Posted to uk.d-i-y
James (usenet)

Default Help with filing cabinet lock/key combination

Maybe OT but the random lockpicking groups tend to be full of messages
from American Houdini types and I thought someone on here may be able
to help. Here goes:
Two drawer Triumph brand filing cabinet, grey, protruding metal
handles, probably 1970s (can't be younger than 1980). Key(s) went
missing over 20yrs ago (it's unlocked). I want to be able to lock it!
The lock is roughly square in shape (chrome bezel), located at
top-right, number 12x written upside-down above the keyhole (in
unlocked position). It 'fits' a Lowe & Fletcher 92xxx key (garage
doors!) but no locksmith wants to know as they say 92xxx goes from
92200 to 92400 and tell me to take the lock out and bring it in to
their shop. How would I do that?
I have had the upper drawer out (by lifting it from about 1/4 open
position and taking the weight off the runners), but the lock is
enclosed by a box section across the full width of the front, under the
top of the cabinet. Would I need to drill the pop rivets at the rear
and slide the whole top off it? What about the locking bar that moves
up and down the front right hand side and how it links to the lock
itself?

Simpler: any ideas about a key series if it isn't a FL 92xxx?

Thanks for your time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scabbydug

"James (usenet)" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The key blank sounds like a LF4 or 6R in Silca brand or equivalent in HD
etc.
Most of these locks have a three digit number stamped on them, thats all
thats required if you know the type of key blank.
Not sure what you mean by all these xxx's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look at www.locksonline.co.uk
regards,Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Perkin

"James (usenet)" wrote in
oups.com:

... The lock is roughly square in shape (chrome bezel), located at
top-right, number 12x written upside-down above the keyhole (in
unlocked position). ...

You might try this:
http://www.tradeinpost.com/filingkey.html

If you do, let us know if it works. I have a similar problem!

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.