Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to find a flush trim bit with a thin bearing?

The wife wants glass in the kitchen cabinet F&P doors.
I removed the panels with no problem but now I can't
find a flush trim bit with a bearing narrow enough to go
in the groove formerly occupied by the panel. I really
don't want to do the pattern bit and guide method as
the doors have a cathedral top.

Anyone know where I can find a FT bit with a bearing
that will fit a 1/4" groove? This seems like it would be a
common need so I'm hoping someone makes one.

I already DAGS so there is no need to flog that horse.

Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:

| The wife wants glass in the kitchen cabinet F&P doors.
| I removed the panels with no problem but now I can't
| find a flush trim bit with a bearing narrow enough to go
| in the groove formerly occupied by the panel. I really
| don't want to do the pattern bit and guide method as
| the doors have a cathedral top.
|
| Anyone know where I can find a FT bit with a bearing
| that will fit a 1/4" groove? This seems like it would be a
| common need so I'm hoping someone makes one.
|
| I already DAGS so there is no need to flog that horse.

If you don't turn up the bit you want, then you might consider using a
bit with a bearing smaller in diameter than the cutter by the amount
of stock you want to remove - and letting the bearing ride the front
profile...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

| If you don't turn up the bit you want, then you might consider
| using a bit with a bearing smaller in diameter than the cutter by
| the amount of stock you want to remove - and letting the bearing
| ride the front profile...

Hmm. I think I meant to say "radius" rather than "diameter".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought of that but I'd need a rabbet bit which could cut
to a depth(width?) of 5/8" and I don't have one nor could
I find one locally.
Art

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Artemus wrote:

| The wife wants glass in the kitchen cabinet F&P doors.
| I removed the panels with no problem but now I can't
| find a flush trim bit with a bearing narrow enough to go
| in the groove formerly occupied by the panel. I really
| don't want to do the pattern bit and guide method as
| the doors have a cathedral top.
|
| Anyone know where I can find a FT bit with a bearing
| that will fit a 1/4" groove? This seems like it would be a
| common need so I'm hoping someone makes one.
|
| I already DAGS so there is no need to flog that horse.

If you don't turn up the bit you want, then you might consider using a
bit with a bearing smaller in diameter than the cutter by the amount
of stock you want to remove - and letting the bearing ride the front
profile...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a thought
Instead of searching for a bit, why not search for a bearing from a ball
bearing company or machinery supply catalog.
That way you can get a bearing with the specs that you need to attach to
your bit.

"Artemus" wrote in message
. ..
The wife wants glass in the kitchen cabinet F&P doors.
I removed the panels with no problem but now I can't
find a flush trim bit with a bearing narrow enough to go
in the groove formerly occupied by the panel. I really
don't want to do the pattern bit and guide method as
the doors have a cathedral top.

Anyone know where I can find a FT bit with a bearing
that will fit a 1/4" groove? This seems like it would be a
common need so I'm hoping someone makes one.

I already DAGS so there is no need to flog that horse.

Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:
I thought of that but I'd need a rabbet bit which could cut
to a depth(width?) of 5/8" and I don't have one nor could
I find one locally.
Art

Your slot is 1/4 x 5/8? Deep slot. *REALLY* deep slot. And each
tongue is 1/4 x 5/8?

Trouble is, the flush trimming bit won't work either even if you find
a bearing to fit in the slot. It won't work because it won't cut all
the way to the bearing and you'll be left with an uncut area above the
bearing. Not to mention the problem of the shaft below the bearing
hitting the other tongue and keeping that skinny bearing from even
*entering* the groove. Solve those and you are still faced with the
necessity of a flush trimming bit having to take out 5/8" of
wood...not a pretty picture.

The only bearing guided bit I can think of that will cut that deep is
a slot cutter. And many of those just do 1/2" deep. You'd need one
with a removeable cutter and which comes with bushings to adjust the
position of the cutter on the shaft. If you find one, the bearing
would be riding on the lower tongue.

If it were me I'd be reminding the wife how much grease and grime
accumumulates on glass and how hard it is to clean.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Artemus wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:55:57 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote:

The wife wants glass in the kitchen cabinet F&P doors.
I removed the panels with no problem but now I can't
find a flush trim bit with a bearing narrow enough to go
in the groove formerly occupied by the panel. I really
don't want to do the pattern bit and guide method as
the doors have a cathedral top.

Have you looked at standard laminate trim bit without a bearing?
Here's a bit that might work. It does not use a bearing but does have
a pilot. It's a little hard to tell the actual height of the pilot
but you might be able to call and ask.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=8080

How many doors do you have to clean up?
We've done this on occasion but with only one or two doors.
Normally there is so little material behind the panels that on your
straight sides you can score the back and pretty much snap the pieces
off. A little chisel work where the stiles run past the rails is
about all that's needed. Since you have arched tops the arch might
be a little tricky but I would think a chisel would still get you
there. Of course if I had more than a couple of doors to do I would
be looking for a bit too.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Your slot is 1/4 x 5/8? Deep slot. *REALLY* deep slot. And each
tongue is 1/4 x 5/8?

The slots are really 5/8" deep and the tongues fit in ~3/8". There were
1/4" spacer balls in the bottom of the grooves on all 4 sides

snip

If it were me I'd be reminding the wife how much grease and grime
accumumulates on glass and how hard it is to clean.

That's a good one!

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike O." wrote in message

Have you looked at standard laminate trim bit without a bearing?
Here's a bit that might work. It does not use a bearing but does have
a pilot. It's a little hard to tell the actual height of the pilot
but you might be able to call and ask.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=8080

Excellent suggestion! The tip looks like it is shorter than 1/4" and should
fit in the slot.

How many doors do you have to clean up?

6.
The first one is partly done. I used a pattern bit and a guide rail to
get close, then rabbet planes and chisels to complete the sides and bottom.
Your suggested bit will make this a lot easier. I'm thinking of squaring up
the top arch on the inside as it will make the glass rectangular and maybe
less expensive. I need to check with the glass shop tomorrow.
In any event you've pointed me at what I needed. Thanks.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

amana makes one. I just bought a 1/4" flush trim but. it looks like
about 3/4" cut on it but I have not measured it.
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/47090.html looks like 1" cost me
19.99