Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aged brickwork cosmetic scraping, wirebrushing tools - Do these described tools exist?

I'm looking for a quite slow rotational speed electric wirebrush, or a
design that has a wide (~5cm) brush wheel or separated twin wheel
pair (Segway style). In both cases with the brush wheel's axis
perpendicular to the power tool's body length so that it doesn't
snatch sideways as does a drill supporting a brush wheel. In the mode
I describe any snag against the brushwheel must overcome the inertia
of the power tool so it should be more manageable.

I'm also after a decorators' hook but much more robust, for scraping
100 year old sooty plaster-like material from a fireplace opening.

Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tom
writes
I'm looking for a quite slow rotational speed electric wirebrush, or a
design that has a wide (~5cm) brush wheel or separated twin wheel
pair (Segway style). In both cases with the brush wheel's axis
perpendicular to the power tool's body length so that it doesn't
snatch sideways as does a drill supporting a brush wheel. In the mode
I describe any snag against the brushwheel must overcome the inertia
of the power tool so it should be more manageable.

Angle grinder!

Seriously. Find one with variable speed control. Big dust problem if
these are soft bricks.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug, 21:38, Tom wrote:
I'm looking for a quite slow rotational speed electric wirebrush,

Maikita do one. Few hundred quid to buy, but you can hire them.
Looks like a cross between a flapwheel sander and an electric plane.

I'm also after a decorators' hook but much more robust, for scraping
100 year old sooty plaster-like material from a fireplace opening.

Sandvik do a big scraper hook with carbide edges. Great thing,
particularly for tarry stuff on floors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 9:38*pm, Tom wrote:
I'm looking for a quite slow rotational speed electric wirebrush, or a
design that has a wide (~5cm) *brush wheel or separated twin wheel
pair (Segway style). In both cases with the brush wheel's axis
perpendicular to the power tool's body length so that it doesn't
snatch sideways as does a drill supporting a brush wheel. In the mode
I describe any snag against the brushwheel must overcome the inertia
of the power tool so it should be more manageable.

I'm also after a decorators' hook but much more robust, for scraping
100 year old sooty plaster-like material from a fireplace opening.

Tom

If these are old bricks it sounds a great way to ruin them. Cement can
be removed with HCl, and dirt with a long water soak.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Aug, 08:13, Tabby wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:38 pm, Tom wrote:

I'm looking for a quite slow rotational speed electric wirebrush, or a
design that has a wide (~5cm) brush wheel or separated twin wheel
pair (Segway style). In both cases with the brush wheel's axis
perpendicular to the power tool's body length so that it doesn't
snatch sideways as does a drill supporting a brush wheel. In the mode
I describe any snag against the brushwheel must overcome the inertia
of the power tool so it should be more manageable.

I'm also after a decorators' hook but much more robust, for scraping
100 year old sooty plaster-like material from a fireplace opening.

Tom

If these are old bricks it sounds a great way to ruin them. Cement can
be removed with HCl, and dirt with a long water soak.

NT

indeed, tis the (more) weatherproof outer surface that is the most
important thing about old bricks....

what are you trying to get off?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:17:52 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

If these are old bricks it sounds a great way to ruin them. Cement can
be removed with HCl, and dirt with a long water soak.

indeed, tis the (more) weatherproof outer surface that is the most
important thing about old bricks....

Thanks Tim, Andy, Tabby, Jim,

It's the brickwork sides of an opened-out fireplace in a 200 year old
building. It's coated with soot tar and a semi hard, fibrous material
which I suspect is built-up layers of some combustion residue turned
grey/white. In some places it comes off in slabs, other patches are
more recalcitrant and so I'm looking for the scraper or the slow brush
powertool. Point taken on brick surface, reminds me of looking after
our teeth enamel.

I want to see if the exposed brick can be made cosmetically pleasing.
Otherwise I'll panel the sides with Promat fire boards!