Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only?

please excuse my relative newbieness.

Could you use a flush trim bit to cut directly through a material,.or are
they for just trimming off a little from one edge of the cutter only. I'm
back to thinking of how to cut the 1-3/8" hollow-core 6-panel textures
masonite doors again, now that I have them. They'd have an end, say 1" of
(soft?) wood, then the two faces of the textured panel, some cardboard
possibly, then another end, say 1" of wood. If I got a bit w/ 1-3/8" depth
of cutter, could I use that against a straightedge. One problem I could
think of is wander. If I were (or even could), would an end bearing or top
bearing be best?

I have had to re-read the answers to my previous post, now I've had time,
and I'm still absorbing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"bent" wrote in message
Could you use a flush trim bit to cut directly through a material,.or are
they for just trimming off a little from one edge of the cutter only. I'm
back to thinking of how to cut the 1-3/8" hollow-core 6-panel textures
masonite doors again, now that I have them.

Assuming it's a trim bit with a bearing, you can plow through *only* if the
bearing is not riding on anything as you're cutting. If the bearing is
riding on an edge, it can only be used for trimming flush.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

you're cereal?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

as seen on that's incredible?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Upscale" wrote in message
"bent" wrote in message
Could you use a flush trim bit to cut directly through a material,.or are
they for just trimming off a little from one edge of the cutter only.
I'm
back to thinking of how to cut the 1-3/8" hollow-core 6-panel textures
masonite doors again, now that I have them.

Assuming it's a trim bit with a bearing, you can plow through *only* if
the
bearing is not riding on anything as you're cutting. If the bearing is
riding on an edge, it can only be used for trimming flush.

And if the bearing is on the bottom, it'll only burn.

Use a collar and a straight bit. Spiral for better cutting. The collar
follows your pattern, and where thick is a problem, can form the bearing
surface for a flush-trimming bit used from the opposite face.

Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 115 November 17th 03 07:56 PM
Edge gluing boards Sammy Woodworking 17 October 12th 03 05:54 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Die Spammer !!!!! Woodworking 20 July 26th 03 02:35 PM