Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos

Default Toilet bowl doesn't fill like she used to

Relevant particulars:

*15 year-old American standard toilet
(not a 1.6 gallon flush)

*Ball-float is set so that water
level in tank is one millimetre below
top of filler tube

Problem:

After flushing, the bowl only fills itself
to about 2/3 of the depth that it used to
when new and with less "oomph" than
previously.

Manually flushing the toilet by dumping a
2 gallon pail of water directly into the
bowl yields the same (low) water level.

I had suspected than the holes in the rim
might be clogged with scale but that
wouldn't explain the low water levels when
pail-flushing would it ?

I'm wondering if perhaps a weir (or
whatever it might be called) somewhere in
the gooseneck of the trap might have
somehow gotten broken off, requiring
replacement of the toilet ?

Or, is it simply a matter of scale/gunk
buildup ?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you
can provide. Please send a copy of your
message directly to my e-dress is you
respond to the newsgroup.

=== * ===
Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos
Dunrobin, Ontario,Canada

(manually remove the spamguard DOG
from the domain name if you hit "reply"
to respond )

Speedy Jim

Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos wrote:

[...]

The trap is cast right into the bowl and wouldn't break
in any way that didn't leak. Any sign of leakage?

What happens if you *slowly* add water to the bowl from a bucket?
If the bowl refills to its normal level, the problem is in the
refill mechanism in the tank. A small tube from the ballcock
feeds water down the overflow tube to refill the bowl. See if
that refillt ube is in place and that it produces a steady stream
down the overflow as the tank refills.

Jim
Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos

Thanks for your speedy(!) reply Jim.

Yes, I have tried filling the bowl slowly
with a pail. Same low level I'm afraid,
hence the thought that the top edge of the
gooseneck might have somehow got broken
off creating a situation similar to a dam
in a river which has had it's top edge
smashed by some humongous logs rushing
downstream. (Not that I make a habit of
flushing humongous logs, of course.)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:54:26 -0500, Speedy
Jim wrote:
[...]

Bill Seurer

Emilio Teodoro Lopez-Garazgos wrote:

Yes, I have tried filling the bowl slowly
with a pail. Same low level I'm afraid,

Try using a good closet auger. You might have a partial blockage that
is letting some of the water seep past sort of like how the bowl will
sometimes empty if it is mostly clogged.

I recently got a heavy duty one that was kind of pricey ($45 I think)
but that sucker is GREAT. It took about 15 seconds each to unclog my
ailing toilets (see a previous posting about that) and they've worked
fine since. It's 3' long but can be extended to 6'.