Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:09:32 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Nov 1, 8:10Â*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...gasoline-go-st...

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. Â*And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. Â*I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... Â*but not any more. Â*I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.
--
EA

"Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to
worry about."

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.

You should have smelt the crap I drained out of my old Onan
generator to get it started this week. And it plugged the main jet
too. NO WAY that sludge would have run the engine. I'll bet it would
have taken a blowtorch to even light it.