Posted to alt.home.repair

Default first tools

Attila Iskander wrote:

A few years back I broke all my tools down into 5 groups.
Plumbing
Electrical
Carpentry
Mechanical
General
There are some things that overlap such as screwdrivers and basic pliers
But over time I got into more specialized versions for each category
e.g Electrical screwdrivers and pliers have insulated grips
Mechanical screwdrivers have hardened tips
etc.
I also color-coded the tools by dipping the handles into colored
rubber
coating

Has made keeping track of them far easier.
Particularly when SWMBO dips into one tool box and then just puts the tool
back on the bench (If that).

Yes. I did that when I started my house renovation. Bought several toolboxed
on discount that happened to be stackable and strong and have:

Plumbing
Electrical
Screwdrivers (etc)
Fixings (lots of screws)

The electrical one contains a second set of screwdrivers that are insulated
along with wirestripers, sidecutter, professional grade crimp tool
(insulated and uninsulated type) and various bits that go with my Megger
electrical tester.

I try to get everything back in the right box at the end of a job. Certainly
cuts down on tool-losing!

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."