Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:13:13 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
wrote:

On Nov 2, 11:33Â*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

I have stored gas for a year and although it will run a modern vehicle
IF you blend it into fuel already in the tank you can tell that it isn't
quite right. In small engines it runs MUCH worse. I rotate my gas every
3 months, not hard to do if you just dump the can into your vehicle,
then fill the can back up. I tag all my cans with simple string tags and
a marker. I have 20 gallons that is back-up for whatever. Then there are
a couple others that are for the mowers/trimmers/ saws and such. The
mixed fuels get mixed 1 gallon at a time and ONLY with non-ethanol gas.
The saws and trimmers run MUCH better without the booze. So do most air
cooled engines. The ethanol causes the engine to run leaner and hotter
causing problems.

You'll find most of the newer small engines sold have enlarged jets to run
a little richer. Â*If you're having issues with ethanol, drill your carb jets
out one numbered size and you should be good to go.
--scott

I've also heard that some small engines won't run very well with the
87 octane fuels, but they run just fine on the 92-93 octane fuels. I
myself haven't run into this.

This is true with companies like Shell Canada that put NO hooch in
the 93, and 10% in 87. Premium runs fine, regular like crap, and
mid-grade so-so on engines that are sensitive to hooch in the gas.