Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default propane cooker fuel connector confusion

"George" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:37:46 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:20:34 -0400, George
wrote:

Using (someone else's) turkey cooker: where the fuel hose connects to
the cooker, it has a brass 'collar nut'. This has a tapered end, as if
it's supposed to seat and seal. There is a smaller tube that passes
through this nut, which also has a tapered end. There are no gaskets.
The only thing I see that can be tightened is the collar nut. However,
when this is tightened, the tube can still freely move in and out.

Mechanically, that makes sense to me - the collar is tightening against
its seat, rather than pressing the tube into any sort of seal. But, I
don't see how this arrangement seals anything: gas could easily leak
around the tip of the tubing, and then escape where the tubing passes
through the collar.

I checked the connection for leaks, and it seemed OK. So, we went ahead
and used it. But, I'm puzzled as to whether this is how it's supposed
to work. I think I'm just missing something?

Thanks,
George

Not sure I can envision what you mean. My hose looks like this one. It
will swivel at the end connected to the cooker. A 10PSI hose I recall.
The tapered end does not seat but fuels the burner.

Not the same hose and regulator as is on a gas grill. Different PSI
ratings.

Pic:

http://www.propaneturkeyfryer.com/files/1799264/uploaded/M5HPR.jpg

It looked the same as that picture, even the color. But, where the nut
in the pic is snug against the back of the nozzle, on this one, there
was ~1/4" of nozzle shaft visible. The nut could slide freely over this
range. This was still the case when the nut was tightened.

But, if the nozzle needs to be free to rotate, maybe everything was OK.
As noted, it didn't seem to be leaking.

George

Take it outside away from the house. Hook it up. Get a bottle of Windex.
Open valves, but not burners. Spray Windex everywhere and watch for
bubbles. You will have an answer forthwith.

Steve