Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to wire sewing machine foot pedal.

Just found a nice looking Singer sewing machine, very light, but it
has no cord and I can't test it until I figure out how to connect the
two slots in the wall to the three pins in the sewing machine. Is
it as simple as connecting the wall neutral to one pin, the wall hot
and one of the foot pedal wires to another, and the other pedal wire
to the third?

The pins are in a triangle arrangement, so cords are not plentiful,
and I probably won't be able to find one locally, only online.

I found a pedal/cord online, but it's 34 dollars plus shipping! I
wouldn't pay that much for the whole machine. Certainly too much to
spend without testing it first. I found just the cord for $15, but
even if I would use that, I would need the answer to the question at
the start. (Although rather than pay $15 for a molded plug on a cord,
I might just make my own out of PC-7. )

BTW, the frypan and its glass cover are doing fine. I've tried to
wipe off the condensation inside the lid, but it reappears to some
extent, depending on the food I suppose. Visited 6 thrift stores in
the last 3 days, only found what I wanted at number 3. Thanks for the
advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, I see now that there are electronic foot pedals!!!! Do you
think I have to find one of these for a Singer made in 1999, or can I
use my spare pedal that was made about 1950!?

Can I just connect the wires without a pedal in between and see how it
runs at full speed? I can take the sewing machine apart enough to
know which pins are which.

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:33:52 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

try calling some local sewing machine repair places. they might sell
youu one cheap off a junk machine
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

youu one cheap off a junk machine- Hide quoted text -

What he says is about the only thing to do if you don't want to buy
the correct cord new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ebay has loads and loads of sewing machines and parts. Not willing to
pay $34 for a machine? Zounds! What do you plan to do with it? If you
are going for no-cost, place an ad in Freecycle. One problem is that
Singer machines last forever, so getting a good machine or spare part at
such a low cost might be iffy. I would also try a Singer dealer, as it
is likely they have scavenged all kinds of parts. I got my machine
around 1968; it spent 10 years in a damp basement and still sews like a
champ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone who replied.

try calling some local sewing machine repair places. they might sell
youu one cheap off a junk machine

Ebay has loads and loads of sewing machines and parts.

I had already looked. This is an unusual plug. I said what ebay had,
just the one pedal/cord for $35 and the one cord for 15, but I still
need to know how to wire the $15 cord, which is what my question was.

Not willing to
pay $34 for a machine?

I don't even know yet if the machine works. Even though they rarely
break, they must break sometimes. In fact I have a very old machine
that breaks needles, even when not threaded. . (I did turn this one
manually and the needle goes down and up without breaking.)

Zounds! What do you plan to do with it? If you

I've made 3 things in the last 40 years. Mostly I just repair things.

But in addition to the machine that breaks needles, I have two other
machines, one is a White Rotary about 50 years old that wasn't
designed to do zigzag but otherwise works fine. And the other is a
very heavy electronic machine with lots of built in special stitches,
and a special monogrram accessory, and some other stuff, which a woman
on Freecycle gave me when she moved to Oregon. She said it only
worked sometimes, and that the repair cost was in the hundreds of
dollars. ( She gave me a serger too, which I gave to a friend of a
friend with an uphostery shop) For my machine, she also couldn't
find the foot pedal. It was a pneumatic pedal, which sucked on a tube
in the machine. That I could test, by putting a hose on the tube and
sucking with my mouth. It would be hard to do that for 30 minutes, so
I bought a pedal for about 25 dollars.

I don't know if this will work when I want to use it. Plus it's very
heavy.

are going for no-cost, place an ad in Freecycle. One problem is that
Singer machines last forever, so getting a good machine or spare part at
such a low cost might be iffy. I would also try a Singer dealer, as it
is likely they have scavenged all kinds of parts. I got my machine
around 1968; it spent 10 years in a damp basement and still sews like a
champ.

Exactly. I'm reluctant to go to a shop just to test the machine and
then when it works, refuse to pay the 30 dollars he wants. Except I
would do that at the shop where I bought the last pedal. He's far
away. In the time it takes me to get there, I could use jumper
wires to wire up a test pedal, if I knew how the pedal./cord was
wired.

Once it's running. I could put some little tubes with wires soldered
to them around the machines pins, put vaseline on the opening in the
machine, and then put pc-7 epoxee round the little tubes and the
wires. Then I would have my own plug that fits. Becaue of the
vaseline, it might even be removeable
Posted to alt.home.repair

i'm in uk I bought a pedal from amazon for £8 and a singer power cord from US for £11 plus £12 postage, easy to wire together for total of £31 works beautifully
Posted to alt.home.repair

Go the clip lead route. Full 120V into the machine should light up the light but not run the motor, so see if you can find those two pins. Then going thru the old foot pedal, clip it in on the third pin and try each of the two primary pins. One of those two should allow you to run the motor by pushing on the foot pedal. The foot pedal is a variable resistance in series with the motor windings.