Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Connections for a 2-Speed Motor

On Jul 1, 9:37*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jul 1, 4:18*pm, Jack wrote:

On 7/1/2012 3:54 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I can connect the motor in series with a regular
household iron acting as a "fuse", but would prefer to have the
correct information and save the experimentation.

My *guess* is the black is high, red is low and the orange is common.

I connected the orange and black leads to 120V *motor came up to speed
just fine. *Left connected and measured 0.8v between the black and red
leads. *Then connected red lead in place of black lead, motor ran at
the same speed as before, measured 0.4v between the red and black
leads. *When orange-black connected to pwer lines, then added red lead
to black lead, not a hint of motor speed change. *I have not tried
powering the motor between the red and black leads, too afraid that
might blow the whole motor. *I will do/try that with an electric iron
in series to act as a fuse after daylight on Monday.

Black-Red did cause sparks, so Orange is the common lead, and orange -
red is one speed, orange - black is the other speed. That's all I
need to write on the motor when I throw (gently) the motor into my
spare motor collection. I can worry about which is the lower and
higher speeds when I need a motor of that size. Thanks for
suggestions received.