Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default prevent electrical plug from wobbling loose?

My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from the
wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the plug.
However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to another
station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in the
outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long term
solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from the
wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the plug.
However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to another
station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in
the outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long term
solution?

*Replace the electrical receptacle with a commercial grade model. The cheap
residential grade models get loose over time as a result of frequent
plugging and unplugging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 4:27 AM, bob wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes
out of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper
without touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant
movement of the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the
plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from
the wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the
plug. However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to
another station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in
the outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long
term solution?

The $1.49 receptacles they sell at your local McHomeCenter are junk.
Purchase and install a quality receptacle and the plugs won't fall out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is

coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

Get an outlet extender that turns one outlet into three that's got the new
child proof shutters. It takes great force to get plug blades in and out
because they are pushing aside an internal plastic cover. Stopped a similar
problem for me.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WER-TAP/1.html

But be forewarned - the above may not be childproof as their stock changes
and I can't lay my hands on the invoices at the moment but a trip to
Wal*Mart or TruValue will find some that are. She might have to move the
tap and the clipper together, but the tap is small, and it doesn't involve
any electrical work. The shuttered outlets really do hang on. They are
cheap enough the whole shop could be so equipped for under $20.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*What is there to keep the extender from falling out? This accessory will
not alleviate the real problem and may aggravate it instead. A loose
receptacle can cause arcing which generates heat and sparks. Adding a 3-way
extender provides the opportunity to add more of a load to the receptacle
which would contribute to the arcing. I agree that the safety shutter will
make a plug fit tighter, however he can change the existing receptacle to a
tamper resistant type to get the additional grab.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.tv

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 5:34 AM, me wrote:
On 10/3/2012 4:27 AM, bob wrote:
[...]

Sure, but how about those great prices?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 4:27 AM, bob wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes
out of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper
without touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant
movement of the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the
plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from
the wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the
plug. However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to
another station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in
the outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long
term solution?

The easiest solution would be to replace the receptacle with a quality one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 3:27 AM, bob wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes
out of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper
without touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant
movement of the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the
plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from
the wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the
plug. However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to
another station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in
the outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long
term solution?

An electrical supplier can sell you a hospital grade receptacle made of
nylon or polycarbonate that is pretty much indestructible. They are
expensive but have been designed to resist the power cord from a floor
polisher being ripped out at an angle and keep working despite abuse. ^_^

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour.../pttr63hw.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/93ej996

http://www.cableorganizer.com/levito...FQs5nAod22AAjw

http://tinyurl.com/92fmjcm

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replace the socket, and buy the good one that costs $2.79.

I have similar problems at church, with the sockets in the hall. They need
the vacuum cleaner plug to stay in, but need to vacuum here or there.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob" wrote in message
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from the
wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the plug.
However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to another
station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in the
outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long term
solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The low quality remains, long after the 50 cent savings has been forgotten.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"George" wrote in message

The $1.49 receptacles they sell at your local McHomeCenter are junk.
Purchase and install a quality receptacle and the plugs won't fall out.

Sure, but how about those great prices?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 4:27*am, "bob" wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from the
wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the plug.
However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to another
station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in the
outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long term
solution?

Since she moves from station to station, you have a built in
troubleshooting process:

Does the plug fall out of every receptacle that she uses?

If Yes: The plug is worn. Replace the clipper's plug a quality plug.
If No: The receptacle is worn. Replace the receptacle with a quality
receptacle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The shuttered outlets really do hang on. They are
cheap enough the whole shop could be so equipped for under $20.

*What is there to keep the extender from falling out? This accessory will
not alleviate the real problem and may aggravate it instead. A loose
receptacle can cause arcing which generates heat and sparks. Adding a

3-way
extender provides the opportunity to add more of a load to the receptacle
which would contribute to the arcing. I agree that the safety shutter

will
make a plug fit tighter, however he can change the existing receptacle to

tamper resistant type to get the additional grab.

Your concerns are duly noted but the extender doesn't fall out because it's
also got a ground pin. I've rarely seen a clipper that has one. That's a
lot more surface area and friction to hold the extended outlet's plug in
place than a simple two prong plug alone. Especially a badly made one.

