Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mobile generator project

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for
family, friends, or customers, that will do all the basic necessities
for an extended period of time, without having to store and rotate a
pile of jerry jugs of gasoline. I wanted something easily transportable
as well. I decided the best available solution was a stripped down light
tower. After a few months of scoping Ebay, I found this Magnum MLT-3060.
It's a 2004 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi L3E diesel, and only 525 hours
on it.It has a 6KW Marathon pancake generator, and a 30 gallon diesel
tank, so at full load it'' run for around three days. It was owned by
the city of NY, bridges and tunnels authority, and unfortunately, I
think it spent it's life sitting in a tunnel, with water dripping on it,
so it had way more rust than a machine of it's vintage should. Here are
some pix of my clean up/conversion project:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091189...eat=directlink
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote in
Re Mobile generator project:

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for
family, friends, or customers, that will do all the basic necessities
for an extended period of time, without having to store and rotate a
pile of jerry jugs of gasoline. I wanted something easily transportable
as well. I decided the best available solution was a stripped down light
tower. After a few months of scoping Ebay, I found this Magnum MLT-3060.
It's a 2004 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi L3E diesel,

While diesel is easier to store than gasoline, it's doesn't have an
very long storage life. According to

http://theepicenter.com/tow021799.html

it's 3 to 6 months. I would give it a year in a closed container with
a stabilizer added.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

[...]

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091189...agnumGenerator

Nice. Good way to get a quality generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote:

Here are
some pix of my clean up/conversion project:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091189...eat=directlink

Nice job. Was it you that refurbished a log splitter one time
(mounted on a Bobcat)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CRNG" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote in
Re Mobile generator project:

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for
family, friends, or customers, that will do all the basic necessities
for an extended period of time, without having to store and rotate a
pile of jerry jugs of gasoline. I wanted something easily transportable
as well. I decided the best available solution was a stripped down light
tower. After a few months of scoping Ebay, I found this Magnum MLT-3060.
It's a 2004 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi L3E diesel,

While diesel is easier to store than gasoline, it's doesn't have an
very long storage life. According to

http://theepicenter.com/tow021799.html

it's 3 to 6 months. I would give it a year in a closed container with
a stabilizer added.

Yes, it's the fuel storage problem that's bothered me too. What about a
natural gas powered generator -- anybody had experience with those for
emergency home use?

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2012 1:09 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote in
Re Mobile generator project:

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for
family, friends, or customers, that will do all the basic necessities
for an extended period of time, without having to store and rotate a
pile of jerry jugs of gasoline. I wanted something easily transportable
as well. I decided the best available solution was a stripped down light
tower. After a few months of scoping Ebay, I found this Magnum MLT-3060.
It's a 2004 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi L3E diesel,

While diesel is easier to store than gasoline, it's doesn't have an
very long storage life. According to

http://theepicenter.com/tow021799.html

it's 3 to 6 months. I would give it a year in a closed container with
a stabilizer added.

That must be some crappy diesel to begin with.Most sites I've read say
it's good for around 2 years with stabilizer. Even gasoline will go for
a year with stabilizer. In any event, I wouldn't keep it in the tank
more than a year. It will get pumped into a 55 gallon drum, which is
used to fuel other regularly used diesel equipment

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2012 2:30 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote:

Here are
some pix of my clean up/conversion project:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091189...eat=directlink

Nice job. Was it you that refurbished a log splitter one time
(mounted on a Bobcat)?

Yeah, that was after I refurbished the skid steer. Obviously I have too
much spare time. (lol)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/12 12:09 PM, CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, wrote in
Re Mobile generator project:

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for
family, friends, or customers, that will do all the basic necessities
for an extended period of time, without having to store and rotate a
pile of jerry jugs of gasoline. I wanted something easily transportable
as well. I decided the best available solution was a stripped down light
tower. After a few months of scoping Ebay, I found this Magnum MLT-3060.
It's a 2004 with a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi L3E diesel,

While diesel is easier to store than gasoline, it's doesn't have an
very long storage life. According to

http://theepicenter.com/tow021799.html

it's 3 to 6 months. I would give it a year in a closed container with
a stabilizer added.

Farmers in my area use diesel for most everything. Many irrigation
engines are diesel with 1000 gallon tanks next to them. They might not
run much, if at all, for months at a time. They seem to do ok. A
dead battery is probably the most common problem.
The tanks do have fuel filters mounted on them in addition to the ones
on the engines themselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* * Farmers in my area use diesel for most everything. *Many irrigation
engines are diesel with 1000 gallon tanks next to them. *They might not
run much, if at all, *for months at a time. *They seem to do ok. * A
dead battery is probably the most common problem.
* *The tanks do have fuel filters mounted on them in addition to the ones
on the engines themselves.- Hide quoted text -

Water condenses in large fuel tanks, not to mention there is some
water, in suspension, in petroleum products. Those larger tanks will
have a drain valve at the bottom, for draining the water. Similarly
as an air compressor tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomsic" wrote:
"CRNG" wrote in message
[...]

That's what is installed around here.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2012 9:34 PM, Sonny wrote:

Farmers in my area use diesel for most everything. Many irrigation
engines are diesel with 1000 gallon tanks next to them. They might not
run much, if at all, for months at a time. They seem to do ok. A
dead battery is probably the most common problem.
The tanks do have fuel filters mounted on them in addition to the ones
on the engines themselves.- Hide quoted text -

Water condenses in large fuel tanks, not to mention there is some
water, in suspension, in petroleum products. Those larger tanks will
have a drain valve at the bottom, for draining the water. Similarly
as an air compressor tank.

The diesel engine on the generator has a fuel filter with a water
separator as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:45:39 -0400, RBM wrote:

Wanted a basic, durable, low wattage, long run time generator for

https://picasaweb.google.com/1091189...gnumGenerator?

authuser=0&feat=directlink

Very nice cosmetic restoration.

How much did you pay for the rig?

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:44:16 -0400, RBM wrote in

On 7/15/2012 1:09 PM, CRNG wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that 3 to 6 months seemed very short to me. Your plan above
looks good to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Nice job Roy. I've thought about doing something similar myself, but just
don't have a lot of spare time lately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2012 10:06 AM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

Hopefully John, that means you're too busy doing electrical work

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Yes electrical work has been good to me, but I have also been spending more
time writing scripts for instructional videos to eventually be shown on my
web site http://www.MrElectrician.tv in addition to written articles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/12 8:34 PM, Sonny wrote:

Farmers in my area use diesel for most everything. Many irrigation
engines are diesel with 1000 gallon tanks next to them. They might not
run much, if at all, for months at a time. They seem to do ok. A
dead battery is probably the most common problem.
The tanks do have fuel filters mounted on them in addition to the ones
on the engines themselves.- Hide quoted text -

Water condenses in large fuel tanks, not to mention there is some
water, in suspension, in petroleum products. Those larger tanks will
have a drain valve at the bottom, for draining the water. Similarly
as an air compressor tank.

The tanks I see look much like this: http://tiny.cc/e2pihw
The fuel is taken from what is supposedly the drain at the end of the
tank. There is a hand valve, a bit of plumbing, then some type of
filter. A 3/8: hose usually goes from the tank filter to the power
unit. It has filters also.
Racor is one company that makes a water/fuel separator. I'd expect
to see some on the tanks if water contamination was a problem. I
don't remember seeing any off hand.
The tanks sit out in the fields without any protection from the
weather. They sit on the ground or maybe on some blocks or old railroad
ties.
That type of set up should logically be causing problems but
apparently doesn't.