Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Battery question

On 6/25/2012 8:41 PM, wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:34 pm, "Steve wrote:
There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was
driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill
with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new
batteries........ three of them.

Steve

I don't see why you'd need 3 batteries just to start it
and take it to a junk yard. I would think only 1 would be
required for starting and the other 2 would be deep
discharge type to run 12V loads when the RV is parked
and the motor off.

Very unlikely you're going to revive a 3 year old battery
that's just been sitting there and allowed to go dry.
When they sit discharged, they sulfate and go kaput.
Could you temporarily use a battery out of another
vehicle? Or take an old one that's near replacement
time from another vehicle and put a new battery in
that one? Another possibility would be if there is a
nearby junk yard that would sell a used battery for
$20.

hell, just jump start it and go.

--
Steve Barker