As for arcing, there's no mention of a faulty outlet. The issue is crappy
stuff from places with $1 a day labor costs. Lots of new gear comes with
simple flat prongs that don't hold well in ANY outlet. Better plugs have
dimples or even spring blades to maintain outlet contact.

Outlet extenders are UL approved, as are three outlet extension cords, so
they're not worried about arcing or overloading, so neither am I. From what
I've seen at hairdressing shops, during the initial wiring they anticipate
multiple hairdrying and curling iron loads and have lots of outlets. Mine
even has duplex outlets wired to both sides of each workstation.

There's no guarantee even a good receptacle will grab onto a bad two-prong
flat blade plug but the plastic shutters exert considerable extra force
resisting the plug pulling out. I guess, but I don't know, that the owner's
not even in this chain of events yet. The best solution to this problem
really depends on the quality of the plug and of the existing outlet. Does
the clipper plug fall out of other outlets? Do other items stay plugged
into the outlet the clipper plugs into? At a $1.49, there's a low buy in
cost for my solution. (-:

I suspect there are hundreds of dollars cost difference between our two
proposed solutions. That could easily be an issue because I believe a
commercial shop needs a commercial electrician. You and I could change out
a crappy outlet in less time than it took for either of us to type these
posts. Hopefully we would both first make sure the replacement actually
DOES hold the plug snugly! I am not sure if I owned a hairdressing shop I
could do that legally. It probably depends on where you live.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

An electrical supplier can sell you a hospital grade receptacle made of
nylon or polycarbonate that is pretty much indestructible. They are
expensive but have been designed to resist the power cord from a floor
polisher being ripped out at an angle and keep working despite abuse. ^_^

Yabbut. Consider the source of the question. A hairdresser. Through a
friend, at that. She's apparently not the owner or manager. As my Army
wife would say, any solution that involved rewiring the shop is probably
"above her pay grade."

Besides there's an assumption the outlet is at fault when lately all I see
coming from overseas are flat bladed plug without dimples or spring blades
to seat fully in the outlet. If the blades are too thin (who ever heard of
our overseas partners shaving a few mils here and there? - /sarcasm alert/)
even a high quality outlet may have trouble holding a bad plug.

The extender has a ground pin that can be smushed a bit to really fit
tightly. The internal slot covers of the outlets on the extender have to be
pushed aside by the force of insertion and that really acts to lock the plug
in place - even the lousy thin, non-dimpled, hole free, spring-blade free
cheap overseas junk that passes for a line cord plug these days. I use this
setup with a Craftsmen heat gun with a funky plug. No more trouble.

The problem is we have no pictures and not many concrete facts. When I get
my hair cut I'll ask the manager if I can look at his setup. I tend to
believe the wet nature of a hair salon requires a better grade of outlet
than the Home Depot truckload kind, but I only have the NEC highlights book.
Maybe a sparky here knows for sure.

Overall, I still think that a "purchase safety slot outlet extender for
under $2" solution is the right one considering who has the problem. I can
think of some people here, who, if they owned a salon, would fire a
hairdresser who suggested that their salon was wired with cheap junk. (-:
A lowly hairdresser suggesting an expensive rewire probably *should* get the
stinkeye from her boss. She might consider herself an expert in salon
management as well as commercial electrical wiring, too.

FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly that saving a hundred buck wiring a house with
crappy outlets is just asking for trouble. Unless you're flipping it and
long term reliability isn't your problem. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Replace the socket, and buy the good one that costs $2.79.

Hmm. They teach commercial electrical rewiring at cosmetology schools now?

The solution needs to be appropriate to the situation. For all we know the
existing outlet is hospital grade because it's in an area likely to be wet.
Not enough facts, too many assumptions.

We do know this isn't the owner manager, but a hairdresser who may not even
have her own station. What are the odds she's going to do a rewire or even
convince her boss the place needs one?

Another solution would be one of the Velcro strips they use to manage cords
and a little strip of Velcro next to the outlet. Attach the Velcro strip
around the line cord a little down from the plug and then stick the Velcro
loop to a piece of Velcro on the wall. The Velcro connection would absorb
the strain of the moving cord and you'd hear it starting to break away.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Does the plug fall out of every receptacle that she uses?

If Yes: The plug is worn. Replace the clipper's plug a quality plug.
If No: The receptacle is worn. Replace the receptacle with a quality
receptacle.

