Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

Default Can I pick my kid's MASTER combination lock to re-use them

My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 8/21/2012 9:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

Youtube has a few videos on this subject. Not saying they work, but
there are a number of videos regarding cracking Master branded locks...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars. Shame
on you for asking.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J.G." wrote in message
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:58:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars.
Shame on you for asking

You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:12:04 -0700, a2rjh wrote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-%22Ma...mbination-Lock

Nice. I'll try that.

Here's what a locksmith mailed me when I asked him:

"It's not worth the cost of a new lock.

You can try to shim it open (old models not too hard, newer models
hard) then look inside with a light while holding back the latch, line
up the gates on the wheels and apply a correction factor to get the
combo.

Or, drill a small hole in the back in the right spot, feel for the
gates with a pin and apply correction factor to each number if needed.

I've done it but it's not worth the few dollars for a new one. Then
etch the combo on the back of each one in some kind of code.

For example, say you were born 3/15/1990 and say your combination lock is
10:20:30, you write 7:5:60 on the back. Only you know the math to get
back to the combination by adding or subtracting your birth date."

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:06:01 -0500, Truthman wrote:

Them cheap Masterlock combos are "top secret."
I used to pick the old ones by "feel."

When I was a kid, I remember doing that too. It was easier, IIRC, when
the hasp was open. Also we'd generally remember one or two of the numbers
so it was really an exercise in finding where the latch 'fit right'.

I'm trying the procedure below:
How to Crack a "Master Lock" Combination Lock
http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-%22Ma...mbination-Lock

My first CW stop point was 39
My first CCW stop point was 2.5
So my sticking range is 39 to 2.5
That makes my sticking point 39 minus 2.5 = 36.5
Sticking point 1 of 12 =
Sticking point 1 of 12 =
Sticking point 1 of 12 =
Sticking point 1 of 12 =

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Aug 21, 9:35*pm, "J.G." wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

Every single one of those Master combination
padlocks left the factory with a six digit number
etched on the back in the center of the circular
depression on the back of the lock case...

If the locks had key override function then the
number of the registered key would by etched
below the serial number...

That serial number matches the number on
the code tag which came stuck to the back
of the lock...

You could take the locks to a real locksmith
who has invested in the code software and
can look up the serial number to see if a
combination is listed but not every locksmith
pays to be able to access that information...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Aug 21, 11:06*pm, Truthman wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:58:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars.
Shame on you for asking

You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

He's serious about this. *Doubt he's a locksmith. *Maybe he read a book
and thinks he is. *Or he changed a couple locksets.
He's a trailer park birther. *What do you expect?
Them cheap Masterlock combos are "top secret."
I used to pick the old ones by "feel." *Last time I tried one a few
years ago I lost patience and didn't open it. *Didn't care either.
How to do it is probably all over the internet, but hidden from jokers
like the one who is here top-posting inane crap.

He is somewhat of a locksmith in a backwoods
hick kind of town where they have little more than
Schlages and Kwiksets to deal with...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 03:29:05 +0000, J.G. wrote:

I'm trying the procedure below:
How to Crack a "Master Lock" Combination Lock
http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-%22Ma...mbination-Lock

That article turned out to be impossible to follow.

Mine initially stuck at 36 to 39 counter clockwise.
Then it stuck at the following numbers clockwise:
2.5, 5.5, 9, 12.5, 16, 19, 22.5, 25.5, 29, 32.5, 35.5, 39
Dropping out the seven half numbers, we end up with 9, 16, 19, 29, 39
The only unique 2nd digit is 16, so that's my 3rd number.
16/4=4 remainder 0; so 0 is my magic number.
But at that point, I couldn't follow as the instructions made absolutely
no sense.

They 'should' have given a concrete example, and stuck with that single
example the entire way through instead of what they did.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 03:29:05 +0000, J.G. wrote:

How to Crack a "Master Lock" Combination Lock
http://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-%22Ma...mbination-Lock

I gave up on that site above. It's impossible to follow.

I'm trying this site now:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/masterlockcrack/

It's muuuuuuch better written!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:30:07 -0700, Evan wrote:

Every single one of those Master combination padlocks left the factory
with a six digit number etched on the back in the center of the circular
depression on the back of the lock case...

I know exactly what you're talking about as I have some locks that do
have that number etched on the back.

But the set I am tackling does NOT have any number on the back.

They are clearly MASTER combination locks - but they just as clearly do
not have any numbers etched on the back plate.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:30:36 +0000, J.G. wrote:

I'm trying this site now:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/masterlockcrack/

OK, I 'think' I have the third number of the lock combination triad.
Here's how I did it.

Rotate the dial CW three times and then stop at the zero.
Tension the shackle & turn CW, successively, to each sticking arc.
NOTE: There will be 7 half points & 5 full points, e.g.:
1st sticking arc was between 2 & 3 (i.e., sticking point = 2.5)
2nd sticking arc was between 5 & 6 (i.e., sticking point = 5.5)
3rd sticking arc was between 8.5 & 9.5 (i.e., sticking point = 9)
4th sticking arc was between 12 & 13 (i.e., sticking point = 12.5)
5th sticking arc was between 15.5 & 16.5 (sticking point = 16)
6th sticking arc was between 18.5 & 19.5 (sticking point = 19)
7th sticking arc was between 22 & 23 (sticking point = 22.5)
8th sticking arc was between 25 & 26 (sticking point = 25.5)
9th sticking arc was between 28.5 & 29.5 (sticking point = 29)
10th sticking arc was between 32 & 33 (sticking point = 32.5)
11th sticking arc was between 35 & 36 (sticking point = 35.5)
12th sticking arc was between 38.5 & 39.5 (sticking point = 39)

Here are the 5 full points: 9, 16, 19, 29, 39.
Looking only at the one's digit, we eliminate the duplicates.
That leaves us the oddball 16, which is #3 of the combination triad!

Doublecheck #3 of the triad using this more exact method:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/masterlockcrack/3rd-2.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:05:00 +0000, J.G. wrote:

That leaves us the oddball 16, which is #3 of the combination triad!

Now to find #1 of the combination triad.

These are the ten possible #1 values:
1. 16/4, remainder = 0
2. 0 + 4 = 4
3. 4 + 4 = 8
4. 8 + 4 = 12
5. 12 + 4 = 16
6. 16 + 4 = 20
7. 20 + 4 = 24
8. 24 + 4 = 28
9. 28 + 4 = 32
10. 32 + 4 = 36

So, at this point, we know the third number of the triad is 16.
And the first number of the triad is one of these ten numbers:
0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, or 36

Note: We should doublecheck these possible numbers he
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/masterl.../1st2nd-2.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:15:19 +0000, J.G. wrote:

That leaves us the oddball 16, which is #3 of the combination triad!

And the first number of the triad is one of these ten numbers: 0, 4, 8,
12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, or 36

Moving on to the second number of the triad:

These are the ten possible #2 values:
1. 0 + 2 = 2
2. 2 + 4 = 6
3. 6 + 4 = 10
4. 10 + 4 = 14
5. 14 + 4 = 18
6. 18 + 4 = 22
7. 22 + 4 = 26
8. 26 + 4 = 30
9. 30 + 4 = 34
10. 34 + 4 = 38

So, the ten possible #2 values of the triad a
2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, or 38
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:21:27 +0000, J.G. wrote:

That leaves us the oddball 16, which is #3 of the combination triad!

And the first number of the triad is one of these ten numbers: 0, 4, 8,
12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, or 36

So, the ten possible #2 values of the triad a
2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, or 38

So all the possible combinations a
0 : 2 : 16
0 : 6 : 16
0 :
0 :
0 :
0 :
0 :
0 :
0 :

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:21:27 +0000, J.G. wrote:

That leaves us the oddball 16, which is #3 of the combination triad!

And the first number of the triad is one of these ten numbers: 0, 4, 8,
12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, or 36

So, the ten possible #2 values of the triad a
2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, or 38

So the 100 possible combinations a
0 : 2 : 16
0 : 6 : 16
0 : 10 : 16
0 : 14 : 16
0 : 18 : 16
0 : 22 : 16
0 : 26 : 16
0 : 30 : 16
0 : 34 : 16
0 : 38 : 16

4 : 2 : 16
4 : 6 : 16
4 : 10 : 16
4 : 14 : 16
4 : 18 : 16
4 : 22 : 16
4 : 26 : 16
4 : 30 : 16
4 : 34 : 16
4 : 38 : 16

8 : 2 : 16
8 : 6 : 16
8 : 10 : 16
8 : 14 : 16
8 : 18 : 16
8 : 22 : 16
8 : 26 : 16
8 : 30 : 16
8 : 34 : 16
8 : 38 : 16

and so on.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:32:38 +0000, J.G. wrote:

So the 100 possible combinations a

This video is muuuuch easier to follow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlArw7_cz4

Also, this web site is much easier to follow:
http://voices.yahoo.com/crack-any-ma...11.html?cat=72

Given these possible combinations, the bad news is none of them worked just now!

