Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking round toilet bowl for Flushometer

I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:59*am, Don Wiss wrote:
I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for
commercial restrooms... It sounds like the toilet you
have seen was installed long ago before that requirement
came to be...

Most residential plumbing systems can not support
toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
cycled open and close "hard" which could create
a water-hammer effect...

It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a
properly equipped bathroom inside of it...
Unless you are willing to get creative and
consider a one-piece solution in the form
of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type
found in Japanese urban living units or inside
of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...

Good luck...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan wrote:

Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for
commercial restrooms... It sounds like the toilet you
have seen was installed long ago before that requirement
came to be...

It was installed in 1995 or 1996. I wonder when that code change came?

Most residential plumbing systems can not support
toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
cycled open and close "hard" which could create
a water-hammer effect...

I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
water.

It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a
properly equipped bathroom inside of it...
Unless you are willing to get creative and
consider a one-piece solution in the form
of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type
found in Japanese urban living units or inside
of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...

I was trying to get a toilet from The Netherlands. One with a wall tank and
little wasted space behind the bowl. But I was not able to find anyone
willing to ship one to the US.

I can fit a regular toilet, but it would be tight. I want to have as much
space as possible between the toilet and sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick
out very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few
have tanks on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall
tank is solely for an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl
with a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are
the values you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl
was the shortest I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called
their contractor and it was so long ago he no longer remembers what
make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

Any reason why you can't use a plain-jane round front toilet and put a Sloan
valve on it?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss writes:

On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan wrote:

Most residential plumbing systems can not support
toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
cycled open and close "hard" which could create
a water-hammer effect...

I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
water.

You'd need 1.25 from the street.

That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:57*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan wrote:
[...]

Your toilet from the Netherlands would cause you more
trouble than not, you would have to prove to the plumbing
inspector's satisfaction that said fixture complies with
all applicable building and plumbing codes enforced in
your area...

This is sounding like an open and shut case of what
you want to do won't fit where you want to put it...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:07:35 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

You'd need 1.25 from the street.
That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

That is what I have from the street. But then it gets reduced to 1" before
the water meter, and remains 1" after the meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 3:07*pm, Dan Espen wrote:
Don Wiss writes:
On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan wrote:

Most residential plumbing systems can not support
toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
cycled open and close "hard" which could create
a water-hammer effect...

I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
water.

You'd need 1.25 from the street.

That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

--
Dan Espen

Yeah, it would, but watch him do it anyway without
the proper sized main feed and post again baffled by
all the odd noises which start happening in his other
fixtures as suction occurs in the undersized lines...
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

Don:
According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 5:22*pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:07:35 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
You'd need 1.25 from the street.
That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

That is what I have from the street. But then it gets reduced to 1" before
the water meter, and remains 1" after the meter.

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

LOL...

That means that you only have a 1" feed to your
home...

The size pipe from the street is ok but the meter
and the piping after it throttle the flow to less than
you would need for the one proposed toilet...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2012, EXT wrote:

According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
it.

Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
bowl to be a problem.

I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
very negative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:

I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has
become very negative.

Yea, I've noticed that too.

Far too many negative people around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2012 8:56 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012, wrote:

According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
it.

Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
bowl to be a problem.

I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
very negative.

It's them dang foreigners and outer space aliens. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 12:38*am, Home Guy wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has
become very negative.

Yea, I've noticed that too.

Far too many negative people around here.

Ask a silly ass question that clearly shows you shouldn't
get involved in home repairs beyond changing the light bulbs
in your table lamps and using a phone book or the internet
to locate someone who knows what they are doing and
you get the responses you get...

Simple as that...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss writes:

On Fri, 25 May 2012, EXT wrote:

According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
it.

Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
bowl to be a problem.

I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
very negative.

Shame isn't it?

Some people post here to share information and help others.

I can't explain what goes on with the others.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 May 2012, Evan wrote:

Ask a silly ass question that clearly shows you shouldn't
get involved in home repairs beyond changing the light bulbs
in your table lamps and using a phone book or the internet
to locate someone who knows what they are doing and
you get the responses you get...

And yet another negative post!!

I got no useful information at all from this thread. But I was able to
figure out the search terms to find what I wanted.

First, I figured out that toilet bowl for a flushometer is called a "spud
toilet bowl" and adding round to that finds that they do exist. Here's one:

http://www.craneplumbing.com/productDetail.aspx?id=2892

It is 24 5/8" deep. It requires 25 p.s.i. and 1" pipe. I can easily feed it
1" pipe from the water meter. I spoke with the neighbor that has a
flushometer. They have never had any water hammer. Their only problem was
when the city was working on the water main dirt came in the pipe and it
clogged up the value and they had to have a plumber clean it out.

I then figured out the search term to use was "shortest projection toilet."
And that found me a couple in the UK. Here's the shortest (22.8" deep):

http://www.tradetaps.com/milton-cera...hortie-wc.html

But shipping from the UK is prohibitive.

I called Toto. Their shortest is 26 1/8" deep. I called American Standard.
The woman that answered had no idea and told me to look at each one on
their various websites. I left a voice mail for her supervisor. He called
back with a 26 1/2" deep toilet that was their shortest. But I had also
filled out their web form and asked. That came back with their shortest
depth is 24 1/2". See:

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/t...10-inch-rough/

It can be bought from Home Deport for $138 (no seat) and with free
shipping:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick
out very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few
have tanks on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall
tank is solely for an antique effect.

On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl
with a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are
the values you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl
was the shortest I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called
their contractor and it was so long ago he no longer remembers what
make the bowl is.

I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

As an alternative, consider a lavatory from a retired aircraft. It's got
everything you might want - including a "No Smoking" sign - and is designed
to fit in a space the size of a shoe box.