Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ale-so-quickly

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ale-so-quickly

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.

I have used stuff like mowers from year to year with no apparent problems,
with gas in their tanks. Aside from that, this year I'm using stabilizers,
and some other crap supposed to cure alcohol related issues, also some
seafoam. Might as well add some marvel mystery oil. !!!

One year trying to start snow blower. Big ice chunk in float bowl. Not sure
if I ever got it to run after that, but it has a primer leak.

bad old gas smells different, but that's what I hear from my brother.

Greg
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 8:10*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...gasoline-go-st...

[...]

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
[...]

====

BHT

Also commonly used as an anti oxidizing agent in breakfast cereals.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

[...]

Mebbe a stabilizer would help for really long periods, but I think it could
be stored for a year and still be OK, without stabilizers. The article
seemed to indicate as much, if stored properly.
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:20*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
[...]

Apparently many others uses as well which I never would have known
until I Googled BHT.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butylated_hydroxytoluene

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:22*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

Based on personal experience I absolutely don't agree. The old gas
gummed up the carb of a lawn mower that I let it sit in and it would
not start. I'll never make the mistake of storing gas for a long
period of time without using a stabilizer again.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle
IF you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every
3 months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle,
then fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and
a marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are
a couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The
mixed fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas.
The saws and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air
cooled engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter
causing problems.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Steve W." wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

storage can are a bit different.

But, I'm all for feedback here, and mebbe 1 year is too long. I proly
couldn't handle the gas-exchange hassle more than every 6 mos, tho.

The article did point out that booze gas should be more prone to aging
effects, as the hydrophilic ethanol can attract more crap, like, well,
water.

I'm basically looking for a ballpark as to what I can reasonably get away
with, storage wise.

Funny thing, tho, this gas aging stuff.
--
EA

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Nov 1, 8:10 pm, "Existential wrote:
[...]

Sure, it's a hassle right now because of the storm.
But this will pass.

The very last sentence from your link...

Better to time your gas consumption and purchases so you don't need to
store any — gas prices being what they are, no sense tying up cash in
something that may just go to waste.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

iirc, BHT itself should be pretty flammable.
--
EA

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 9:47*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I think the problem is how gummy the gas gets with time from all the
additives they now use. The gasoline sold today is garbage compared to
what it use to be.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I occasionally use gasoline to clean bearings.

i would cean the bearings and leave the small pan outdoors overnite.
by the next day all the gas would of evaporated leaving just some
greasy dry crud i would wipe out with a rag and toss,

these days the gas leaves a non evaporating residue thats very gooey
and perhap 1/5 the total of the original gas...

it never evaporates........
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 12:22*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

With my experience if you're storing gas for more than a couple of
months use a stabilizer.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ale-so-quickly

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

That sounds like a novel use for gasoline. I know some people use other
more appropriate liquids and typically much smaller quantities are needed..

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I once, quite inadvertently, opened and then for years forgot
about and didn't use some high octane, leaded VP Racing Fuel
(gasoline). I couldn't distinguish any difference between it and
my newly purchased batch when compared to one another.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Steve W. wrote:

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle
IF you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every
3 months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle,
then fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and
a marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are
a couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The
mixed fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas.
The saws and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air
cooled engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter
causing problems.

Briggs & Stratton tell you not to store it for more than 30 days.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Steve W. wrote:

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle
IF you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every
3 months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle,
then fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and
a marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are
a couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The
mixed fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas.
The saws and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air
cooled engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter
causing problems.

You'll find most of the newer small engines sold have enlarged jets to run
a little richer. If you're having issues with ethanol, drill your carb jets
out one numbered size and you should be good to go.
--scott

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 11:33*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

[...]

I've also heard that some small engines won't run very well with the
87 octane fuels, but they run just fine on the 92-93 octane fuels. I
myself haven't run into this.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:09:32 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Nov 1, 8:10Â*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...gasoline-go-st...

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. Â*And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. Â*I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... Â*but not any more. Â*I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.
--
EA

"Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to
worry about."

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.

