Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Broken glass

My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It is a
double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is
fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scout Lady wrote:
My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It is a
double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is
fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

Replacing the glass, not the window, right? Then, yes, replacement is
the best way. I've seen frequent failures in attempted repairs - the
seal never holds and the glass gets foggy on the inside. See if you
can find some markings on the glass. They'll tell you the manufacturer
and you can contact them to find out about replacement lights.
Sometimes they'll sell the whole sash - which to use depends on price,
who''ll be doing the work and the individual window.

You can also, and should, call up local glass guys and get a price or
three.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Scout Lady wrote:
My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It
is a
double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is
fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

Replacing the glass, not the window, right? Then, yes, replacement is
the best way. I've seen frequent failures in attempted repairs - the
seal never holds and the glass gets foggy on the inside. See if you
can find some markings on the glass. They'll tell you the manufacturer
and you can contact them to find out about replacement lights.
Sometimes they'll sell the whole sash - which to use depends on price,
who''ll be doing the work and the individual window.

You can also, and should, call up local glass guys and get a price or
three.

Thanks, I wound up calling the local hardware store and they gave me the
name of a local guy. I had the papers from the window so he said he will
pick up a unit and just switch out the sashes, $175 completely installed and
he can do it on Friday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:04:35 -0400, "Scout Lady"
wrote:

My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It is a
double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is
fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

A local reputable glass shop can replace what you have. They can
measure the glass, it's thickness and air space between the panes. I
can't see the cost of one Bay window glass/pane costing a arm or leg
to match - closely to what you have.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

can't see the cost of one Bay window glass/pane costing a arm or leg
to match - closely to what you have.

Small pane, probably not - big pane, big pain!

7 or 8 years ago, mower kicked up a stone, broke an
8ft x 4ft tinted gas-filled patio slider, cost me just a
few dollars short of my $500 homeowners policy
deductible to replace it.

Ouch!

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My 4 year old threw a baseball and broke the glass in my bay window. It is a
double pane and only the inside glass broke. Is this something that is
fixable or will the window need to be replaced?

Double panes will have to be replaced because they are sealed. That
is replacing just the inside pane won't work because moist air will
get in between, condense, and fog up the pane. And yes, they can be
expensive.

cutting mirror glass bent Woodworking 24 March 8th 06 02:17 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
replacing broken pane on double-insulated glass window Slumlord Home Repair 5 May 16th 05 01:50 PM
Glass blowing molds [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 19th 05 05:14 AM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM