Posted to alt.home.repair

Default deadbolt

I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Patt" wrote in message
I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give
me some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template.
I was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

If you can do one without a template, you need to buy a Lotto ticket.
Chances of getting it right are pretty slim.

Buy a guide. You will use it about once every 2.7 years, but when you need
one, you'll be glad you got one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:56:12 GMT, "Patt" wrote:

I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

practice practice practice.

Get a piece of wood that mimics your door and instll it until you get
it right, then do the same on the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patt wrote:
I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.

Go to the lockmaker's website and see if a printable template is available
online.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:56:12 GMT, "Patt" wrote:

I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give
me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

Look at the manufacturer's web site. They may have the template in the
installation instructions as a downloadable file.

You can try measuring from the center of the actuator hole in the bolt
to the face of the plate to get the setback and use the cylinder to
figure out what the hole size is.

How are you going to know that the downloaded and printed image is to scale?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 11:56 pm, "Patt" wrote:
I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

sometimes the problem is all in the jamb: not every lock style can go
on every door without lots of work.
buffalo ny: there are two common setbacks for the larger hole, one
residential, one more common to commercial and fire rated doors.
noting your .ca email i will defer to your metric version of these.
if you have a modern locking doorknob of similar size, does the new
lock fit it and lock properly? if so, the existing door holes can be
the dimension references you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In 1985, I learned the basics of installing deadbolts, working
for a locksmith company. I really doubt that you'll be able to
learn it over the internet unless you've got a LOT of carpentry
skill already.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Patt" wrote in message
: I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide.
Can you give me
: some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the
template. I
: was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
: Patt
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jackson" wrote in message

How are you going to know that the downloaded and printed image is to
scale?

Use a ruler. If the image shows a 2 1/4" hole, you measure the drawing and
if it is 2 1/4", you are good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Patt" wrote in message
I want to install a deadbolt lock. It has no template guide. Can you give

me
some pointers on how to configure the hole making without the template. I
was given the lock, thus no instructions etc.
Patt

There are several standards. The most common standard is a 2 1/8 inch hole
to be drilled 2 3/8 inches from the edge of the door, and the hole on the
edge of the door is usually 1 inch.

It is important to measure the distance from the high side of the door
bevel.

This is also the standard that most knob sets use so the simple way to check
is to remove your door knob, and see if the deadbolt will fit into the
holes.

If you have a thin door, (1 3/8) and the lock is suitable, I like to drill
the edge hole only 7/8" leaving a little more wood. This usually works if
the diameter of the body of the bolt is 7/8". On the heavier grades the
bolt body can be 1", so you might want to drill 1" to be sure.

On some locks part of the bolt mechanism is a little over 7/8" while the
body is only 7/8. If this is the case, I use a rasp to notch the top and
bottom of the hole. This leaves me with the maximum amount of wood where it
will do the most good.

The most critical thing in installing a dead bolt is to drill the holes
properly. If you get these cocked the lock may work but it imparts stresses
on key parts that it was not designed for and your lock will suffer a
premature and sudden failure.

Everything should work smooth when all the screws are snug, if not you have
a problem that will kill your lock.

When installing the strike plate, if you ask your wife for a little lipstick
you can paint the end of the bolt and "kiss" the door jam. This will leave
a mark where the hole needs to be.

Again let me stress that with the door closed and latched, when you extend
the bolt nothing should rub. If it does you will kill your lock.

I have been a locksmith since 1977, and I have seen a whole lot of failures.
The ones installed correctly last a long time.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:56:52 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jackson" wrote in message

How are you going to know that the downloaded and printed image is to
scale?

Use a ruler. If the image shows a 2 1/4" hole, you measure the drawing and
if it is 2 1/4", you are good to go.

Given no template I would try a small combination square and #2
pencil. Remove the existing handle and transcribe (duplicate) the
measurements up for the deadbolt and latch. Assuming the requirements
are the same.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Replacing a door knob with a deadbolt doesn't give you anything
ot hold, to open or close the door. An interesting diagnostic,
but not much more than that.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
: On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:46:06 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
: wrote:
:
: This is also the standard that most knob sets use so the
simple way to check
: is to remove your door knob, and see if the deadbolt will fit
into the
: holes.
:
: