Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Connections for a 2-Speed Motor

On Jul 1, 4:18*pm, Jack wrote:
On 7/1/2012 3:54 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I can connect the motor in series with a regular
household iron acting as a "fuse", but would prefer to have the
correct information and save the experimentation.

My *guess* is the black is high, red is low and the orange is common.

I connected the orange and black leads to 120V motor came up to speed
just fine. Left connected and measured 0.8v between the black and red
leads. Then connected red lead in place of black lead, motor ran at
the same speed as before, measured 0.4v between the red and black
leads. When orange-black connected to pwer lines, then added red lead
to black lead, not a hint of motor speed change. I have not tried
powering the motor between the red and black leads, too afraid that
might blow the whole motor. I will do/try that with an electric iron
in series to act as a fuse after daylight on Monday.