You should have smelt the crap I drained out of my old Onan
generator to get it started this week. And it plugged the main jet
too. NO WAY that sludge would have run the engine. I'll bet it would
have taken a blowtorch to even light it.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 00:22:08 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

[...]

The secret is "stored properly" which means in a sealed container in
a cool dry location. Stored in a vented plastic can or a vented
gastank on equipment in a hot tin garden shed is a long way from
"properly stored"
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 00:47:41 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Figure 4 months in the summer, 6 months over winter in a full tank.
Half or less if the tank is only half full, or if the summer storage
location is hot and humid.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:53:10 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Nov 1, 9:47Â*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Â*"Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to
worry about."

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.

Mebbe a stabilizer would help for really long periods, but I think it
could be stored for a year and still be OK, without stabilizers. Â*The
article seemed to indicate as much, if stored properly.

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle IF
you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every 3
months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle, then
fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and a
marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are a
couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The mixed
fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas. The saws
and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air cooled
engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter causing
problems.

storage can are a bit different.

But, I'm all for feedback here, and mebbe 1 year is too long. Â*I proly
couldn't handle the gas-exchange hassle more than every 6 mos, tho.

The article did point out that booze gas should be more prone to aging
effects, as the hydrophilic ethanol can attract more crap, like, well,
water.

I'm basically looking for a ballpark as to what I can reasonably get away
with, storage wise.

Funny thing, tho, this gas aging stuff.
--
EA

--
Steve W.

I think the problem is how gummy the gas gets with time from all the
additives they now use. The gasoline sold today is garbage compared to
what it use to be.

Gas 50 years ago went bad too. Perhaps not QUITE as quickly - but I
remember well draining awfull stinky gas from vehicles and equipment
that had been sitting back in 1969 as an apprentice mechanic. The
smell hung around for what seemed like an eternity if you spilled the
crap anywhere - and even just the vapour made your coveralls stink for
a week.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 08:15:29 -0500, "Gene E. Yuss"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

100LL Avgas is fresher when a year old tha the average pump gas after
6 weeks.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:13:13 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
wrote:

On Nov 2, 11:33Â*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle
IF you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every
3 months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle,
then fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and
a marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are
a couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The
mixed fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas.
The saws and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air
cooled engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter
causing problems.

You'll find most of the newer small engines sold have enlarged jets to run
a little richer. Â*If you're having issues with ethanol, drill your carb jets
out one numbered size and you should be good to go.
--scott

I've also heard that some small engines won't run very well with the
87 octane fuels, but they run just fine on the 92-93 octane fuels. I
myself haven't run into this.

This is true with companies like Shell Canada that put NO hooch in
the 93, and 10% in 87. Premium runs fine, regular like crap, and
mid-grade so-so on engines that are sensitive to hooch in the gas.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This is the point I'm trying to make to EA. I had the exact same
problem with the carb on the lawnmower which wouldn't run till I
rebuilt the carb which the old gas totally ****ed up with sludge.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Steve W." wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Without all the additives in older gasoline my guess would be that it
didn't create the kind of gummy sludge that today's gas does when it
sits for extended periods of time. I could be wrong and I have no
personal experience with older gas. Unfortunately I learned the hard
way with today's gasoline.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Steve W." wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I've had experience with the older gasoline - and although not QUITE
as nasty as today's crap, it was still nasty.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I always used old gasoline, in my pick-up truck, adding it little by
little to new gasoline.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 11/02/2012 02:14 AM, bob haller wrote:
I occasionally use gasoline to clean bearings.

i would cean the bearings and leave the small pan outdoors overnite.
by the next day all the gas would of evaporated leaving just some
greasy dry crud i would wipe out with a rag and toss,

these days the gas leaves a non evaporating residue thats very gooey
and perhap 1/5 the total of the original gas...

it never evaporates........

That's because the alcohol/water fraction doesn't evaporate off
overnight, and it's "gooey" because the material you removed from the
bearings is in it.

Jon

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:15*pm, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/02/2012 02:14 AM, bob haller wrote:

I occasionally use gasoline to clean bearings.

i would cean the bearings and leave the small pan outdoors overnite.
by the next day all the gas would of evaporated leaving just some
greasy dry crud i would wipe out with a rag and toss,

these days the gas leaves a non evaporating residue thats very gooey
and perhap 1/5 the total of the original gas...

it never evaporates........

