Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deadbolt Inner Knob Guard

I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.

I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.

I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.

Does the inside knob come off? If so, you might remove it while you are
on vacation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:32:11 PM UTC-4, Ken wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
> I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.
>
> I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.

Does the inside knob come off? If so, you might remove it while you are
on vacation.

Good idea, as long as the inside knob isn't holding the whole thing together. I'll check that out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 12:16*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.

I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.

Since you are attempting to prevent a break-in via this one means -
the turning of the dead bolt knob - have you looked at every other
possible entry point and dealt with them also?

Windows, side doors, garage doors, etc.

If not, then if the burgler can't get in through this door because
you've secured the dead bolt, (s)he'll just move on to an entry with
easier access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen one that would.

You may need to buy a cheap double cylinder deadbolt, and put it on while
you are on vacation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pavel314" wrote in message news:ac1481f4-5904-4fe0-b575-

Does the inside knob come off? If so, you might remove it while you are
on vacation.

Good idea, as long as the inside knob isn't holding the whole thing
together. I'll check that out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 11:16*am, Pavel314 wrote:
I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.

I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.

I've seen deadbolts where the inside knob was replaced by a key. You
leave the key in the deadbolt at all times so you can get out if
needed, except you remove the jay when you are concerned about the
type of break-ins you described.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
[...]

*****

I have keyed both sides deadbolts throughout my house. I figure they can
break the window, but would have to carry out the loot through a broken
window somewhere.

When I was in the welding business, I would buy a special keyed lockset. It
was a passage knob set keyed on both sides, and was called "institutional"
because in some institutions, they want access to pass through the door to
be controlled on both sides. They were used on pool gates so that renters
had to use a key to get in or out. It kept one kid from climbing over the
fence, and then opening the gate for the rest. They also had to climb out
as well as in. These institutional keysets are available on special order,
and can be had from locksmiths, but because they are usually used in a
professional setting, they are very high quality, and high price. Like $100
per copy.

After having a lot of experience building security systems for people, and
testing the degree of efficiency, I can offer the following advice:

You cannot protect yourself from a pro. They will be in and out, and
probably won't even break a glass. If you have an alarm system, those are
easily defeated. If it is a high end burglar, they will know what they are
after, probably after seeing you wear it (mostly jewelry) in public places.
They will surveille you and know your routine, as well as everyone in the
house. They will spend less than five minutes in your home.

If they are a semi-pro, they will hit you at your weakest point. A faulty
window latch, a rear window with a big bush hiding it, or by just bump
keying the door, (google it, it's scary) or using a picklock set. I do
security evaluations for HOAs, focusing on finding weak points. It takes me
less than two minutes to pick most locks. Some can be done with a slim Jim,
or even a credit card. Others with just a hard kick. Degree of difficulty
goes up with the quality of the system. At times, they fail to give us keys
to access the pump houses, etc, and I carry a set of tools. Haven't been
defeated yet.

I would not waste time with some little cover for your lock. Besides, you
might want to get out fast in case of a fire. So, if you do go with a keyed
both sides lock, either have all the locks keyed alike, or have a key in a
hiding place near the door. I love the new Kwikset SmartKey lockset where
you can rekey with just the shim key in less than thirty seconds. Make all
the keys in the house the same key, and change it at whim on all of them in
minutes.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 12:16*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I've googled around but couldn't find what I wanted so I though somebody here might know the answer. My front door has a single-tumbler deadbolt, that is, with just a knob inside for unlocking it. I'd like to get some sort of guard to slip over the knob when I go on vacation so that someone can't just break the glass in the small window, reach through and open the door.

I know, a double-tumbler lock would be better but I just wondered if somebody has invented a metal cage gizmo that clips over the edge of the door and prevents turning the deadbolt knob. Or maybe a double cover where the inner part snaps onto the knob while the outer shell turns independently, so that reaching in and turning it won't move the knob.

With most residential grade deadbolt locks, what you want
to do is not possible as if you make the inside thumb turn
unable to move you would not be able to lock the door on
the outside using the key because the turn knob is an
integral part of the lock and the tailpiece from the cylinder
is directly connected through the locks bolt into the
shaft of the turn knob...

If you worry about people burglarizing your home when
you are away, either invite someone you know and trust
to house sit for you or install a monitored alarm system...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 4:27*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

Yes, "institutional function" lock sets are expensive, they are
also very very dangerous to install in buildings which are not
equipped with fire sprinkler systems...

I like how people say that it is just fine to install double
cylinder locks in their homes as they will always leave
a key on the inside of the door when they are home and
only remove it when they are away on vacation...

In a panic situation people have been known to turn things
hard enough to break them, double cylinder locks also
can lock you in when you may want to be able to leave
at other times, like if you come home and lock the door
behind you and put your keys down -- if you walk into a
burglary you may find that you are unable to reach your
keys to escape...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 5:04*am, Evan wrote:
On Jul 17, 4:27*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

[...]

keys to escape...- Hide quoted text -

Deal with it like I do...

Don't have anything worth stealing.

Deadbolt for old door David Nebenzahl Home Repair 35 December 19th 14 04:33 AM
optical knob encoder: HP/Agilent 33120A freq generator, tuning-knob failure Winfield Hill Electronics Repair 27 August 15th 11 10:19 AM
Remove Deadbolt Bob Simon Home Repair 2 March 22nd 08 07:30 PM
deadbolt Patt Home Repair 10 March 14th 07 11:01 PM
Baldwin DBL Deadbolt???? cm Home Repair 5 August 5th 04 06:12 PM