Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery question

There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. *It was
driven into place about three years ago. *Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. *Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? *Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

I don't see why you'd need 3 batteries just to start it
and take it to a junk yard. I would think only 1 would be
required for starting and the other 2 would be deep
discharge type to run 12V loads when the RV is parked
and the motor off.

Very unlikely you're going to revive a 3 year old battery
that's just been sitting there and allowed to go dry.
When they sit discharged, they sulfate and go kaput.
Could you temporarily use a battery out of another
vehicle? Or take an old one that's near replacement
time from another vehicle and put a new battery in
that one? Another possibility would be if there is a
nearby junk yard that would sell a used battery for
$20.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 8:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. *It was
driven into place about three years ago. *Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. *Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? *Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

You don't need new electrolyte, what has dried out is H2O and that's
what you should use as replacement fluid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2012 6:34 PM, Steve B wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

Ordinarily, the acid doesn't evaporate...just the water. Conventional
wisdom is, "never add acid to a battery."
I'd remove them. Add water. Wait a few days for things to
diffuse around before trying to recharge.

Chance of recovery is slim and none, but the cost of the experiment
is low.

I'd replace the cranking battery and make sure the thing runs.
Remove the other two, verify that you won't blow up all the lights
because of the way the charging circuit is implemented.
Sometimes, you can put a jumper from the cranking battery
to the rest of the system. Don't just short one of the isolation
diodes, hook the cathode sides together.
And verify what you're doing so you don't blow stuff up.
They're not always wired the way you'd think reasonable.

Don't try to jump start it with the bad batteries.
You never know what the open-circuit alternator
voltage will do to the electronics the instant you remove
the jumper cables.

And don't try to run the microwave from an inverter when
using just the cranking battery. Wiring is often sized by
the charge current, not the maximum discharge current.

Negotiate the price based on whether you replace the other two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:34 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Get rid of, by selling, or junk ? Above good advice.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote

[...]

There was a jumper from the starter battery to the first battery of two, in
what I consider would have been "house power" battery pair. The second
battery has about four leads to each terminal, the third, only two.

This was an old family friend. Three years ago, he came to live with us
when they diagnosed him as terminal. He lived with us a year to the day of
move in. No one has taken the initiative to dispose of the motor home,
probably for sentimental reasons, and I did not say a thing. Then, finally,
they want to get rid of it, and guess who gets to take care of it? Yep.

No biggy, as he was a dear friend, and quite a gentleman and character.

Time to move on.

Think I'm going to take an older but good battery from my boat, just to get
it running, and sell it as is, and get a new battery for the boat. I'll
have a friend of mine look at it, and if it's solid electrically, I'll
replace the other two. It's easier to sell when it's running right.

It's a Bounder, and if I didn't have so much going on, I'd keep it and bring
it up to snuff. I like motor homes, it's just that whenever you want to go
somewhere, there's always something that has rotted, or the mice ate, or
that shorted, or failed, or, or, or .......... I loved the lifestyle and
traveling in them, they are just a LOT of work. I had a 34' diesel pusher.

I don't know if I'd ever have another even if I hit the Lotto. I like
Kauai, Alice Springs, and San Jose Cabo too much. And there's no getting
greasy or towed in.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 8:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. *It was
driven into place about three years ago. *Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. *Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? *Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

It should only take one battery to start it. The others are probably
there to run the 12 accessory systems (lights, pumps, radio etc).

If it is just going to the salvage yard can you pull a battery out of
an existing vehicle to get it there.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2012 8:34 PM, Steve B wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker
Junior Member

Location: Kent, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_13_] View Post
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve
One trick I've used before is to refill with water, as hr bob mentioned, then charge at a high rate then discharge at a high rate. Do this 2 or 3 times & the battery may be revived enough to start the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Be careful if you try to jump start. Dead batteries in similar
circumstances have been known to explode.

If you want to donate it put an avert on Craig or freecycle.org were is as
is.

Some charties will pay a tow company to haul it off and you can get a tax
deduction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker

It was 105 yesterday. But during the winter months, it does get down below
freezing ..............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2012 8:27 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker

It was 105 yesterday. But during the winter months, it does get down below
freezing ..............

when they freeze, the plates tend to get bent into one another and short
one or more cells.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:05:42 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 6/26/2012 8:27 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker

It was 105 yesterday. But during the winter months, it does get down below
freezing ..............

when they freeze, the plates tend to get bent into one another and short
one or more cells.

And if they are dead and dry for even a few months they are SHOT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/26/2012 8:27 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker

It was 105 yesterday. But during the winter months, it does get down below
freezing ..............

when they freeze, the plates tend to get bent into one another and short
one or more cells.

And if they are dead and dry for even a few months they are SHOT.

Most time they would have at least, less capacity. If a battery can be
charged with a high enough voltage to overcome high impedance, they can
sometimes be brought back to life, charging it for days, or over a week,
out of the vehicle.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:23:56 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

On 6/26/2012 8:27 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote

if you have freezing weather, then they're shot.

--
Steve Barker

It was 105 yesterday. But during the winter months, it does get down below
freezing ..............

when they freeze, the plates tend to get bent into one another and short
one or more cells.

And if they are dead and dry for even a few months they are SHOT.

Most time they would have at least, less capacity. If a battery can be
charged with a high enough voltage to overcome high impedance, they can
sometimes be brought back to life, charging it for days, or over a week,
out of the vehicle.

Greg

I've been a mechanic since 1969, and I have NEVER seen an automotive
SLI battery that was left dry and discharged for a few months EVER
come back well enough to start an engine, no matter how hard it was
charged. Fancy desulfating circuits can sometimes get some capacity
back, but the output is always significantly reduced - to the point it
would never crank a big V8.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In some parts of the country, the mineral content of tap water will kill
batteries. It's a good idea to go buy distilled water, at the store, for
auto battery top off. The buck a gallon or so is worth it, not to risk
killing a $75 battery.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

H2O Yes but the water you use must not had contact with metal source
rain water accumulated on plastic sheets would be Ideal. good luck!

SAY WHAT?!?! I've been filling them with tap water for decades.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 10:10*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/26/2012 8:55 PM, Grumpy wrote:

"hr(bob) *wrote in message
On Jun 25, 8:34 pm, "Steve *wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

You don't need new electrolyte, what has dried out is H2O and that's
what you should use as replacement fluid.

H2O Yes but the water you use must not had contact with metal source
rain water accumulated on plastic sheets would be Ideal. good luck!

SAY WHAT?!?! *I've been filling them with tap water for decades.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

You must live in an area with very low mineral content in your water.
Distilled water is the best as it is (supposedly) pure water with
nothing else dissolved in it. Anything dissolved in the water will
upset the battery chemistry.

Car battery question Mike Lane[_2_] UK diy 34 January 18th 12 12:12 PM
Battery question SteveB Metalworking 24 October 10th 08 11:49 PM
Battery question SteveB[_5_] Metalworking 48 March 18th 08 06:46 PM
Battery question! Eric Electronics Repair 7 January 7th 05 05:41 PM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM