Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default How does gasoline go "bad"? When?

wrote in message
On Nov 1, 8:10 pm, "Existential wrote:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...gasoline-go-st...

Basically answered all my questions -- I don't necessarily agree with it
all, but it's a good discussion.
For example, it's very difficult to oxidize a hydrocarbon without enzymes,
catalysts, and the like. And I don't think the "lost volatiles" in old gas
amount to much ito performance.

Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to worry
about.
After this bull**** with Sandy, NOW we got a gas crisis, so ahm fixin to
store a bunch. I figger I'll "exchange" it yearly -- it's own pita, but it
beats waiting 4 hours on line for 10 gals of ****ing gas.

I used to scoff at survivalists.... but not any more. I'm realizing that
urbanites/surburbanites are essentially walking around with their cheeks
spread.
--
EA

"Bottom line is, I don't think "bad gasoline" ito age is much to
worry about."

I don't agree. If you store it you need to use a stabilizer.

Mebbe a stabilizer would help for really long periods, but I think it could
be stored for a year and still be OK, without stabilizers. The article
seemed to indicate as much, if stored properly.

Sure, it's a hassle right now because of the storm.
But this will pass.

The very last sentence from your link...

Better to time your gas consumption and purchases so you don't need to
store any — gas prices being what they are, no sense tying up cash in
something that may just go to waste.