Posted to alt.home.repair

Default prevent electrical plug from wobbling loose?

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 06:10:06 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"bob" wrote in message
My friend is a hair dresser and her hair clipper's electrical plug is

coming
loose in the wall outlet.

The outlet is about 4 feet off the ground, so the clipper's cord comes out
of the outlet, drops down a few feet and then go up to the clipper without
touching the floor. IOW, it forms an U shape and the constant movement of
the clipper and the weight of the cord eventually loosen the plug.

Get an outlet extender that turns one outlet into three that's got the new
child proof shutters. It takes great force to get plug blades in and out
because they are pushing aside an internal plastic cover. Stopped a similar
problem for me.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...WER-TAP/1.html

A very bad plan. If the outlet is loose, this will be also. It's a fire
waiting to happen and you just helped it.

But be forewarned - the above may not be childproof as their stock changes
and I can't lay my hands on the invoices at the moment but a trip to
Wal*Mart or TruValue will find some that are. She might have to move the
tap and the clipper together, but the tap is small, and it doesn't involve
any electrical work. The shuttered outlets really do hang on. They are
cheap enough the whole shop could be so equipped for under $20.

Yeah, that's a cheap way to urn your house down.