Luds

Default Fingertip or foot pedal tig?

Does anyone have a recommendation to learn TIG welding with fingertip
or foot pedal control? Planning on buying the Miller Dynasty 200DX,
but need to determine to buy fingertip or foot pedal control.

Thanks!
Ted Edwards

Luds wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation to learn TIG welding with fingertip
or foot pedal control? Planning on buying the Miller Dynasty 200DX,
but need to determine to buy fingertip or foot pedal control.

I tried both when I first got my TIG and settled on torch mounted slider
rather than a foot peddle. This was a0 years a go and I'm still glad I
went that route.

Ted

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Luds
wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation to learn TIG welding with fingertip
or foot pedal control? Planning on buying the Miller Dynasty 200DX,
but need to determine to buy fingertip or foot pedal control.

Thanks!

Start with the footpedal.
It is a bit easier to learn with, and is very useful for bench work.
It can be used to trigger the sequencer as well, but is not so good for
"out of position" welding, such as when your head is jammed under a car
while you repair an exhaust pipe.

The Dynasty 200DX comes with a sequencer built in.
To best use this you will eventually want a simple button contactor.
Not a slider or roller amptrol, just a button.
The button is used to trigger the sequencer.
First tap starts the sequence, second tap stops the sequence.

You can build your own one-button contactor for about $30.

I have them on all my torches, both for my Mastar 200DX Inverter and my
Syncrowave 250DX.

Sequencers make sheet metal seams much easier.
Luds

Thank you for the replies!

May I also ask opinion on recommended setup? I need something
portable, and I am looking at the below setup for welding sheetmetal
to repair auto body/parts and would like to build a aluminum bicycle
frame:

Miller Dynasty 200DX

Miller Contractor Kit
Protective Case with carrying handle, DB1725R (25 ft) TIG torch,
RFCS-14 HD foot control, International Style Torch Adapters,
Regulator/Flowmeter, 200A Electrode Holder with 15 ft cable, 300A Work
Clamp with 15 ft cable, 12 ft Gas Hose, AK-2 Torch accessory kit, Gas
hose coupler.

40cu ft tank w/ Argon (Rent or buy???)

Tungsten electrodes

Tig welding gloves? I have thick gloves for arc welding... Also have
auto darkening helmet.

Thanks,

Luds
Luds

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in message ...
In article , Luds
wrote:

[...]

I'll have to read up on the sequencer. Is this feature built-in to any
of the tourch add-ons? How did you build your one-button contactor?

Thanks,

Luds
Luds

Are there cheaper kits or configurations other than this one offered
by Miller, or is this a good deal at $530ish?

Miller Contractor Kit with RFCS-14HD ALL-IN-ONE Accessory Kit

Kit includes: Protective Case with carrying handle, DB1725R (25 ft)
TIG torch, RFCS-14 HD foot control, International Style Torch
Adapters, Regulator/Flowmeter, 200A Electrode Holder with 15 ft cable,
300A Work Clamp with 15 ft cable, 12 ft Gas Hose, AK-2 Torch accessory
kit, Gas hose coupler.
===============================

Here is another setup for about $500 with the RFCS-14HD foot control
added. This better way to go? Do you recommedn 150Amp torch instead of
the 200Amp torch? Thanks...

200 Amp Air-Cooled TIG Torch Pkg.200 Amp Air-Cooled starter set comes
complete with:
Diamondback DB26R 200A, 25-foot TIG Torch
Argon Flowmeter/Regulator
10' Gas hose
15' Ground cable with clamp
TIG power block adapter
TIG spare parts accessory kit
TIG welding handbook
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Luds
wrote:

[...]

For what you want to do I feel the Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW is the
better machine, and is about $1000 cheaper than the Miller Dynasty
200DX.

The Thermal arc machine comes complete ready to go.
The Miller machine requires you to pay an additional amount for the
contractor kit.

$1700 versus $2700.

Listen I love Miller machines.
I have owned a series of them, and have 2 now, but...the Thermal Arc
Prowave 185TSW is just too good of a deal to pass up.
It does most of what the Dynasty does, and only penalizes you 15 amps
at the top end.

