Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carbon Monoxide Detector and Humidifier?

My sister has a stand alone humidifier located against a wall a few
inches away from where a carbon monoxide detector is plugged into a wall
outlet.

An electrician doing some work in her home told he the detector
shouldn't be located so close to the humidifier but didn't tell her why.

Other than the possibility of accidentally splashing water onto the
carbon monoxide detector while filling the humidifier, is there any
valid reason why they can't be located near each other?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe cause the humidifier puts out vapors
of dihydrogen monoxide, and might cause
false alerts?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

My sister has a stand alone humidifier located against a wall a few
inches away from where a carbon monoxide detector is plugged into a wall
outlet.

An electrician doing some work in her home told he the detector
shouldn't be located so close to the humidifier but didn't tell her why.

Other than the possibility of accidentally splashing water onto the
carbon monoxide detector while filling the humidifier, is there any
valid reason why they can't be located near each other?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Maybe cause the humidifier puts out vapors
of dihydrogen monoxide, and might cause
false alerts?

The only thing I can think of, the detector will gather more dust with
higher air currents, and other deposits.

I still got to recheck my detector. I put it near my car exaust and it did
not sound.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 04:36:54 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Maybe cause the humidifier puts out vapors
of dihydrogen monoxide, and might cause
false alerts?

The only thing I can think of, the detector will gather more dust with
higher air currents, and other deposits.

I still got to recheck my detector. I put it near my car exaust and it did
not sound.

When I got my first one 10 or more years ago, I had a bunch of
questoins and called the maker, a major name, and asked if I could
test it by putting it only a few feet from the furnace. She said not
to do that, I guess it would overload the sensor. Maybe you could
start fairly far and gradulally bring it closer.

My previous car for pollution testing actually had a measurement of
the CO, and it alternated between being high and low. I have no real
idea why. It was a 95 and had a catalytic converter.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

My sister has a stand alone humidifier located against a wall a few
inches away from where a carbon monoxide detector is plugged into a wall
outlet.

An electrician doing some work in her home told he the detector
shouldn't be located so close to the humidifier but didn't tell her why.

Other than the possibility of accidentally splashing water onto the
carbon monoxide detector while filling the humidifier, is there any
valid reason why they can't be located near each other?

I don't know-- but I have a CO/Gas detector in my family room with a
propane ventless heater. adjacent to that room are the bathroom and
kitchen. The only time my CO detector has gone off was when I had
all the burners on my stove going, including a huge pasta pot-- and
after someone showers in an adjacent bathroom.

I'd been blaming CO from the burners and powder or deodorant from the
bathroom. Maybe humidity sets off or disrupts CO detectors.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/12 08:11 am, Frank wrote:

My sister has a stand alone humidifier located against a wall a few
inches away from where a carbon monoxide detector is plugged into a wall
outlet.

An electrician doing some work in her home told he the detector
shouldn't be located so close to the humidifier but didn't tell her why.

Other than the possibility of accidentally splashing water onto the
carbon monoxide detector while filling the humidifier, is there any
valid reason why they can't be located near each other?

Thanks guys,

I guess because they do rely on chemical changes and wear out with time.
Probably best if just exposed to ambient air.

The latest ones seem to be capable of operating only for seven years,
after which they time out. I have an old one with a manufacturing date
of 1999 that still passes its own self-test, but I do have a current
model as a backup.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
My sister has a stand alone humidifier located against a wall a few
inches away from where a carbon monoxide detector is plugged into a
wall outlet.

An electrician doing some work in her home told he the detector
shouldn't be located so close to the humidifier but didn't tell her
why.
Other than the possibility of accidentally splashing water onto the
carbon monoxide detector while filling the humidifier, is there any
valid reason why they can't be located near each other?

These are fairly sensitive electronic devices. Water, even high humidity, could
damage electronic devices, or change conductivity/resistivity of sensitive
circuits, so they don't operate correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have we heard from the OP?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I heard a story of people who went out and bought their first CO detector,
got it home, plugged it in, and it sounded an alert. Of course the first
thought is- it's defective. But they called the FD and discovered that it
wasn't defective, their furnace was.

One risk in putting it near the humidifier is that if the humidifier goes on
and the CO detector sounds, that someone says "Oh, it's only because it's
too close to the humidifier" and they all die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Maybe cause the humidifier puts out vapors
of dihydrogen monoxide, and might cause
false alerts?

The only thing I can think of, the detector will gather more dust withgregz
higher air currents, and other deposits.

I still got to recheck my detector. I put it near my car exaust and it did
not sound.

My understanding is that a modern car does not produce all that much
carbon monoxide when in good working order -- I'm not willing to click
on the links I'm finding, as they are not appropriate for where I am,
but one reference says that 99% of the produced CO is eliminated by
the catalytic converter. It's supposedly quite difficult to kill
yourself these days with your car in the garage. Of course an old
car, or one with a defect in the emission system (that might not
otherwise be obvious) can still produce plenty, so you still have to
be careful.

There are test kits available that have a can with a high ppm of CO
for this purpose.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2012 10:36 PM, gregz wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Maybe cause the humidifier puts out vapors
of dihydrogen monoxide, and might cause
false alerts?

The only thing I can think of, the detector will gather more dust with
higher air currents, and other deposits.

I still got to recheck my detector. I put it near my car exaust and it did
not sound.

Greg

if your car was warmed up and was built since '74, you probably won't
get a reading out of it. Try the lawn mower. it should set it off
within a minute.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
[...]

i CAME across little foil envelopes with CO for testing. I bought one
and eventually tried it and the CO detector went off. I still have
that detector, but I bought a newer one.

Josh