Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flush trim bit

What is the difference between a flush trim bit and a laminate trimmer bit
that you would use for trimming a laminate countertop sheet edge.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/23/2012 9:37 PM, Roanin wrote:
What is the difference between a flush trim bit and a laminate trimmer bit
that you would use for trimming a laminate countertop sheet edge.

Length/diameter and often trimmers use angle not just straight flush.

Flush trim come in multitudes of sizes and diameters; you only need
short and preferably smaller diameter (chip out is less) for laminate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:41:02 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/23/2012 9:37 PM, Roanin wrote:
What is the difference between a flush trim bit and a laminate trimmer bit
that you would use for trimming a laminate countertop sheet edge.

Length/diameter and often trimmers use angle not just straight flush.

Flush trim come in multitudes of sizes and diameters; you only need
short and preferably smaller diameter (chip out is less) for laminate.

To add on some clarification . . . there are small hand held laminate
trimmers (small router type tool) that use those bits as opposed to a
much larger typical wood working router that uses the "flush trim"
bits
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/24/2012 4:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:41:02 -0500, wrote:

On 7/23/2012 9:37 PM, Roanin wrote:
What is the difference between a flush trim bit and a laminate trimmer bit
that you would use for trimming a laminate countertop sheet edge.

Length/diameter and often trimmers use angle not just straight flush.

Flush trim come in multitudes of sizes and diameters; you only need
short and preferably smaller diameter (chip out is less) for laminate.

To add on some clarification . . . there are small hand held laminate
trimmers (small router type tool) that use those bits as opposed to a
much larger typical wood working router that uses the "flush trim"
bits

But they're usable in any router of the proper collet size...either way.
The laminate trimmer as a specialty tool is somewhat of a newcomer on
the scene.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/24/2012 8:19 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/24/2012 4:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

To add on some clarification . . . there are small hand held laminate
trimmers (small router type tool) that use those bits as opposed to a
much larger typical wood working router that uses the "flush trim"
bits

But they're usable in any router of the proper collet size...either way.
The laminate trimmer as a specialty tool is somewhat of a newcomer on
the scene.

And to add some clarification on the clarification...

I point the latter out because in a home repair group I figure it's far
more likely the average reader has a regular router than a laminate
trimmer at hand...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Reason I was asking, I have some flush trim bits that I was practicing with
on an old countertop that I removed the edge band from. Some of the bits

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roanin wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
On 7/24/2012 8:19 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

A mark from the cutter or the bearing?

If the bearing runs free and is the proper diameter there should not be a
mark from either regardless of the cutting depth if the top and edge are 90
degrees from each other. Best guess is that the angle was less than 90
degrees in which case the bearing would be slightly inboard of the cutter;
in that case, the deeper the cutter was extended, the farther inboard it
would cut. IOW, the bit is probably precise enough but your counter isn't.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/24/2012 8:58 AM, Roanin wrote:

Reason I was asking, I have some flush trim bits that I was practicing with
on an old countertop that I removed the edge band from. Some of the bits
when run on the countertop WITH the edgband still on them left a noticeable
mark on the edgeband. The only way I felt safe was to adjust the cutting
edges to just the size of the laminate. I could tell not difference in the
1" dia. bit and the 3/8" Dia bit. Are you supposed to adjust them so that
the cutter bits are not below the top piece of laminate, or do I not have a
precise enough bit?

If they're properly made and sized, you should be able to trim flush w/o
scoring the bottom material noticeably. (I'm assuming here you're
talking of the cutter not the bearing burning since raising the depth
makes it go away apparently; the bearing would be a problem still, just
relocated.)

That said, if the edge isn't square or your base isn't perfectly square
or you're not holding the router firmly on the counter top, it's
possible you could be causing a problem.

Or, of course, a slightly undersized bearing or lax tolerances on the
grinding of the profile diameter.

Are these known brands or just no-name imports?

As for the diameters, if you didn't get chipping w/ that large a cutter
I'll wager it wasn't Wilsonart or some of the other laminate products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roanin" wrote in
:

What is the difference between a flush trim bit and a laminate trimmer
bit that you would use for trimming a laminate countertop sheet edge.

Thanks,

one has the guide bearing on the end away from the shank,and the other has
the bearing close to the shank.

the bearing-away-from-shank bit is the laminate trim bit.
the other one is for pattern following,since the pattern mounts on top of
the workpiece.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are these known brands or just no-name imports?

They were cheep no name bits I got to practice with. I looked at some name
brand bits tonite at a big box store and they have a little distance between
the bearing and the cutters. I am sure that the cutters are a bit larger
than the bearing. Will get a good quality one before I try the new laminate
trimming.

As for the diameters, if you didn't get chipping w/ that large a cutter
I'll wager it wasn't Wilsonart or some of the other laminate products.

Not sure it is old stuff and looked like formica to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/24/2012 10:33 PM, Roanin wrote:

As for the diameters, if you didn't get chipping w/ that large a cutter
I'll wager it wasn't Wilsonart or some of the other laminate products.

Not sure it is old stuff and looked like formica to me.

Superficially Wilsonart will/does look like Formica--it's much more
brittle, however...