That's because the alcohol/water fraction doesn't evaporate off
overnight, and it's "gooey" because the material you removed from the
bearings is in it.

Jon

I left a pan of the goo sit outside in a covered area for a month, the
gooey sludge never evaporated, in earlier time just a hard crud would
remain by the next morning.

gasoline has really changed
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
[...]

I'd do that but you can get ethanol free premium gas locally and since
the engines I have call for 90 octane+ it's just as easy to go that
route. It runs about 20 cents a gallon more than the cheap stuff, but
I'm only buying maybe 50 gallons a year. For 10 bucks it just isn't
worth the trouble to re-jet.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Steve W." wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

The old leaded gas would take longer to gum up BUT it would. It would
actually dry up to a hard glaze (just like varnish).
Then when the EPA started pushing the lead out and all the different
additives tossed in to replace the lead as an octane enhancer made
things get interesting.

On the flip side current gas isn't as bad if you get it on you and
doesn't smell anywhere near as bad when it goes bad.

BUT the ethanol causes problems in older systems with materials that are
not ethanol safe.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, BUT the local airport has a FIT selling it to me....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

Mebbe a stabilizer would help for really long periods, but I think it
could be stored for a year and still be OK, without stabilizers. The
article seemed to indicate as much, if stored properly.

TEL, MMT, and even MTBE were/are added at the refinery before the fuel was
sent to the distribution centers. There was no special handling needed at
the DCs.

Alcohol, on the other hand, is added to the gas at the DC /while the truck
is being loaded immediately prior to its daily deliveries to retail
outlets/. It is necessary to do this on account of the high corrosiveness
of alcohol, and on account of the tendency of alcoholized fuels to spoil
quickly. This special handling is expensive and troublesome for
distributors, and was/is one of the objections to oxygenated fuels.

At the level of the individual home user, year-old oxygenated gas would be
just fine, since any trouble you may experience would involve you alone.
Refiners, distributors, and retailers cannot afford the risk, considering
their high volume and their exposure to liability.

--
Tegger

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 12:15:45 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 11/02/2012 02:14 AM, bob haller wrote:
I occasionally use gasoline to clean bearings.

i would cean the bearings and leave the small pan outdoors overnite.
by the next day all the gas would of evaporated leaving just some
greasy dry crud i would wipe out with a rag and toss,

these days the gas leaves a non evaporating residue thats very gooey
and perhap 1/5 the total of the original gas...

it never evaporates........

That's because the alcohol/water fraction doesn't evaporate off
overnight, and it's "gooey" because the material you removed from the
bearings is in it.

Jon

No, the heavy crap is (sometimes) oxidized fuel - basically a light
tar - and occurs even if you haven't used it as a cleaning solvent.
This id with OLD gas. Fresh gas should almost totally evapourate, but
there is usually enough left to cause at least a stain.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:18:35 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

On the flip side current gas isn't as bad if you get it on you and
doesn't smell anywhere near as bad when it goes bad.

The crap I removed from my generator smelled bad enough - and it was
last run a couple years ago so it was not the "old type" gas -
although it WAS old.

BUT the ethanol causes problems in older systems with materials that are
not ethanol safe.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 18:19:39 -0400, "Steve W."

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I use what is drained out of airplanes ( that have sat for some
time) in my lawn mower. Being an airplane owner/builder means I CAN
buy it fresh too.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Storing gas without stabilizer in a fuel can or other approved container
is not the same as leaving the fuel tank of your mower or other gasoline
powered equipment. (2 stroke engines are especially sensitive) When gas is
not drained from carbs and fuel system gums and deposits can block small
orifices and fuel passages and prevent the engine from starting or running
properly. If the engine fuel system & carb is drained, and then filled using
a can of year old gasoline, it will probably run OK, (may be slight
performance loss with older fuel) OTOH if the same gas is left in the
equipment's fuel tank and fuel system for a year, there very well may be
starting or running problems.