Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Klink! Broken glass!

Bought two large, heavy glass water drinking
glass, for candle holders. I had an emergency
candle lit, in one. Candle leaning against the
glass.

Klink! The uneven heat from the candle broke
the glass. No damage, dollar glass went in the
trash. No fire.

Learning moment. More dirt, around the base
of the candle, and keep the candle centered.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Bought two large, heavy glass water drinking
glass, for candle holders. I had an emergency
candle lit, in one. Candle leaning against the
glass.

Klink! The uneven heat from the candle broke
the glass. No damage, dollar glass went in the
trash. No fire.

Learning moment. More dirt, around the base
of the candle, and keep the candle centered.

Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made out of
the pyrex (or however you spell it). You also get a handle to carry it
around with. Also some of the candles that are used as food warmers work
fine for this. The ones that are about an inch or two in diameter and about
half an inch thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dollar Tree.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"PeterD" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Bought two large, heavy glass water drinking
glass, for candle holders. I had an emergency
candle lit, in one. Candle leaning against the
glass.

Klink! The uneven heat from the candle broke
the glass. No damage, dollar glass went in the
trash. No fire.

Learning moment. More dirt, around the base
of the candle, and keep the candle centered.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Webster?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seriously good idea. I'd not considered that.

Will try it, and see how it goes. I do have a
bunch of those "tea lights". Thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made out of
the pyrex (or however you spell it). You also get a handle to carry it
around with. Also some of the candles that are used as food warmers work
fine for this. The ones that are about an inch or two in diameter and about
half an inch thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Bought two large, heavy glass water drinking
glass, for candle holders. I had an emergency
candle lit, in one. Candle leaning against the
glass.

Klink! The uneven heat from the candle broke
the glass. No damage, dollar glass went in the
trash. No fire.

Learning moment. More dirt, around the base
of the candle, and keep the candle centered.

Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made
out of the pyrex (or however you spell it). You also get a handle to
carry it around with. Also some of the candles that are used as food
warmers work fine for this. The ones that are about an inch or two
in diameter and about half an inch thick.

Reminder: PYREX, like TSP, is a brand name as well as a process. That is,
something made of paper may have a big logo touting "Pyrex," but that word
does not mean what most people would think it means.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 3:46*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Seriously good idea. I'd not considered that.

Will try it, and see how it goes. I do have a
bunch of those "tea lights". Thank you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

m...

Look for some of the glass measuring cups the cooks use that are made out of
the pyrex (or however you spell it). *You also get a handle to carry it
around with. *Also some of the candles that are used as food warmers work
fine for this. *The ones that are about an inch or two in diameter and about
half an inch thick.

The candles are often for sale as 'votive' candles. They come with
their own little metal cup and drop into glass containers made for
them. Great for emergency lighting. and the little metal cup is
'refillable' for those really, really looking for a bargain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2012 03:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Seriously good idea. I'd not considered that.

Will try it, and see how it goes. I do have a
bunch of those "tea lights". Thank you.

Utter crap; not enough light, don't last long, and the wick gets funky
halfway through.

I'm surprised you don't aren't making your own out of beeswax; it's
extremely simple, and the beeswax candles don't put out carcinogenics
and CO like the paraffin candles.

You basically need two non-consumable things for votives:

The mold:
http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/sh...-6-Cavity.html

The wick thingies:
http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/sh...-Wick-Pin.html

Then you get a bag of the wick holders:
http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/sh...Wick-Tabs.html

Complete your kit with some wick:
http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/sh...ng-Medium.html

and beeswax: (I'll bet you have a local source for beeswax), I'm sure
you already know about melting the wax with a double boiler (I use a big
soup can in an old pot).

Once you make a batch, you'll never be out of candles, or quick gifts
for Christmas/Birthdays. As a side benefit, chicks really dig a man who
makes candles - seriously. ;-

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen votives, and also tea lights.

So far, no power out. Around me, one town had 40% or so of their residents,
power out, last night. I'm hoping things go well. For me, and for others.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy"
wrote in message

The candles are often for sale as 'votive' candles. They come with
their own little metal cup and drop into glass containers made for
them. Great for emergency lighting. and the little metal cup is
'refillable' for those really, really looking for a bargain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, not enough light was my impression. I'm not going to invest in more
candles. Going to oil lamps, and propane instead.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..