0 : 2 : 16
0 : 6 : 16
0 : 10 : 16
0 : 14 : 16
0 : 18 : 16
0 : 22 : 16
0 : 26 : 16
0 : 30 : 16
0 : 34 : 16
0 : 38 : 16

4 : 2 : 16
4 : 6 : 16
4 : 10 : 16
4 : 14 : 16
4 : 18 : 16
4 : 22 : 16
4 : 26 : 16
4 : 30 : 16
4 : 34 : 16
4 : 38 : 16

8 : 2 : 16
8 : 6 : 16
8 : 10 : 16
8 : 14 : 16
8 : 18 : 16
8 : 22 : 16
8 : 26 : 16
8 : 30 : 16
8 : 34 : 16
8 : 38 : 16

12 : 2 : 16
12 : 6 : 16
12 : 10 : 16
12 : 14 : 16
12 : 18 : 16
12 : 22 : 16
12 : 26 : 16
12 : 30 : 16
12 : 34 : 16
12 : 38 : 16

16 : 2 : 16
16 : 6 : 16
16 : 10 : 16
16 : 14 : 16
16 : 18 : 16
16 : 22 : 16
16 : 26 : 16
16 : 30 : 16
16 : 34 : 16
16 : 38 : 16

20 : 2 : 16
20 : 6 : 16
20 : 10 : 16
20 : 14 : 16
20 : 18 : 16
20 : 22 : 16
20 : 26 : 16
20 : 30 : 16
20 : 34 : 16
20 : 38 : 16

24 : 2 : 16
24 : 6 : 16
24 : 10 : 16
24 : 14 : 16
24 : 18 : 16
24 : 22 : 16
24 : 26 : 16
24 : 30 : 16
24 : 34 : 16
24 : 38 : 16

28 : 2 : 16
28 : 6 : 16
28 : 10 : 16
28 : 14 : 16
28 : 18 : 16
28 : 22 : 16
28 : 26 : 16
28 : 30 : 16
28 : 34 : 16
28 : 38 : 16

30 : 2 : 16
30 : 6 : 16
30 : 10 : 16
30 : 14 : 16
30 : 18 : 16
30 : 22 : 16
30 : 26 : 16
30 : 30 : 16
30 : 34 : 16
30 : 38 : 16

34 : 2 : 16
34 : 6 : 16
34 : 10 : 16
34 : 14 : 16
34 : 18 : 16
34 : 22 : 16
34 : 26 : 16
34 : 30 : 16
34 : 34 : 16
34 : 38 : 16
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 08/21/2012 09:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

Oh for goodness sake! I spend more for a breakfast at Mickey D's than
the price of a consumer grade padlock. Even if I knew of a procedure I
wouldn't spend the time. Buy a new lock (Master Lock will appreciate
it.) Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 8/21/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

if you box them up and send them to master they will return them with
the combos. I've done this a few times in my life.

Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/21/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

if you box them up and send them to master they will return them with the
combos. I've done this a few times in my life.

Now THAT is a great suggestion I had not ever imagined. Simple and
straight-forward.

I was intriuged by the discovery method the OP was pursuing but it sure
seems like a lot of fuss for a cheap lock. The factory return postage seems
to be a reasonable alternative to endless dial twisting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

I'm totally serious.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J.G." wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:58:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars.
Shame on you for asking

You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

I got my first lock related job in 1984, I think it was. Cutting keys, only.
Moved from that to a job with a full service locksmith. Worked there for
about a year, and then went into business for myself. I've been a locksmith
for over twenty years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Truthman" wrote in message

He's serious about this. Doubt he's a locksmith. Maybe he read a book
and thinks he is. Or he changed a couple locksets.
He's a trailer park birther. What do you expect?
Them cheap Masterlock combos are "top secret."
I used to pick the old ones by "feel." Last time I tried one a few
years ago I lost patience and didn't open it. Didn't care either.
How to do it is probably all over the internet, but hidden from jokers
like the one who is here top-posting inane crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 21/08/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

I still have a master combination lock stuck to my bicycle panier bag.
I cannot access the master lock web site to retrieve my combination, and
members from this fine group, rightfully so I guess, are reluctant to
look up the combination for me. The lock is positioned so I could
easily damage the fabric of the bag if I slip with the hack saw blade,
and trying out different combinations is VERY awkward.

So I guess we are both SOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

In article , homepc
wrote:

I still have a master combination lock stuck to my bicycle panier bag.
I cannot access the master lock web site to retrieve my combination

Why not? You don't have a library, or similar nearby with both
computers and an Internet connection? No friends?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

.

"Truthman" wrote in message

He's serious about this. *Doubt he's a locksmith. *Maybe he read a book
and thinks he is. *Or he changed a couple locksets.
He's a trailer park birther. *What do you expect?
Them cheap Masterlock combos are "top secret."
I used to pick the old ones by "feel." *Last time I tried one a few
years ago I lost patience and didn't open it. *Didn't care either.
How to do it is probably all over the internet, but hidden from jokers
like the one who is here top-posting inane crap.

And still haven't learned not to top post.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

It takes 10 seconds to shim these open.