Ten points for not assuming the outlet's bad. I am surprised at how many
jumped to what I see as quite an impractical solution for an employee of the
salon.

"Gee boss, my clippers won't stay plugged in. Can we do a $500 rewire?"

Whoosh!

I see lots more bad plugs than I ever did before. No "springiness" and no
dimple or hole to catch the mating surface in the outlet. The odds are
50/50 plug v. outlet. (-;

Still, if you owned the salon and only one hairdresser was complaining about
one pair of clippers, would you jump at redoing the outlet? Would you let
her friend come in and do the rewire?

Probably the best solution if her friend is competent with wiring is to
replace the clipper's line cord plug with a three prong replacement plug.
Just having the ground pin makes a lot of difference in terms of
"stickability." Many of those replacement plugs are huge and have both
dimpled and folded over spring blades. Not likely to come out of even a
loose outlet. Doesn't involve the shop's owner in rewiring one or more
stations. Or at all.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

No hairdresser, nor salon owner, that I know of would ever consider an
outlet extender, based on aesthetics alone. These are people who invest
tens of thousands of dollars into design and maintenance of every
excruciating detail of interior design.

As far as cheap plugs from China, the hairdryers that they use are not
from Wal Mart. Hell, the scissors my hairdresser uses are about $250.

Pending Derby Dad's (iirc) simple test to determine whether it's the
plug or the outlet at fault, either the dryer (unlikely) or the outlets
(more likely) should be replaced. Even at licensed electrician rates, it
will be a petty cash thing compared to the frustration and professional
embarrassment of having plugs falling out of the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

Another solution would be one of the Velcro strips they use to manage cords
and a little strip of Velcro next to the outlet. Attach the Velcro strip
around the line cord a little down from the plug and then stick the Velcro
loop to a piece of Velcro on the wall. The Velcro connection would absorb
the strain of the moving cord and you'd hear it starting to break away.

Aesthetics, aesthetics, aesthetics. You're thinking like a homeowner
cobbling up a garage solution. Is this salon in Appalachia? You keep
talking about making the salon owner happy, and you keep making
suggestions that wouldn't fly in any salon within 100 miles of where I
live, at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/3/2012 3:27 AM, bob wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes
out of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper
without touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant
movement of the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the
plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from
the wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the
plug. However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to
another station/chair easily.

The replacing a socket ain't agonna happen and hacking on the clipper
cord isn't a very good solution, either, imo...

I think you've got the right idea...give her a strain relief.

First idea would be if she is allowed would be to use one of the
pressure-sensitive velcro pads on the wall near the outlet(s) and
another matching strip around the cord a few inches from end. All needs
is to stick the one side near each outlet used...

If that isn't allowed post back w/ any other constraints...is there a
countertop below the wall outlet and if so, how far below the outlet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob, what did the hairdresser say about replacing the socket?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dpb" wrote in message ...

On 10/3/2012 3:27 AM, bob wrote:

The replacing a socket ain't agonna happen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2012 01:27 AM, bob wrote:
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is
coming loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes
out of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper
without touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant
movement of the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the
plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from
the wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the
plug. However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to
another station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in
the outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long
term solution?

Install a little hook on the wall a short distance from each outlet, and
attach a small loop on the cord a short distance from the plug. This
will serve as a strain relief, and keep the stress of movement away from
the plug.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 11:46 AM, bob wrote:
Thanks to all who replied.

It's a business, and I don't know what quality receptacle they have. It
is a good idea to try other receptacles to see if it stays. However, I
suspect, like many of you, she won't be able to convince the owner to
change out the receptacles. In fact, I don't think she would even try.
Although I do most electrical work (replace switches, receptacles, etc)
at home, I'm not going to rewire their stuff.

The electrical outlet is right under a counter. Here's a sketch:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55756213/saloon.jpg

The plug doesn't fall out of the receptacle; it was just very loose
fitting before I bent the prongs. In her own words the plug made a "zzz"
sound once in a while and the clipper stopped momentarily. I interpret
this to mean arcing.

Some of the ideas posted may help. If she doesn't mind an extension
cord, I could try to find a 3-prong extension cord with a firm gripping
receptacle end.

The hospital grade receptacles is a good suggestion, not necessarily to
fix her problem, but a good thing to know in general. I see there are
also hospital grade extension cord, but the plug seems to take up alot
of space. Is there a local chain stores I can walk in to check these out
or are they mail order only?

