Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default first tools

wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 06:00:24 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Dec 10, 8:50 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Every house needs...

router and basic bits
sander

Why would a router and a sander be in the top 4?
I have both and it has been years since I 'needed' to route something.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a router, belt sander, and
orbital sander. I have not used any of them in years.

I'd add a circular saw and saber saw to that list before a sander or
router. A sawsall is handy too. and yes, an electric drill is at the
top of the list for power tools. I also use an angle grinder very often
for metal, and even use it on wood occasionally, when I need to hack a
small fraction of an inch off a board.

We're all different. I had 2 routers before I bought my first reciprocating
saw. I certainly use my router and router table much more often than my
reciprocating saw. Just yesterday, I tried my hand at making cabinet doors
and drawer fronts. I made a lot of sawdust with my router but the
reciprocating saw never left its case. I also used my palm sander, but not
my saber saw.

As I said in my response to the OP: We need to know what the adult in
question plans to use the tools for before we can offer a list specifically
for him/her - especially when we start talking about power tools. Sure, a
screwdriver set, hammer, locking pliers and a tape measure are a decent
start for hand tools, but the choice of power tools really depends on what
tasks are in this particular adult's near future.