Just give your kids a shim and don't worry about the combination.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On 8/22/2012 9:38 AM, homepc wrote:
On 21/08/2012 8:35 PM, J.G. wrote:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER combination locks which
I'd like to re-use for my PE for my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't
remember the combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

I still have a master combination lock stuck to my bicycle panier bag. I
cannot access the master lock web site to retrieve my combination, and
members from this fine group, rightfully so I guess, are reluctant to
look up the combination for me. The lock is positioned so I could
easily damage the fabric of the bag if I slip with the hack saw blade,
and trying out different combinations is VERY awkward.

So I guess we are both SOL!

use a bolt cutter then.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 02:51:39 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
wrote:

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

Right. Only prisoners have and use a master combination lock.

When they forget the combo they ask the officer to open the lock with
a master key.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Aug 21, 10:51*pm, "J.G." wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:58:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars.
Shame on you for asking

You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little
girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his
van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?

Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?

You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you
even have kids?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

Easy-peasy!

http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch...ers-41151.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

Thanks, Dad.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
You're joking ... right?

We're talking about a master combination lock.

Not the keys to Leavenworth.

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little
girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his
van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?

Does only Leavenworth have locks that shouldn't be touched?

You say your "teen" has a bunch of them, but how do we know that you
even have kids?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
No honorable locksmith would ever teach picking, combination finding, or
lock defeating on an open forum such as this. You insult locksmiths, by
asking them to reveal trade secrets which could be used by burglars. Shame
on you for asking.

I've been reading this newsgroup for over 10 years and I don't ever recall
a real locksmith, honorable or otherwise, ever posting here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

In ,
J.G. typed:
My teen has a half dozen of the classic MASTER
combination locks which I'd like to re-use for my PE for
my grade schooler, yet the teen doesn't remember the
combination to any of the padlocks.

They're the classic colored-dial Master combination locks.
They're all locked but not locked to anything.
There is no serial number that I can see.
It just says "Hardened" on the hasp.

Is there a method for finding the combination?

Take them to a locksmth.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:09:51 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How do we know that the lock in question isn't securing some little
girl's bicyle to her back porch? Or a veteran's wheel chair to his
van? Or the shed where I store my new riding mower?

Good point. You don't.

But you have to wonder WHO would secure anything of great value with a
Master combination lock, when clearly, according to the information on
the web, it's a fifteen-minute affair to crack them open.

Note: It took me at least a half hour NOT to open the first one I tried,
but, I assume I made a mistake in determining the critical magic number.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:06:08 -0400, Bernie Ward wrote:

Easy-peasy!
http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch...ers-41151.html

Heh heh.

That will work 'if' my goal was to obtain what is locked; but in this
case, bolt cutters would only free the air between the hasp!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 06:15:04 -0400, J.B. Wood wrote:

Buy a new lock (Master Lock will appreciate it.)

What fun would that be?

You have to admit, being 'clever' enough (to read the Internet how to)
pick a lock is fun in and of itself.

It's not about the money ... it's about the satisfaction.

I'm going to try the procedures again - but - I admit - they're a bit
tedious because the magic 3rd number is all important. Get it wrong, and
you're doomed.

Get it right, and the lock opens (they say) within fifteen minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:17:16 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:06:08 -0400, Bernie Ward wrote:

Easy-peasy!
http://www.harborfreight.com/42-inch...ers-41151.html

Heh heh.

That will work 'if' my goal was to obtain what is locked; but in this
case, bolt cutters would only free the air between the hasp!

I'm glad you're trying this.
Now I won't ever waste my time with it for sure.
Thanks for your public service efforts.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:59:39 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

if you box them up and send them to master they will return them with
the combos. I've done this a few times in my life.

That wouldn't be any fun at all ... and who is on these newsgroups who
isn't a fun kind of guy ... but if it isn't a myth, then it would serve
the 'other' goal, which is to obtain the combination.

Looking for details to see if it is a myth, I go he
http://www.masterlock.com/services_and_support/

They have a FAQ with the exact question:
http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostCombinations/

Q: I've forgotten the combination to my standard dial combination lock.
How do I obtain the combination for personal use?

A: A) My lock does not have a serial number:
To provide enhanced long€“term security, Master Lock has discontinued
imprinting a serial number on the lock body on combination locks sold
through retail locations. For greater convenience, we encourage consumers
to store their combination at our secure website, Masterlockvault.com,
which is easy to use and offers 24/7 access. Unfortunately, we are unable
to provide combinations for non€“serialized locks, if the user did not
register with Masterlockvault.com. Please see examples of a serial number
or date code if you are unsure if your lock contains either one.

So, unless I read that answer wrong, it's a myth that you can just box up
your retail-bought combination lock and send it to them.

Or did I read the FAQ wrong?