The one really good reason to buy the Dynasty is if you intend to do a
lot of field welding in different locations and need to be able to
operate off of any power available.

That is the main reason I love my Miller Maxstar 200DX and have for 3
years now.
I do a lot of field work, and I never know what voltage will be
available.
Miller's Autoline technology doesn't care.
As long as the power is somewhere between 100 and 500 volts, single or
3 phase, it works.

Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote:

[...]

I went to a welding repair shop and bought a standard replacement
button for plasma cutter torches, for $15.
It is a small low profile rubber armored button.
I then went to a electronics supplier and bought the correct Amphenol
connector for my Miller , for $15.
All I needed then was 25 feet of shielded 2 conductor wire, about $2.

The wire and switch need to be insulated because of the high frequency
leakage along the power cable.
If you don't insulate the wire and switch you can get a nasty shock off
the button.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Luds
wrote:

[...]

If you plan on doing a lot of heavy aluminum, the larger torch will
last longer before getting hot, but honestly if you really get into
doing a lot of aluminum, you will want to set up a water cooled torch.
Richard Coke

From: Ernie Leimkuhler

honestly if you really get into
doing a lot of aluminum, you will want to set up a water cooled torch.

This is very true. In fact I'd recommend that you get a water cooled torch to
begin with if you possibly can. Use it for all your bench/shop welding and only
use a gas cooled torch in the field. The cooling water can be supplied by the
city or from a water cooling tank/pump unit. Water cooled torches are much
more comfortable to use for extended periods of time and are easier to use in
confined places since they are smaller for a given amp capacity.

Richard Coke

Ken Cutt

From: Ernie Leimkuhler

honestly if you really get into
doing a lot of aluminum, you will want to set up a water cooled torch.

This is very true. In fact I'd recommend that you get a water cooled torch to
begin with if you possibly can. Use it for all your bench/shop welding and only
use a gas cooled torch in the field. The cooling water can be supplied by the
city or from a water cooling tank/pump unit. Water cooled torches are much
more comfortable to use for extended periods of time and are easier to use in
confined places since they are smaller for a given amp capacity.

Richard Coke

How much bulk and weight does water cooling add to the torch and hose ?

Ken Cutt

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Ken Cutt

From: Ernie Leimkuhler

honestly if you really get into
doing a lot of aluminum, you will want to set up a water cooled torch.

This is very true. In fact I'd recommend that you get a water cooled torch
begin with if you possibly can. Use it for all your bench/shop welding and
only
use a gas cooled torch in the field. The cooling water can be supplied by
the
city or from a water cooling tank/pump unit. Water cooled torches are much
more comfortable to use for extended periods of time and are easier to use
in
confined places since they are smaller for a given amp capacity.

Richard Coke

How much bulk and weight does water cooling add to the torch and hose ?

Ken Cutt

None.
It ends up about the same.
Air cooled torch cables have to be made larger to deal with the heat.
Water cooled torch cables can be smaller because of the water cooling.

The water-in line, and gas line are seperate, and the water-out line is
the power conductor.
So three smaller cables instead of one larger gas-power line.

Richard Coke

From: Ken Cutt

How much bulk and weight does water cooling add to the torch and hose ?

A water cooled torch is smaller than an equivalent gas cooled one. I have one
water cooled torch from CNI that I really like that is very compact. The
hoses are about the same. The power conductor is smaller because it is cooled
by the water flow out of the head but you have additional lines for the water
and gas supply. The gas hose is less than 1/4" OD the water supply and power
lead/water return are slightly over 1/4" OD for a 200 A torch. I use a heat
resistant sleeve over mine because I have paid the price for not using one. In
terms of overall bulk and stiffness in the hose set it's about the same as for
a gas cooled cable but the torch is much more comfortable to use. When I had a
shop in Brooklyn the welders had cooling units on them that ran when the welder
was on but now I just have a home shop with one welder and I use house water
run through the solenoid valve and the drain waters my garden or trees The
flow rate is around a pint per minute IIRC. In my opinion water cooled is the
only way to go unless you just absolutely can't get water to the welder.

Richard Coke

Ken Cutt

From: Ken Cutt

[...]

Pays to ask . I would have thought exactly the opposite otherwise
Ken Cutt