Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Connections for a 2-Speed Motor

I have a 2-speed shaded-pole motor that was scrapped by someone else
from a Sears dehimidifier, Leads are Red, Orange(sort of) and Black.
The motor is an OH SUNG Model 4681A20040J. I can cross-reference that
number to both a Sears and an LG replacement motor. Neither offers
any clues as to the correct wiring for the motor. Measuring the
resistance between the three wires does not give any clues. Does
anyone have a knowledge of what is the "normal" color coding for this
type of motor? I can connect the motor in series with a regular
household iron acting as a "fuse", but would prefer to have the
correct information and save the experimentation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 4:18*pm, Jack wrote:
On 7/1/2012 3:54 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I can connect the motor in series with a regular
household iron acting as a "fuse", but would prefer to have the
correct information and save the experimentation.

My *guess* is the black is high, red is low and the orange is common.

I connected the orange and black leads to 120V motor came up to speed
just fine. Left connected and measured 0.8v between the black and red
leads. Then connected red lead in place of black lead, motor ran at
the same speed as before, measured 0.4v between the red and black
leads. When orange-black connected to pwer lines, then added red lead
to black lead, not a hint of motor speed change. I have not tried
powering the motor between the red and black leads, too afraid that
might blow the whole motor. I will do/try that with an electric iron
in series to act as a fuse after daylight on Monday.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-703037-.htm
DA wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

I connected the orange and black leads to 120V motor came up to speed
just fine. Left connected and measured 0.8v between the black and red
leads. Then connected red lead in place of black lead, motor ran at
the same speed as before, measured 0.4v between the red and black
leads. When orange-black connected to pwer lines, then added red lead
to black lead, not a hint of motor speed change. I have not tried
powering the motor between the red and black leads, too afraid that
might blow the whole motor. I will do/try that with an electric iron
in series to act as a fuse after daylight on Monday.

These C-frame 2-speed shaded pole motors will run at (virtually) the same
speed without a load. I betcha you have already seen it work at both
speeds, it just did not make much of a difference turning just the rotor
by itself. You have to add at least *some* resistance to the rotor's
rotation to feel the difference. If you still have it, mount the original
fan blades onto the shaft and then give it a go.

Sounds like black-red is the slow, black-orange is the high speed. These
are not dual-speed per se, these are dual-power. The higher speed is just
a tap at an intermediate point on the coil with fewer turn, hence lower
resistance and higher current/power/rotation speed.

Do not connect both red and orange at the same time, it'll overheat the
winding and further reduce efficiency of this already not very efficient
type motor. The unused end is supposed to be just isolated.

-------------------------------------
/_/
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 9:37*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 1, 4:18*pm, Jack wrote:

On 7/1/2012 3:54 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I can connect the motor in series with a regular
household iron acting as a "fuse", but would prefer to have the
correct information and save the experimentation.

My *guess* is the black is high, red is low and the orange is common.

I connected the orange and black leads to 120V *motor came up to speed
just fine. *Left connected and measured 0.8v between the black and red
leads. *Then connected red lead in place of black lead, motor ran at
the same speed as before, measured 0.4v between the red and black
leads. *When orange-black connected to pwer lines, then added red lead
to black lead, not a hint of motor speed change. *I have not tried
powering the motor between the red and black leads, too afraid that
might blow the whole motor. *I will do/try that with an electric iron
in series to act as a fuse after daylight on Monday.

Black-Red did cause sparks, so Orange is the common lead, and orange -
red is one speed, orange - black is the other speed. That's all I
need to write on the motor when I throw (gently) the motor into my
spare motor collection. I can worry about which is the lower and
higher speeds when I need a motor of that size. Thanks for
suggestions received.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hr(bob) hofmann, randman wrote:
Did you ever find a use for the motor?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-703037-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hr(bob) hofmann, othello7 wrote:
Mine blew when I used black and red.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-703037-.htm