Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default camera copy stand

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 12:54:03 -0600, "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net
wrote:

Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can
be adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I
used oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy...easy-to-build/

It's not oak but it's cheap

Not bad, really. I like his solution for the slowness of adjusting
with nuts on a threaded rod-
"Early on I supported the camera frame with "twisting nuts". These
were over size nuts with the top filed to be at an angle (ie just big
enough to slide up and down without turning.) . When a load is resting
on the nut it twists against the thread and locks. To adjust you just
twist the nut back to slide it up an down. In the twist position you
can still turn the nut a little for fine adjustments.
For example on 5/16" rods use a 3/8" nut (18 TPI and 16 TPI but it
doesn't seem to matter). "
[his diagram illustrates it well]

It seems like I've seen them already made-- anyone have a name for
them?

Jim