Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default camera copy stand

On 10/5/2012 7:45 PM, Freddy Correa wrote:
I want to make a camera platform(out of wood) so that its height can be
adjusted on a 1" thick dowel-sort of home made camera copy stand.I used
oak but it too hard to hold onto the dowel without slipping.

Don't use a wooden dowel. Get a 1" plumbing pipe and you'll find plenty
of options for friction clamps that will grab the pipe without slipping.
You can mount the bottom of the pipe to the wooden base of the copy
stand using a threaded mount with a flange that has a bunch of holes in
the base. You'd screw the flange to the base of the stand with wood screws.

I'd use a metal pipe instead of PVC because the friction clamps are much
more likely to damage a PVC pipe than one made from brass or galvanized
steel. Copper pipes might be too soft.

Depending on the weight of the camera, you might be surprised how heavy
and wide the stand might need to be to avoid it either shaking or
falling over when the camera is near the top end of the pipe. You may
want to C-clamp the base of the copy stand to the sturdy table you'll
need to put it on.