Another idea is to zip tie a metal ring a foot away from the plug and
hang the ring on a screw-in hook on the wall. The hook would absorb the
cord weight and movements yet it is easy to unplug and move to another
station.

If you do a strain relief, use a spring attached to the outlet and a
clip on the cord. An extension spring similar to a screen door spring
works well. It doesn't have to be that long just have a loop in the
cord a bit shorter than the spring. It keeps a lot of jerking motion
off the plug. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I fixed a wire on a pizza oven, one time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I doubt you have rewired as many hair
salons as I have or repaired any
commercial hair dryers. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

At church, the vac cleaner sockets get pounded,
but the sockets in class rooms last almost forever.

At home, my toaster socket expected to last
forever, but the socket for the battery charger
will be much less so.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Any time I installed electrical outlets in a beauty shop, I always ask
the owner how often the outlet will be used. I don't waste money on an
outlet for a lamp in the waiting room unless a vacuum cleaner will be
plugged in there every day. The workstations always get the highest
grade outlets the owner can afford. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 06:10:06 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"bob" wrote in message
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is

coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

Get an outlet extender that turns one outlet into three that's got the new
child proof shutters. It takes great force to get plug blades in and out
because they are pushing aside an internal plastic cover. Stopped a similar
problem for me.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WER-TAP/1.html

A very bad plan. If the outlet is loose, this will be also. It's a fire
waiting to happen and you just helped it.

But be forewarned - the above may not be childproof as their stock changes
and I can't lay my hands on the invoices at the moment but a trip to
Wal*Mart or TruValue will find some that are. She might have to move the
tap and the clipper together, but the tap is small, and it doesn't involve
any electrical work. The shuttered outlets really do hang on. They are
cheap enough the whole shop could be so equipped for under $20.

Yeah, that's a cheap way to urn your house down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

If the thing does not have a cabled ground fault, have another twist lock
outlet installed, and on the cord, else have a locking fastener installed
to support the cord, or even a hook. Your not really supposed to pull on
cords, they will go bad. How about an extension.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 01:27:29 -0700, "bob" wrote:

My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

It would be easy to attach the cord to the wall a few inches away from the
wall outlet, so that movements of the clipper would not reach the plug.
However, she needs to be able to unplug the clipper and move it to another
station/chair easily.

I temporarily bend the prongs on the plug to make it stay more firmly in the
outlet, but this is only a temporary solution. What's a good long term
solution?

Replace the worn out outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"George" wrote in message

The $1.49 receptacles they sell at your local McHomeCenter are junk.
Purchase and install a quality receptacle and the plugs won't fall out.

Sure, but how about those great prices?

But it adds up. If you are building a $750,000 house, you can save
maybe 25 bucks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 07:29:20 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Hell, the scissors my hairdresser uses are about $250.

Hairdresser? Scissors? I use a towel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting way to remove hair.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Hell, the scissors my hairdresser uses are about $250.

Hairdresser? Scissors? I use a towel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You been having a seance, and channelling Walmart?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

But it adds up. If you are building a $750,000 house, you can save
maybe 25 bucks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

An electrical supplier can sell you a hospital grade receptacle made of
nylon or polycarbonate that is pretty much indestructible. They are
expensive but have been designed to resist the power cord from a floor
polisher being ripped out at an angle and keep working despite abuse.

^_^

[...]

(-:
A lowly hairdresser suggesting an expensive rewire probably *should* get

the
stinkeye from her boss. She might consider herself an expert in salon
management as well as commercial electrical wiring, too.

FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly that saving a hundred buck wiring a house

with
crappy outlets is just asking for trouble. Unless you're flipping it

and
long term reliability isn't your problem. (-:

--
Bobby G.

I doubt you have rewired as many hair salons as I have or repaired any
commercial hair dryers. ^_^

TDD

Is that all you've got? What does that have to do with *anything* here
except perhaps your ego? You suggested an expensive solution without
knowing nearly enough details to make that decision

I will explain again, because it doesn't seem you understood.

The problem with "replace all outlets immediately" solution, as DerbyDad
noted, is that no one ran any tests to confirm that the outlet was defective
in any way. We just don't know.

