Posted to alt.home.repair

Default camera copy stand

I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 6:45*pm, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Make a giant clothespin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 6:45*pm, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Make a giant clothespin

what kind of wood do you recomend?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Freddy Correa wrote:

I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

I've read this 6 times and I still haven't got clue 1 about what the
hell you're talking about.

Senior Member

Would this work:

RULAND MANUFACTURING Quick Clamp Shaft Collar, 1In Bore - Shaft Collars - 5DFH5|QCL-16-A - Grainger Industrial Supply

It's an anodized aluminum collar with a 1 inch ID. It uses a cam lock for quick locking and unlocking. It's about $36.

Last edited by nestork : October 6th 12 at 06:36 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2012 7:45 PM, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Drill a series of holes in the 1" dowel for a smaller dowel (say 1/4" or
so) that would rest on the stand's top plate. No holding necessary.

Now how you get a camera attached to the top of a 1" dowel is an excuse
for another off the wall post.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 22:04:17 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Freddy Correa wrote:

I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

I've read this 6 times and I still haven't got clue 1 about what the
hell you're talking about.

I think he just wanted to share his experience with us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

check craiglist , garage sales etc for camera tripod.

easier than making it, folds into aa tiny space easy to transport and
looks profesional........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2012 7:45 PM, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Don't use a wooden dowel. Get a 1" plumbing pipe and you'll find plenty
of options for friction clamps that will grab the pipe without slipping.
You can mount the bottom of the pipe to the wooden base of the copy
stand using a threaded mount with a flange that has a bunch of holes in
the base. You'd screw the flange to the base of the stand with wood screws.

I'd use a metal pipe instead of PVC because the friction clamps are much
more likely to damage a PVC pipe than one made from brass or galvanized
steel. Copper pipes might be too soft.

Depending on the weight of the camera, you might be surprised how heavy
and wide the stand might need to be to avoid it either shaking or
falling over when the camera is near the top end of the pipe. You may
want to C-clamp the base of the copy stand to the sturdy table you'll
need to put it on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freddy,

Ok, here's what I get. You have a table (with lights?). You have a 1"
dowel sticking up from this table. You want to slide a piece of oak on this
dowel. The piece of oak will have a support for a camera.
1 inch dowel sounds rather small to me but try it and use bigger if
necessary. Glue (and maybe nail) a collar to the underside of the oak
platform. The dowel will pass through the collar and the platform, a tight
but not binding fit. Drill and tap a hole through the collar and get a
winged set screw.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freddy,

Ok, here's what I get. You have a table (with lights?). You have a 1"
dowel sticking up from this table. You want to slide a piece of oak on this
dowel. The piece of oak will have a support for a camera.
1 inch dowel sounds rather small to me but try it and use bigger if
necessary. Glue (and maybe nail) a collar to the underside of the oak
platform. The dowel will pass through the collar and the platform, a tight
but not binding fit. Drill and tap a hole through the collar and get a winged
set screw.

Dave M.

Thanks guys for all your replies, I have tripods but a photocopy stand
is better,I have lots copying to do(digitize) of photo,poster,slide and
negative film . I'm using my buddy's $2,000 Nikon camera, I don't want
to drop it.A decent photocopy stand costs about 200 from B&H, I got
pipe,dowels and clamps time to use your ideas,thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2012 05:05 AM, bob haller wrote:
check craiglist , garage sales etc for camera tripod.

easier than making it, folds into aa tiny space easy to transport and
looks profesional........

I bought one of the cheap ones from amazon about 10 years ago, and for
my rare, occasional use it's still working just fine. Checking on
Craigstlist does indeed show several used models, starting at $10.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2012 7:45 PM, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Copying documents? Letter size? How much height adjustment do you need?
With a $2K camera, the focus adjustment should just about do it. Can
you put the post of your tri-pod upside down? Rather than adjust height
of camera, why not make the document platform adjustable with a threaded
rod or table top tripod?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can
be adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I
used oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy...easy-to-build/

It's not oak but it's cheap

--
PV

"Whiskey is Sunlight held together by water"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 12:54:03 -0600, "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net
wrote:

Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can
be adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I
used oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy...easy-to-build/

It's not oak but it's cheap

Not bad, really. I like his solution for the slowness of adjusting
with nuts on a threaded rod-
"Early on I supported the camera frame with "twisting nuts". These
were over size nuts with the top filed to be at an angle (ie just big
enough to slide up and down without turning.) . When a load is resting
on the nut it twists against the thread and locks. To adjust you just
twist the nut back to slide it up an down. In the twist position you
can still turn the nut a little for fine adjustments.
For example on 5/16" rods use a 3/8" nut (18 TPI and 16 TPI but it
doesn't seem to matter). "
[his diagram illustrates it well]

It seems like I've seen them already made-- anyone have a name for
them?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 11:37:16 -0400, Freddy Correa
wrote:

[...]

