Compare a crappy screwdriver with a good one by actual use, and you'll
know the difference, even if you can't see the diff before you use it.

On the other hand, even a crappy screwdriver won't damage the screw
if you know what you're doing.

--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...gs/pants-fire/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Attila Iskander wrote:

A few years back I broke all my tools down into 5 groups.
Plumbing
Electrical
Carpentry
Mechanical
General
There are some things that overlap such as screwdrivers and basic pliers
But over time I got into more specialized versions for each category
e.g Electrical screwdrivers and pliers have insulated grips
Mechanical screwdrivers have hardened tips
etc.
I also color-coded the tools by dipping the handles into colored
rubber
coating

Has made keeping track of them far easier.
Particularly when SWMBO dips into one tool box and then just puts the tool
back on the bench (If that).

Yes. I did that when I started my house renovation. Bought several toolboxed
on discount that happened to be stackable and strong and have:

Plumbing
Electrical
Screwdrivers (etc)
Fixings (lots of screws)

The electrical one contains a second set of screwdrivers that are insulated
along with wirestripers, sidecutter, professional grade crimp tool
(insulated and uninsulated type) and various bits that go with my Megger
electrical tester.

I try to get everything back in the right box at the end of a job. Certainly
cuts down on tool-losing!

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mac did have a swiss Army knife. Which is a bit odd, as he seemed to have
contempt for military, guns, and weapons.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Screwdriver
Pliers
Hammer
Duct Tape
WD-40

That is all you need for anything!

Come on - MacGyver did not have a hammer!

;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Attila Iskander wrote:

[...]

I have since started putting electrical hand tools in their own tool boxes,
with the appropriate "stuff" that should go with it
e.g. Palm sander - sand paper
Router - router bits

Many of these tools were obtained with huge discounts or even free with
rebates
Also, by letting the least used boxes got to the bottom of the stack, I have
a pretty clear idea of which tools are proving redundant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot depends on what kind of house, and what kind of repairs. Or, if said
adult is going to repair small engines, vehicles, etc.

As to my own usage,

10 way screw driver
crescent wrench (doubles as light hammer)
Wire stripper / pliers combo
VOM / ammeter

Drill
Dremel
angle grinder
sawzall

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-10-2012 18:17, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
A poorly made screwdriver will make a simple job more difficult and
even more costly if it damages the fasteners. For only a few more
dollars, get one with a good comfortable grip.

Compare a crappy screwdriver with a good one by actual use, and you'll
know the difference, even if you can't see the diff before you use it.

On the other hand, even a crappy screwdriver won't damage the screw
if you know what you're doing.

I hate those four way things. They have very soft metal, and the Phillips
heads come to a real point. Never seen a large side of the head that wasn't
all fouled up. I got some Snap-Ons that they were giving away at a
convention. You can see two different steels in the shaft. One for shaft,
one for point. It looks like new, and I go get it when there is a difficult
screw. Indestructible.

Yes, in screwdrivers, you definitely get what you pay for.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

If this is for you-- Buy the minimum, but buy good quality. As a
job comes up, buy a decent tool to make the job easier. I'm past
60 and the addage 'Any job worth doing is worth buying a tool for.'
is just starting to be useless. [maybe I just do a lot fewer jobs
these days-- but I don't have a lot of really new toysg]

Jim

Most of the new stuff is absolute crapola.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2012 07:22 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Herb Eneva" wrote in message
For someone just starting out in adult life what would be the best
four hand and power tools?

I would not limit it to just 4 tools. For $ 20 to $ 50 you can get a tool
set that contains many of the most needed tools. Granted that they will not
be the top quality,but will be a good starter kit.
To that add a corded 3/8 drill, 25 to 50 feet of drop cord, and drill
bits. The battery powered stuff is nice, but if not used very much, the
batteries will be dead when needed.

I'm with this advice. I bought my first socket set when I was 15 and
had a dirt bike; it was a cheap set from Taiwan, but it was enough for
me to destroy a few fasteners by overtightening them, which led to
buying a cheap torque wrench to do it properly.

You can buy a relatively cheap set of tools these days that includes a
socket set and wrenches, pliers, et cetera. As you break or outgrow
tools, you will have a better idea what kind of quality you want, and
can then go purchase a particular type/brand of that tool, which will
last you longer.

Don't forget to buy a tool chest and learn to put the tools back in the
same place after each use; the hardest part of fixing something is
having to struggle finding the tool.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

pound-shop piece of cheesemetal

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

pound-shop piece of cheesemetal

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.

I guess you have "everything for a dollar" shops?

But what would you call soft ****e metal that the pliars and screwdrivers in
such shops are made of?

My dad use to have a term "muckite" (****ite is also used) for die-cast
alumunium that snaps as soon as you look at it.

cheesemetal is different - it never breaks but it might as well be lead for
all the use it is :-o

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

pound-shop piece of cheesemetal

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.

I guess you have "everything for a dollar" shops?

Sure.

But what would you call soft ****e metal that the pliars and screwdrivers in
such shops are made of?

"Pot metal" is often used for cheap castings, but I've heard the term
applied to any low quality metal, even if it isn't cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Cheese metal is a good term. I once bought a drill bit at a home
improvement store that bent when I tried to drill a piece of wood with
it. Reminds me of the acronym ASO, meaning "anvil shaped object."

My dad use to have a term "muckite" (****ite is also used) for die-cast
alumunium that snaps as soon as you look at it.

cheesemetal is different - it never breaks but it might as well be lead for
all the use it is :-o

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

One of these might help.

http://www.swissarmy365.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1293657307-91017200.jpg

The last guy I know who had one of those ended up with a hernia

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

pound-shop piece of cheesemetal

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.

I guess you have "everything for a dollar" shops?

Sure.

But what would you call soft ****e metal that the pliars and screwdrivers
in such shops are made of?

"Pot metal" is often used for cheap castings, but I've heard the term
applied to any low quality metal, even if it isn't cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Ah - now you've said it, I have heard that term too...

Cheese metal is a good term. I once bought a drill bit at a home
improvement store that bent when I tried to drill a piece of wood with
it. Reminds me of the acronym ASO, meaning "anvil shaped object."

Wood - LoL! And I get upset when my SDS destroys a bit on iron hard masonry
:-

My dad use to have a term "muckite" (****ite is also used) for die-cast
alumunium that snaps as soon as you look at it.

cheesemetal is different - it never breaks but it might as well be lead
for all the use it is :-o

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Not sure which of the "four way things" you are speaking of.

I don't where I got this, but it ended up in my toolbox a while back and I
love it.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/11/19/dea...1-screwdriver/

I know I didn't get it through the Lowes deal, but I did get it for
free...I just don't know how.

I'm usually against combination tools that claim to take the place of
multiple tools but usually don't take the place of even one decent one, but
this Kobalt 6 in 1 screwdriver works very well. I don't use the nut driver
part for anything heavy, but the screwdrivers get a lot of use for quicky
fixes around the house and cars. It's nice to have 4 screwdrivers handy in
one easy to change tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Yes, in screwdrivers, you definitely get what you pay for.

Steve

Not sure which of the "four way things" you are speaking of.

I don't where I got this, but it ended up in my toolbox a while back and I
love it.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/11/19/dea...1-screwdriver/

I know I didn't get it through the Lowes deal, but I did get it for
free...I just don't know how.

I'm usually against combination tools that claim to take the place of
multiple tools but usually don't take the place of even one decent one,
but
this Kobalt 6 in 1 screwdriver works very well. I don't use the nut driver
part for anything heavy, but the screwdrivers get a lot of use for quicky
fixes around the house and cars. It's nice to have 4 screwdrivers handy in
one easy to change tool.

I worked for a large company as an electrician with about 20 others. We all
carried a tool similar to that one. Saved carring around a bunch of other
tools. While not the best for some things, they worked well for the
electrical connections. The tools were bought by the company and they would
buy us almost anything we asked for. So it was not a mater of getting out
cheap.
If we did break one, that was no big deal as the company would get us a new
one. They usually had a replacement in the tool room.

If I really needed a good screwdriver, it was back to my main tool box in
the shop to get one, or carry a good one if I knew I was going to need one.

Also nothing like carring a big screwdriver that I used for everything but
driving screws. Makes a dandy prybar and other abused usages.