Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default prevent electrical plug from wobbling loose?

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The shuttered outlets really do hang on. They are
cheap enough the whole shop could be so equipped for under $20.

*What is there to keep the extender from falling out? This accessory will
not alleviate the real problem and may aggravate it instead. A loose
receptacle can cause arcing which generates heat and sparks. Adding a

3-way
extender provides the opportunity to add more of a load to the receptacle
which would contribute to the arcing. I agree that the safety shutter

will
make a plug fit tighter, however he can change the existing receptacle to

tamper resistant type to get the additional grab.

Your concerns are duly noted but the extender doesn't fall out because it's
also got a ground pin. I've rarely seen a clipper that has one. That's a
lot more surface area and friction to hold the extended outlet's plug in
place than a simple two prong plug alone. Especially a badly made one.

As for arcing, there's no mention of a faulty outlet. The issue is crappy
stuff from places with $1 a day labor costs. Lots of new gear comes with
simple flat prongs that don't hold well in ANY outlet. Better plugs have
dimples or even spring blades to maintain outlet contact.

Outlet extenders are UL approved, as are three outlet extension cords, so
they're not worried about arcing or overloading, so neither am I. From what
I've seen at hairdressing shops, during the initial wiring they anticipate
multiple hairdrying and curling iron loads and have lots of outlets. Mine
even has duplex outlets wired to both sides of each workstation.

There's no guarantee even a good receptacle will grab onto a bad two-prong
flat blade plug but the plastic shutters exert considerable extra force
resisting the plug pulling out. I guess, but I don't know, that the owner's
not even in this chain of events yet. The best solution to this problem
really depends on the quality of the plug and of the existing outlet. Does
the clipper plug fall out of other outlets? Do other items stay plugged
into the outlet the clipper plugs into? At a $1.49, there's a low buy in
cost for my solution. (-:

I suspect there are hundreds of dollars cost difference between our two
proposed solutions. That could easily be an issue because I believe a
commercial shop needs a commercial electrician. You and I could change out
a crappy outlet in less time than it took for either of us to type these
posts. Hopefully we would both first make sure the replacement actually
DOES hold the plug snugly! I am not sure if I owned a hairdressing shop I
could do that legally. It probably depends on where you live.

--
Bobby G.