Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two[_2_] Smitty Two[_2_] is offline

Default first tools

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

pound-shop piece of cheesemetal

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.

I guess you have "everything for a dollar" shops?

Sure.

But what would you call soft ****e metal that the pliars and screwdrivers in
such shops are made of?

"Pot metal" is often used for cheap castings, but I've heard the term
applied to any low quality metal, even if it isn't cast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

Cheese metal is a good term. I once bought a drill bit at a home
improvement store that bent when I tried to drill a piece of wood with
it. Reminds me of the acronym ASO, meaning "anvil shaped object."

My dad use to have a term "muckite" (****ite is also used) for die-cast
alumunium that snaps as soon as you look at it.

cheesemetal is different - it never breaks but it might as well be lead for
all the use it is :-o