I based my comments on the increasing number of plugs I see coming from
overseas that have flat, undimpled blades that ANY outlet has a hard time
holding. If there was truly an outlet problem, we might have been told that
everyone has this problem. But it seems limited to the clippers this one
hairdryer uses.

Even *you* probably wouldn't rewire a salon on the say-so of
hairdresser/employee. In suggesting a rewire you pretty much failed to
consider an employee isn't in a position to make that decision. Even worse,
her suggestion that her boss had the place originally wired with bad outlets
could blowback very badly on her. Not many bosses like that kind of
technical advice - from a hairdresser.

What if he did the suggested rewire and it turns out that the same (perhaps
defective) plug fell out of the new outlets? Would you charge him for all
the work that you did that he didn't need doing? Is *that* really a good
solution to this problem?

As DerbyDad suggested, a little investigation is in order before anyone
declares an expensive rewire is necessary because one hairdresser's clippers
don't stay firmly in. A $1.42 outlet extender *designed* to clamp down on
the plug blades is a pretty cheap solution that worked for me in a similar
situation. My barber uses 6 outlet power strips to accommodate all the
various clippers he uses. I doubt his aesthetics would be horrifically
compromised by the use of a 3 way outlet extender despite opinions to the
contrary.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'm glad you're such an expert on all things electrical. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2012 4:07 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem with "replace all outlets immediately" solution, as DerbyDad
noted, is that no one ran any tests to confirm that the outlet was defective
in any way. We just don't know.

WTF? It would take me less time to replace an outlet (as a test) than
has been spent agonizing over the solution to this problem.

Sheeeeeeeesh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2012 4:22 AM, me wrote:
On 10/4/2012 4:07 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem with "replace all outlets immediately" solution, as DerbyDad
noted, is that no one ran any tests to confirm that the outlet was
defective
in any way. We just don't know.

WTF? It would take me less time to replace an outlet (as a test) than
has been spent agonizing over the solution to this problem.

Sheeeeeeeesh!

He doesn't understand the KISS principle when applied to electrical
problems. A two dollar outlet will last a few years longer than a one
dollar outlet and a five dollar outlet will last even longer but a
thirty dollar outlet will last forever. Be careful, Bobby will bury
you beneath a pile of pseudo-intellectual codswallop. He would still be
over analyzing the situation while the building burned down around him. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless the hair dressers are violent and epileptic,
what other likely problem would there be?

The OP said bending the prongs on the cord helped.
That's one clue. Though, one might not be enough
for you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 10/4/2012 4:07 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem with "replace all outlets immediately" solution, as DerbyDad
noted, is that no one ran any tests to confirm that the outlet was
defective
in any way. We just don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Unless the hair dressers are violent and epileptic,
what other likely problem would there be?

The OP said bending the prongs on the cord helped.
That's one clue. Though, one might not be enough
for you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 10/4/2012 4:07 AM, Robert Green wrote:

The problem with "replace all outlets immediately" solution, as DerbyDad
noted, is that no one ran any tests to confirm that the outlet was
defective
in any way. We just don't know.

One clue about what?

If I have a defective plug and I bend the prongs it will stay in a good
receptacle.

If I have a defective receptacle and I bend the prongs on a good plug it
will stay in the defective receptacle.

What have I learned? I've learned that bending the prongs on a plug will
help it stay in a receptacle regardless of whether the plug or the
receptacle is defective.

What haven't I learned? I haven't learned which one was defective.

Unless other plugs fall out of the same receptacle or unless that plug
falls out of other receptacles, no one knows which is at fault. A few
simple steps would determine that. Steps that would be easier to do than
replacing either part as a guess.

We used to call swapping parts without knowing what was really wrong "shot
gun troubleshooting".
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

We used to call swapping parts without knowing what was really wrong "shot
gun troubleshooting".

Yep, just was talking about that today at work. Had a problem with a
gadget, didn't know how to go about troubleshooting it. One guy
suggested swapping this part, that part, and the other part. So I gave
'em the shotgunning spiel.

Of course, with consumer electronics, and most industrial electronics,
there is no troubleshooting anymore. Bad solder joint on a $500 board,
you just bought a new board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2012 9:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We used to call swapping parts without knowing what was really wrong "shot
gun troubleshooting".

Who cares!
Take a new receptacle out of the package and try the plug fit.
Problem solved in 5 seconds.
Some people can make a mountain out of a mole hill.