PV's link shows a decent one-- I'd also poke around estate sales for
darkroom equipment-- I picked up the vertical hardware for $5 a decade
or so ago-- I *still* haven't gotten around to making it into a copy
stand.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 11:36:52 AM UTC-4, Freddy Correa wrote:

Thanks guys for all your replies, I have tripods but a photocopy stand

is better,I have lots copying to do(digitize) of photo,poster,slide and

negative film . I'm using my buddy's $2,000 Nikon camera, I don't want

to drop it.

I haven't read all the replies so someone may have already said this, but for photo prints up to say 11X17, a $100 flatbed scanner will give you better results than the $2000 camera (though not as fast if you have really high volume).

Unless he has a parallax-corrected lens for copying documents you will get some distortion...and probably lower resolution if you care. Getting even lighting without reflections is also an adventure that the scanner won't take you on.

If you're just taking pictures for inventory purposes or of things to sell on ebay, you probably don't care about the above.

A good, slide/negative scanner or something for large posters is more expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 13:06:20 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

Copying documents? Letter size? How much height adjustment do you need?
With a $2K camera, the focus adjustment should just about do it.

No, focus is for focus. Unless you have a zoom lens, distance is what
must be changed to fill the frame the way he wants.

Rather than adjust height
of camera, why not make the document platform adjustable with a threaded
rod or table top tripod?

I've done that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Copying documents? Letter size? How much height adjustment do you need?
With a $2K camera, the focus adjustment should just about do it.

No, focus is for focus. Unless you have a zoom lens, distance is what
must be changed to fill the frame the way he wants.

A previous respondent's comment in this tread has a good point - a
flatbed scanner might be a better solution if the OP is copying 2
dimensional objects. With even inexpensive OEM scanning software, you
can frame (crop) the scan to fill the image file with the area of
interest and still have enough resolution in that file to tweak crop the
full frame image produced by the scan a little bit if needed and still
get very good quality 8x10 prints. I bought my Epson 3170 flatbed 5-6
years ago and found it to be an excellent value. I've probably used it
to make more than 10,000 image files and it works as well as when I
first got it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Copying documents? Letter size? How much height adjustment do you need?
With a $2K camera, the focus adjustment should just about do it.

No, focus is for focus. Unless you have a zoom lens, distance is what
must be changed to fill the frame the way he wants.

A previous respondent's comment in this tread has a good point - a
flatbed scanner might be a better solution if the OP is copying 2
dimensional objects.

Scanners work with 3d objects, too. Just drape them with black
cloth.

But they are painfully slow- and if the point is just to preserve an
image, I'd go with a camera.

-snip-
to make more than 10,000 image files and it works as well as when I
first got it.

Aside from the pictures I've taken with it-- I'll bet I've copied
100,000 book pages [many of them were books in library archives where
no flash or scanning was permitted].

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2012 9:29 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Scanners work with 3d objects, too. Just drape them with black
cloth.

But they are painfully slow- and if the point is just to preserve an
image, I'd go with a camera.

-snip-
to make more than 10,000 image files and it works as well as when I
first got it.

Aside from the pictures I've taken with it-- I'll bet I've copied
100,000 book pages [many of them were books in library archives where
no flash or scanning was permitted].

Jim

Well of course if your scenario prohibits scanning, a copy stand may be
the only reasonable alternative. However, in my experience, copying
documents and photos, a flatbed scanner is faster than a manual copy
stand, especially if the documents are not identical in size.
Additionally, for multi-page documents, by scanning I can make
multi-page pdf files without any additional time compared to making
single page files and save all the post-processing time I would have to
spend to merge multiple image files from the memory card of a camera.

I'm sure that there are pros and cons to each copy technique and
scanning will be easier and faster for some copy jobs and a copy stand
will be easier and faster for others. I haven't even raised the issue
of color balance and lighting source when comparing the two copy methods.