Posted to alt.home.repair

Default propane cooker fuel connector confusion

Using (someone else's) turkey cooker: where the fuel hose connects to
the cooker, it has a brass 'collar nut'. This has a tapered end, as if
it's supposed to seat and seal. There is a smaller tube that passes
through this nut, which also has a tapered end. There are no gaskets.
The only thing I see that can be tightened is the collar nut. However,
when this is tightened, the tube can still freely move in and out.

Mechanically, that makes sense to me - the collar is tightening against
its seat, rather than pressing the tube into any sort of seal. But, I
don't see how this arrangement seals anything: gas could easily leak
around the tip of the tubing, and then escape where the tubing passes
through the collar.

I checked the connection for leaks, and it seemed OK. So, we went ahead
and used it. But, I'm puzzled as to whether this is how it's supposed
to work. I think I'm just missing something?

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:20:34 -0400, George
wrote:

[...]

Not sure I can envision what you mean. My hose looks like this one. It
will swivel at the end connected to the cooker. A 10PSI hose I recall.
The tapered end does not seat but fuels the burner.

Not the same hose and regulator as is on a gas grill. Different PSI
ratings.

Pic:

http://www.propaneturkeyfryer.com/files/1799264/uploaded/M5HPR.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It looked the same as that picture, even the color. But, where the nut
in the pic is snug against the back of the nozzle, on this one, there
was ~1/4" of nozzle shaft visible. The nut could slide freely over this
range. This was still the case when the nut was tightened.

But, if the nozzle needs to be free to rotate, maybe everything was OK.
As noted, it didn't seem to be leaking.

George
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Take it outside away from the house. Hook it up. Get a bottle of Windex.
Open valves, but not burners. Spray Windex everywhere and watch for
bubbles. You will have an answer forthwith.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Serious question:

Does it have to be Windex? Is there an ingredient in Windex that's not
in generic window cleaners or 409 or other spray cleaners?

I usually mix up a small amount of dishwashing soap and water and
paint the connections, but if I can simply spray something on that
would ceratinly be easier.

So, seriously, do I need something specific to make it bubble or will
just about any cleaner work? Obviously I don't want to use something
that doesn't bubble and think that I don't have a leak when I really
do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:19:19 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Does it have to be Windex? Is there an ingredient in Windex that's not
in generic window cleaners or 409 or other spray cleaners?

"Windex" is common vernacular in many areas for any brand of blue ammonia-based window cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Serious question:

Does it have to be Windex? Is there an ingredient in Windex that's not
in generic window cleaners or 409 or other spray cleaners?

I usually mix up a small amount of dishwashing soap and water and
paint the connections, but if I can simply spray something on that
would ceratinly be easier.

So, seriously, do I need something specific to make it bubble or will
just about any cleaner work? Obviously I don't want to use something
that doesn't bubble and think that I don't have a leak when I really
do.

Serious answer: I'm lazy. You can use a couple of drops of any cheap DW
liquid, and mix it up. Windex is just ready to go, and I seem to always
have some handy. Plus, it is a little more alcohol based, therefore
evaporates without leaving a sticky residue. Any soap would work.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:43:37 -0400, George
wrote:

http://www.propaneturkeyfryer.com/files/1799264/uploaded/M5HPR.jpg

It looked the same as that picture, even the color. But, where the nut
in the pic is snug against the back of the nozzle, on this one, there
was ~1/4" of nozzle shaft visible. The nut could slide freely over this
range. This was still the case when the nut was tightened.

Might be they way the manufacturer makes them. IIRC mine, like above,
is made by Char Broil? (bought at HD)

But, if the nozzle needs to be free to rotate, maybe everything was OK.
As noted, it didn't seem to be leaking.

Do you recall what brand of cooker? Perhaps something related to the
burner type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"O" ringed seal, likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.propaneturkeyfryer.com/files/1799264/uploaded/M5HPR.jpg

It looked the same as that picture, even the color. But, where the nut
in the pic is snug against the back of the nozzle, on this one, there
was ~1/4" of nozzle shaft visible. The nut could slide freely over this
range. This was still the case when the nut was tightened.

Might be they way the manufacturer makes them. IIRC mine, like above,
is made by Char Broil? (bought at HD)

But, if the nozzle needs to be free to rotate, maybe everything was OK.
As noted, it didn't seem to be leaking.

Do you recall what brand of cooker? Perhaps something related to the
burner type.

No. As noted, though, the hose matched the picture.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the 2nd nut, the one up against
the crimp fitting? I didn't do anything with it.

George

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:29:32 -0400, George
wrote:

http://www.propaneturkeyfryer.com/files/1799264/uploaded/M5HPR.jpg

Does anyone know what is the purpose of the 2nd nut, the one up against
the crimp fitting? I didn't do anything with it.

George

Good question. I once put wrenches on both thinking I could remove the
tip. It would only spin.

connector for propane hoses John UK diy 2 January 16th 11 06:12 PM
Gas Cooker connector Roger R UK diy 11 October 8th 07 03:36 PM
Connector for cooker hood Z UK diy 6 May 13th 04 10:18 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM