Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 00:22:08 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Nov 1, 8:10 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...gasoline-go-st...

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry
about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.
--
EA

"Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to
worry about."

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.

Mebbe a stabilizer would help for really long periods, but I think it could
be stored for a year and still be OK, without stabilizers. The article
seemed to indicate as much, if stored properly.

The secret is "stored properly" which means in a sealed container in
a cool dry location. Stored in a vented plastic can or a vented
gastank on equipment in a hot tin garden shed is a long way from
"properly stored"